Transitional rattle or pinging - Need some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CodyRx7 I believe you are experiencing the "pinging" mentioned in this thread. I know my 93 (w/200k) and my 96 both do it just on/off throttle with light load. I've given up worrying about it for now.

Pinging, ehh?

I don't know what the sound of pinging is...but I figured it to sound like "ping ping ping ping?.

This is definately sounding like someone with emphysema (sp?) or hocking up a loogie.

Is that what pinging actually sounds like?

It is more of a rattle to my ear.

I looked up "pinging sounds like" on Yahoo, and found people saying it sounds like shaking BBs in a can, or popping popcorn in a microwave, or the sound or rice krispies right after you pour in the milk...

Those all kinda sound like ways to describe this noise.

If its pinging, how low should I set my timing?

I didn't hear any ping on the way home. Decided to suck the other half of the can up the PCV hose while my son held her at 2k rpm. I let it sit for an hour, then took her out to clear the smoke and try to make it rattle/ping.

Observations: Off-throttle response was notably smoother (even after the first treatment) and I could not make it ping no matter what I did. This was on 89 octane, which normally will ping, especially when it is hot (it was still in the low 90's when I went out tonight. It was 99 according to Yahoo! weather when I left the office.

As you all know, we get awfully familiar with our vehicles, to where we notice the least little thing different. This Seafoam up the vac hose really did make a difference. I will add this to my maintenance list if this improvement is more than just short-lived.

Can you explain how you used the seafoam a little better to eliminate the pinging please. Ive never used it but i have some pinging that sounds similar and trying to fix it.

I just found the cause of my rattle-pinging noise. The nuts on the rear o2 sensor either rusted or fell off. When going around a corner and accelerating, I had the ping like noise from the loose o2 sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom