Troopy --> Identifying 3B engine and H4 button (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

1. ENGINE:
Can some please confirm if this the attached pic indeed looks like a 3B engine from a 1989 BJ.75 Troop carrier? Also, why some engine components look like red/rust colored?

2. NO H4 BUTTON:
On the 89 troopy, would it be normal to NOT have the H4 button on dash?

engine.jpg

Agreed on the color. looks like a mix and heat stained. When you say H4 button you mean button button? Or light? Im not aware of a button on the bj troopys.

Manual hubs and 4wd stick? Should be 4 hi and 4 low on the smaller stick. No buttons that i know of.

Yes I mean the H4 button not the light, similar to what BJ70,73,74 have. Yes, the shorter stick seems to have H2,H4,N and L4 .... but not button on dash.

That is a late 3Bii.

The H4 button is only on Trucks with a vacuum actuated transfer case.

Crawl under your truck and look at where the front drive shaft goes to the output shaft. If there is a saucer looking thing attached to the front of the transfer case, you have a vacuum transfer case and would need a H4 button.

By the looks of your engine bay, you don't have the vacuum solenoid on the firewall.

More than likely you have a normal mechanical transfer case.

You can also tell by looking at your transfer case shifter.

Thanks Beno for confirming it's a 3Bii engine. Just curious what are the signs that make it a 3Bii?

Also, any thoughts about the red/rustic color?

:) Thank you sir

I didn't know toyota had a 3Bii variant. Guess it might have a few more HP and torque???

I am not mechanically inclined, at first look I thought it was an HZ engine.

You would prefer the 1HZ.

The consolidation of design rationale was happening right around that time period hence the "ribbed" valve cover like the 1HZ.

Thanks Beno for confirming it's a 3Bii engine. Just curious what are the signs that make it a 3Bii?

Also, any thoughts about the red/rustic color?

The most obvious signs are the plastic valve cover that 90s Toyota diesels had across their range, forklifts and airport tow trucks also had them
I think the 12HT from the mid 80s also had one.
The other is the rotary fuel pump not seen in the pic. This also means it will have the fuel solenoid cut off in the fuel pump.
I think it will also have the built in vacuum pump and power steering pump.
This makes it the best and most modern version of the 3B
There are many other differences.
I think I can see a power assisted clutch.

The red dust/rust thing is quite common in Australia, even with privately owned Landcruisers like mine. Both of my 75 series had red stained engines, probably from puddles on dirt roads. It hits a hot engine and gets baked on. If its thinly baked on, its no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom