Transfer cases... again? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't know a lot of people personally here on Mud, but have wheeled with some of you. I've learned so much from "down to earth" people and I do appreciate the kind help and encouragement. GREAT BUNCH OF FOLKS! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I've decided to replace my transfer case. When I started my build back in 97 (thanks Woody) I used the J30 and thought that was a good idea cause of the low ratio advantage. I've been happy with it, but at this time I'm on a new mission. Wife wont ride with me unless I try to do some NOISE ABATEMENT and other issues (like draftiness)... hmmm?

Regardless, I looked for (search function, Yea!) vendor who sells take offs, but then I thought. I rebuilt the unit I have when I first put it in. It has been a good unit, but gear whine is unbearable,:princess: no likey. If some one has a 75 - 79 4sp unit they want to sell or perhaps trade, (as Val Kilmer would say, I'm your dingle berry). I have no idea what these single cases go for$. PM me if ya want to do a deal. I lurk almost every day.

1. Ear plugs and a jacket? Sorry I just had to. Do you have any sound deadener and good weatherstripping? It works for the hot rods. I have to bring a step stool to get my wife up in one of my 40’s. Yes I have had 4 speeds that are much quieter then the 3 speeds. Good luck, John

I’m pulling the 4-speed to go to a J30 on my truck - I’m curious how much of a difference there will be. For what it’s worth, if you expect the 4-speed case to be quiet, you are in for a surprise.

I would consider a split case if you want a lot less noise. It's not a direct swap and requires a different parking brake solution unless you find a $$ split case parking drum setup. But it is stronger and quieter.

cruiserlad, I'm thinking Val Kilmer said Huckle Berry ???
I don't know if one of the "Thick Billet Aluminum" Earl Warden transfer-cases would be quieter, but if some Mudders agree they might, I happen to have a NEW/empty 3 speed Warden transfer-case in my ebay store- - -just saying.

Jim, I know, just my sense of humor. No doubt your right, but otoh I think trying to find a split case makes better sense to me. Parking brake is not an issue. Wonder who's sellin a split case and cuando $?

Ear plugs and a jacket? Sorry I just had to. Do you have any sound deadener and good weatherstripping? It works for the hot rods. I have to bring a step stool to get my wife up in one of my 40’s. Yes I have had 4 speeds that are much quieter then the 3 speeds. Good luck, John
Pardion, yes, I am considering options for sound deadening and getting a list up for better weather stripping. I carry a step stool for my :princess:(and me?). When I built my rig 14 years ago noise abatement was not a big consideration (wasn't married then). Time and age have taken their toll on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom