Transmission chugging noise on 94 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone:

I recently dropped my transmission pan to change out the ATF and clean the filter on my 94 FJ80. The transmission is now making a really funky and consistent whirring noise- Kind of like a chugga-chugga-chugga-chugga- no matter what gear it's in (including park). In addition, I’m noticing an ATF drip through the weep holes where the tranny meets the engine. This drip seems to occur only when running through the gears with the shifter while sitting in the garage vs a consistent drip.

The picture shows the ATF drip on the right side with the transmission pan on the left.

As additional info, after I changed the ATF, I noticed the car would not start in 1st gear nor shift to first gear on this hills in my neighborhood. It could still shift to first with the shifter, however. This led me to believe it could be a bad solenoid problem. However, with this new consistent whirring noise, I’m not so sure.

Does anyone have experience with these symptoms or any guidance on what I should check? I’m a newb to transmission work, so any guidance is much appreciated.

Transmission leaking.jpg

Last edited:
1) did you refill the transmission?
2) how much fluid did you put back in?
3) how did you check the level?

Proper level check is done with transmission warm (minimum 10 mile drive), stop, leave it in DRIVE, pull the transmission dipstick and wipe off. Reinsert and pull to check the level on the marks. It should be between the two and closer to the top one.

Yes I refilled the transmission with about 5 quarts of Dextron II ATF. I measured the amount I drained and refilled to that level. I checked levels after driving around for a few minutes.

The car then sat for about two weeks before I could get back to it and when I started her up today, the new noise described in the thread was happening.

QUOTE="BILT4ME, post: 11650220, member: 82819"]1) did you refill the transmission?
2) how much fluid did you put back in?
3) how did you check the level?

Proper level check is done with transmission warm (minimum 10 mile drive), stop, leave it in DRIVE, pull the transmission dipstick and wipe off. Reinsert and pull to check the level on the marks. It should be between the two and closer to the top one.[/QUOTE]

I have never removed the strainer on the land cruiser but I did do it once on a P38 Land Rover. I failed to notice that there were 2 O-Rings and I missed one during the reinstall. Transmission played up terribly. Took me a a few miles to figure our my error but once fixed it ran like a champ....

*Exactly* what fluid did you use? I ask because Dexron II is no longer licensed.

Hey Guys:

Thanks for the help so far. I used an STP multi purpose ATF. See images. The bottle indicates it should be good with Dexron II specifications. Let me know what you think.

ATF Back.jpg

ATF.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom