Transfer case shifter rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an annoying rattle when I get some speed going where the transfer case shifter is making noise. I can simply push the shifter up a bit and it will stop the rattling (see attached video). Short of getting an elastic strap and cinching it down to the heater box, is there an easy and clean fix for this?

a rubber boot similar to the transmission shift lever will help, i jam mine down to hold the lever quiet

Have you greased it? The shifter pivots on a shaft extending from the trans. There's a grease fitting there. I think there should be rubber bushings on the linkage connections too. Idk, if that'll cure the rattle or not.

Thanks to both for the suggestions. I will looking into these.

Mine is the same, it’s like a buzzing noise. If I touch the shift knob it stops.

I had the same, mine turned out to be the nut on the linkage had vibrated loose a turn and the washer was creating a significant harmonic vibration, tightened it and it disappeared. You can see it by removing the boot.

Being a 74 it has the early shifter. Later has fewer parts. Hardest part to changing over the lever on top of the transfer case needs to point forward. That requires the piece that goes thru top plate. A quick solution is a heavy rubber band attached between the two shifters that keeps pressure on the transfer case lever.

I gave up on this decades ago, I wrap a small bungee around the shaft and hook it to the heater box. Not pretty but it works.

Being a 74 it has the early shifter. Later has fewer parts. Hardest part to changing over the lever on top of the transfer case needs to point forward. That requires the piece that goes thru top plate. A quick solution is a heavy rubber band attached between the two shifters that keeps pressure on the transfer case lever.
My Dad had an early Scout with twin sticks and they vibrated so bad that he cut up inner tubes to wrap around the sticks like the rubber bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom