Transfer Case Tuneup and Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got my 200 back today. Had to replace the TCA - I tried all the tricks, but I'm not mechanically inclined (or have the time) to tear it apart and rebuild it. It was a pricey SOB, but I shouldn't have to worry about it again. I plan to exercise 4 Lo and the CDL more often (have only used it during my test drive before I bought it). Any other suggestions are welcome, but I hope you don't have to pay out of pocket. Ooof.
At least it's done and back to functioning like it should.

I'm optimistic to not to have to venture down this road. As prior posters mentioned, I have a reminder to cycle the cdl and 4LO every month. It's not for a huge jaunt, but does cycle the mechanism (hopefully) enough to keep issues from developing due to atrophy/lack of use.
 
At least it's done and back to functioning like it should.

I'm optimistic to not to have to venture down this road. As prior posters mentioned, I have a reminder to cycle the cdl and 4LO every month. It's not for a huge jaunt, but does cycle the mechanism (hopefully) enough to keep issues from developing due to atrophy/lack of use.
I think a big part was the previous owner was some lady who probably never ventured past the mall parking lot. I have plenty of opportunities to use the CDL and/or 4L, but I'll be more conscientious.
 
I tackled this job today and figured I'd add pictures of my actuator for more data points.

First off, thanks Teckis and others for documenting this. Especially @isthatalexus for his post way back in 2022 outlining the clocking procedure.. that's what I used and it went great.

My rig has 240k, a lot of which is highway, very little corrosion, very consistent maintenance. I would rarely get a flashing CDL light, but cooler weather and especially cold mornings when camping in the mountains would help trigger them. After things were warmed up a power cycle would generally clear it. For that reason it wasn't very high on my priority list. I would also get an error code related to the 4wd system stored in the computer, but I can't remember what it was.

Lately I started to get a couple flashing lights in the middle of a texas summer.. that's a sign I needed to handle this. Then I couldn't get it to clear after the first warm up cycle, and when exercising the actuators a few miles from home in a parking lot I almost got it stuck in 4Lo. That prompted me to read all the way through this thread.

In my case, there was zero corrosion inside the actuator housing or motors, or the microswitch. Literally the only spots that didn't look perfect were the spots that the contactors spent most of their time on the rub strips. Switch ohmed out perfectly, and looked great inside.

Breather hose was cracked, substantially.

I just cleaned off the impacted areas of the rub strips and contactors, spread the existing grease around, put the switch back together, and bolted it all up with a new silicon hose and we're back in business.

A note about the hose.. the rubber portion is only a few inches long, attaching to a smaller diameter poly line that runs along the top of the Tcase and transmission. You can easily work the old rubber line off and replace it with 3mm silicon vacuum hose. That stuff should be far more resistant to the temps under here and outlast the truck.

Pics for data

actuator end
IMG_9313.webp


poly line end. Note what appears to be some glue
IMG_9314.webp


IMG_9312.webp


IMG_9311.webp
 
IMG_9309.webp


IMG_9310.webp


IMG_9308.webp


IMG_9307.webp
 
This is the poly line above the tcase. Much easier to get to this if you do it without the CDL (top) portion of the actuator installed.

IMG_9315.webp


IMG_9316.webp
 
This is the poly line above the tcase. Much easier to get to this if you do it without the CDL (top) portion of the actuator installed.

View attachment 4203032

View attachment 4203033
Awesome discovery with the hose. I built a coupling and extension.
I'm embarrassed to admit, my CDL is inop once again since the last disassembly... Which was to fix 4L, and ended up being the switch in the cabin.
This is my clown car. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my clown car, I would have more time for wheeling. With our me, my clown car would have a different owner who would have less time to wheel. Semper Fixit!
 
Back
Top Bottom