Transfer case ID help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evening-I know next to nothing about Toyota trucks and am trying to figure out what is in a truck I have that was pieced together:

is there a way to tell if I have the 21 or 23 spline t-case without taking it out?

I was told it was an 85. It is a top shift, gear drive. Other than that, don't know much.

I've searched for hours and am more confused than when I began.

Thanks, D

It's most likely a 21 spline. 23 were either in v6 transmissions or the turbo transmissions.

Marlin Crawler has lots of info on identifying tranny.

Thanks-I had looked at the marlin crawler page but it didn't help as I don't know for certain what year it is, or what motor it came with. It is currently behind an OM617 and I need to order gaskets and maybe 4:1 crawler gears, which is hard to do when you don't what you have.

So, back to the question, is there a way to tell what transfer case I have without removing it?

So, back to the question, is there a way to tell what transfer case I have without removing it?
We all would really like to help, but right now my x-ray eyes are not working well. To answer your question definitively ... you will need to pull it.

Can you at least provide some pictures? Bellhousing, transmission, transfer case? That would really help. I'm willing to bet it's 21 spine. But, answer these question ...

• What transmission do you have? Marlin's transmission pictures should help. At least try to decide if it's an R, W, or G-series tranny. That should be possible from Marlin's pictures.

• What transmission does you truck say it came with? See: Gearratiosanddiffs. This link is for diffs, but that tag also tells you what transmission your truck came with from the factory. The tag will be on the firewall. The code after the diff code is the transmission.

• Is there an adapter between the transmission and transfer case? Think Marlin MCTC-132. This adaptor would be necessary to mate the gear drive TC to a R150F (V6) 23-spline transmission.

• What are you working on? You original post doesn't say. A 1985 what?

I was told it was an 85. It is a top shift, gear drive. Other than that, don't know much.
Thanks, D

Check the VIN tag on the driver's side B-piller. It will give you the month and year it was built. 10/84 + will be a 1985 model year.

We all would really like to help, but right now my x-ray eyes are not working well. To answer your question definitively ... you will need to pull it.

Can you at least provide some pictures? Bellhousing, transmission, transfer case? That would really help. I'm willing to bet it's 21 spine. But, answer these question ...

• What transmission do you have? Marlin's transmission pictures should help. At least try to decide if it's an R, W, or G-series tranny. That should be possible from Marlin's pictures.

• What transmission does you truck say it came with? See: Gearratiosanddiffs. This link is for diffs, but that tag also tells you what transmission your truck came with from the factory. The tag will be on the firewall. The code after the diff code is the transmission.

• Is there an adapter between the transmission and transfer case? Think Marlin MCTC-132. This adaptor would be necessary to mate the gear drive TC to a R150F (V6) 23-spline transmission.

• What are you working on? You original post doesn't say. A 1985 what?

Check the VIN tag on the driver's side B-piller. It will give you the month and year it was built. 10/84 + will be a 1985 model year.

I'm not meaning to be elusive, but the info I gave is all I have: The transmission is in a 1966 FJ40. I do not know where the transmission came from, and I suspect the transfer case came from yet another truck (no adapter) the PO thought it was an 85 truck. That's why I asked if the transfer case can be id'ed without removing it, as I don't have any of that info

I'm not meaning to be elusive, but the info I gave is all I have: The transmission is in a 1966 FJ40. I do not know where the transmission came from, and I suspect the transfer case came from yet another truck (no adapter) the PO thought it was an 85 truck. That's why I asked if the transfer case can be id'ed without removing it, as I don't have any of that info

Well, that helps. If you don't want to pull the TC, you need to ID the transmission. Baring that ... sorry, the TC needs to come down. Did you by chance get the FJ40 out of New Mexico?

That helps. Sounds like I will have to bite the bullet and remove the transfer case. The truck is a California truck

Well, if you're going to put gaskets and 4:1 gears in it, you're going to have to take the TC out to do that anyway. Best to know the facts, no guesswork. As of this AM, Marlin was charging an extra $50 for 23 spline input (I was doing some bench racing) which is probably smart behind an OM617. Pics would be nice, sounds like a cool project. I hope your PO had the sense to use the stronger W or R series trans behind that OM617, not the G series trans. If not, you may want to consider swapping the trans and going to 23 spline TC input. GL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom