Transmission question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will an 8/80 fj40 transmission fit a 7/80 fj40? Mine is grinding in 2nd gear and I have no idea how to rebuild one or where to get the parts. Could it just be the clutch? It doesn't grind all the time. Any suggestions??

Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited:
Sounds like it may be the 1st to 2nd gear synchro. Grinding may be intermittent because you are not shifting at the correct RPM consistently.
Confirm it is happening during shifting.

Sounds like it may be the 1st to 2nd gear synchro. Grinding may be intermittent because you are not shifting at the correct RPM consistently.
If I keep the RPM low it "usually" won't grind, but its pretty hit and miss; I can also run it through the gears without the clutch if I don't rev the engine at all.

If I keep the RPM low it "usually" won't grind, but its pretty hit and miss; I can also run it through the gears without the clutch if I don't rev the engine at all.
Sounds like you may have more problems than a bad synchro. Not sure how the trans could change gears without grinding at idle.

Sounds like you may have more problems than a bad synchro. Not sure how the trans could change gears without grinding at idle.
lol actually a mechanic had me do that...I've done it before with another FJ40 in the past, its kind of a quirky trick. So, if it is a syncro issue do you have any idea when I could buy the parts? Thank you for all your help!

I will be rebuilding my trans and txfr in the near future. Rebuild kits are available from some of the great vendors here on mudd. Hard part is sourcing new synchros. If you have another trans either use that for parts or do a swap and see what happens.
On my truck I have to be at pretty high revs to avoid grinding between 1 and 2. All other gears are fine.

If you can drive it to Lancaster, FJ40Jim can help. He has an impeccable rep on this forum. If I wasn’t in Tucson, I’d take my 40 to him.

If you can drive it to Lancaster, FJ40Jim can help. He has an impeccable rep on this forum. If I wasn’t in Tucson, I’d take my 40 to him.
Thank you, I tried to call him...maybe I had the wrong number???

Didn't see your original question answered. If you have a 8/80 transmission with split transfer a 7/80 transmission from a 7/80 that had a one piece transfer it will NOT fit. 7/80 the tailshaft is sixteen spline and 8/80 is nineteen spline.

Didn't see your original question answered. If you have a 8/80 transmission with split transfer a 7/80 transmission from a 7/80 that had a one piece transfer it will NOT fit. 7/80 the tailshaft is sixteen spline and 8/80 is nineteen spline.
Thank you...not sure what I am going to do. Was going to try and replace the clutch first because it is definitely worn. Hoping it takes care of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom