Transfer case re-gearing (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Once I get my set I will do a write up on the install when Im able to actually do it.. I will also report on how they break in with periodic oil changes and drain plug magnet inspections for shavings and what not... Should be a PITA but a necessary evil for long term durability and confidence in the gear set. I plan on driving my rig ALOT as it is our camping and exploring rig!

dear sres i reed all these threads and at this time i am very confused me lc hdj80 turbodiesel 1995 have 265/70/16 stock tyres the diferential ratio is 41/10 manual transmission 5 speed in highway at 2600 rpm its 110 kph i need regearing the transfer case to give 110 kph at 2200 rpm is it posible?
thanks in advance and excuseme me english is not the best

dear sres i reed all these threads and at this time i am very confused me lc hdj80 turbodiesel 1995 have 265/70/16 stock tyres the diferential ratio is 41/10 manual transmission 5 speed in highway at 2600 rpm its 110 kph i need regearing the transfer case to give 110 kph at 2200 rpm is it posible?

Put 4.56 set diff ratio in the axle

Any updates on the install or consensus of the installed underdrive and low range combo for 315's?

@OTRAMM just installed both sets for me in a spare transfer case I picked up with low miles. If he sees this maybe he can provide feedback on the install. The transfer case won't be installed until next week and I don't know when I'll pull the trigger on the 315s, maybe not until the Spring but we'll see. I might not be able to stand waiting. :D

@iptman 's gear install went smoothly. I took a bunch of pictures that I need to get around to uploading. It wasn't a difficult job but you'll need a press and a decent set of pullers or some creativity.
20170912_111100.jpg

I received my gear set a couple weeks ago. but it will be a while before I can install them. Probably going to be a winter project with a spring install.. 31/34 tooth gears for a reduction of high range.
Good looking gear set!

Anyone who could PM me with cost for the set?

Also. Any plus or minus concerning strength vs going with aftermarket ring and pinion sets?

Also. Any plus or minus concerning strength vs going with aftermarket ring and pinion sets?

I believe @orangefj45 is the current distributor of these. As for strength, they should be cut by the same Japanese supplier who does the OEM gears, if I remember correctly.

Put 4.56 set diff ratio in the axle

Absolutely not!!!!
That would increase the freeway RPMs.

The OP should either switch to 3.70s ( which is a unicorn in 80s ), or run the 10% Terrain Tamer OD gears or go to larger tires.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

We have the high range UD and OD gear sets in stock as well as the 3.1:1 low range gears.

Strength isn't a concern; these gears are made by SeaMaster, who has been the OEM gear & shaft supplier for Toyota for decades ....

Feel free to call or message me anytime.

Shop 209-475-8808

Absolutely not!!!!
That would increase the freeway RPMs.

The OP should either switch to 3.70s ( which is a unicorn in 80s ), or run the 10% Terrain Tamer OD gears or go to larger tires.

what only 10% im looking for disassembly me transfer case and make a new kit of gears for minimun 20% od me engine have a lot of power me manual transmission is 5 speed but i dont use the first i move the lc with the second i need more od

what only 10% im looking for disassembly me transfer case and make a new kit of gears for minimun 20% od me engine have a lot of power me manual transmission is 5 speed but i dont use the first i move the lc with the second i need more od
3.70 in your diffs, bigger tires or 10% od in your Tcase. Those are your only options.

I'd love to see what you come up with.

I did. Been running them for a couple months now with 285s, will get 315s in the spring. I've had no problems with them at all, no weird noises or anything. I'll do a drain and fill on the transfer case once temps rise a bit here locally and see if there's anything no bueno there.

265/70/16 tires are smaller than stock, at least here in the USA. 2600 to 2200 rpm is close to 20%. I think you need to get 315/75/16 tires to get the gearing where you want it.

I ran my GPS and scan gauge this morning on my way to work and on worn down 285/75/16 Goodyear MTRs I registered 2150 RPM at 60 MPH on a fairly flat section of road. I don't actually know what this was on the stock gears so if someone could do the same I'd be interested to know the real world RPM difference.

I ran my GPS and scan gauge this morning on my way to work and on worn down 285/75/16 Goodyear MTRs I registered 2150 RPM at 60 MPH on a fairly flat section of road. I don't actually know what this was on the stock gears so if someone could do the same I'd be interested to know the real world RPM difference.

I can make a 60mph pass in the morning with the 94 and post up the numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom