Transfer Case Leak, Center Diff Lock Not Working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I recently purchased a 99 LX470 and have been in the process of getting it fixed up. After replacing the transfer case fluid I have since noticed that it is leaking. Also, my center diff lock has recently stopped working.

It appears that the leak is from the front output shaft in the front extension housing, probably from a bad oil seal and dust deflector. I have researched and found similar issues on the GX470 and 80-series but it seems to be rare on the LX. I found this guide for the 80-series here which seems similar: Replacing the rear transfer case output seal

The FSM is not super clear and I am not sure how similar this job is to the 80-series writeup above so I have a few questions:
1. What components should be replaced when attempting to stop this leak other than the dust deflector and oil seal?
2. Do I have to remove the entire transfer case or just the front extension housing?
3. Would this leak prevent my center diff lock from operating? How would I troubleshoot the locking?
4. How long/difficult of a job would it be to replace this?

I am a hobbyist mechanic but do not have very much 4x4 experience and need to know what all I need and whether or not I should attempt to do this myself.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom