1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans cooler lines severed! But no leaking...?!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by ThePatient1, Mar 19, 2017.

1. ThePatient1

ThePatient1

Truck is a '94 fzj-80 U.S spec.

So I was doing a little inspecting around my truck and figuring out routing of hoses and such just to get more familiar with things...Take a look at the below photos:

IMG_2069 copy.jpg
    IMG_2070.JPG
    Both lines from the trans cooler look like they've been cut!? Return and sending line...? (The oil you see in the second photo is liquid wrench I sprayed on the bumper bolts for removal.)

I have checked transmission fluid level periodically and here and there when I fill up, or do an oil change etc, it has always been full and I do not get any transmission fluid leaks on the ground either so I am perplexed...I thought I read on here when researching this that the fluid gets sent through the cooler and back into the transmission am I right?

Is it possible some PO bypassed the cooler and just routed the sending/return line together? I tried tracing back from the radiator the oil cooler lines (I have looked through a lot of threads before posting for info) and am I correct that in the below photo is the hard lines from transmission that goes to the trans cooler?

IMG_2074 copy.jpg

In the above photo, where you see the clip to the right, and the rubber hose, is about as far as I can see until it disappears underneath the stock skid plate/engine plate part. I assume I have to remove that skid plate to find out whats going on past that arrow...

But again, no trans fluid leaking... Trans fluid level is full...Shifts fine. What gives?

2. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

Is it only running the cooler in the radiator?

3. ThePatient1

ThePatient1

I believe so. I spent some more time shimmying my way around under the truck, and I think the top line off the hard line is running into a hose, that loops underneath the battery box, and back down into the bottom of the radiator on the driver side. And the other hard line hose is running across the front of the engine to the opposite side of the radiator.

4. ThePatient1

ThePatient1

Are my assumptions correct in the below photo?

IMG_2076 copy.jpg

So I guess my auxiliary cooler has just been bypassed by some PO and left there?

5. Maleficio

Maleficio

Maybe the cooler leaks and PO didn't feel like replacing it.

6. ThePatient1

ThePatient1

Yeah perhaps. I only drive it to work and back in town, like 3 miles or so. Nothing I'm worried about. I would love to see a routing diagram or something with the auxiliary cooler and how it gets hooked up because I honestly have no idea how the auxiliary cooler and the radiator cooler are incorporated together via the two hard lines...?

7. Rifleman

Rifleman

Thepatient1, when i checked a Toyota parts site for your cooler, they listed oil cooler P/N 32910-60110 as NLA, so if yours is bad you could look for a used one in the Mud classifieds. One other thing i noticed in one of your photos, Your running a set of aftermarket Vee belts on your truck. A lot of members here think the factory belts run better then aftermarket ones. So if you want to replace those belts with a matched set of factory belts, they will set you back about 9 bucks for both belts. Many members say the factory belts are quieter, and run cooler then those knobby belts do. P/N for the fan belt set is 90916-02353.

scrowley likes this.