Trailer hitch wiring harness - 100 series (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, all. The wiring harness for the trailer hitch on my 1999 LC has bit the dust. the posts corroded and the wiring is shot.
Does anyone know how to get to the harness to replace it? Is it inside the car somewhere? All I see is it running into the rear driver's side fender.

I don't really like it sitting under the hitch like it does, but I'll deal with that after I replace the harness.

Thanks,

Charlie

Derp. Just looked it up and found where the harness connects. It's above the muffler on the passenger side.
next qyestion. Where can I find one? Tekshona has one, but it is for 2001 and up. I'd think it's the same. It looks the same, but I don't want to waste the time if it isn't.

Derp. Just looked it up and found where the harness connects. It's above the muffler on the passenger side.
next qyestion. Where can I find one? Tekshona has one, but it is for 2001 and up. I'd think it's the same. It looks the same, but I don't want to waste the time if it isn't.
Round 3. The harness goes up through the drivers side fender where the jack is. And apparently goes up to the brake light on the tail gate. If i cut that, I'm not sure how to pick up that brake light. If not the other brake lights. The other lights/blinkers are working.

Hmmm. Brake lights all work with the plug disconnected. I guess I'll cut the wires near where they go thru the fender and just replace the harness.

Still need to find one though.

Last edited:
The one in my rig doesn't have the control box. But I guess it won't hurt. They have a nice couple of angle plates to mount the 4-prong thing to as well.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it is there behind the brake light. That's why it runs all the way up there IIRC. Mine is a 98. If yours goes up there like mine it's the "upgraded, or recall" OEM part. The flat 4pin should say Toyota on it. Mine does. I just loosened the mount for it and ran the new one through so the new 4pin is in front of the old one. Multimeter says it's working. I've yet to hook up the trailer though. The ground wire is all you have to worry about other than unplugging and plugging the original connector.

I'm pretty sure it is there behind the brake light. That's why it runs all the way up there IIRC. Mine is a 98. If yours goes up there like mine it's the "upgraded, or recall" OEM part. The flat 4pin should say Toyota on it. Mine does. I just loosened the mount for it and ran the new one through so the new 4pin is in front of the old one. Multimeter says it's working. I've yet to hook up the trailer though. The ground wire is all you have to worry about other than unplugging and plugging the original connector.
Yeah, I guess. Just glad that the brake lights don't go through that wiring. I just cut the wiring behind the fender and below the jack access area. Got the wiring harness and mounting hardware on order.

Thanks for the info. Wish I still had my '71 FJ 40 in my pic!

Last edited:
You can also use a junction box like this one to splice into the original harness. MaxxHaul 80763 Harness Junction Box (for 7 6-Way Trailer Wire Connectors), Regular https://a.co/d/9JoPVOa

I did this to add an in bumper trailer connector into my Trail Tailor bumper. It has a silicone gasket and little grommets. It is nice to tap into the same circuit for the bumper lights.

Jumping in on this thread so the info is consolidated.

I followed the recommendations here and bought the Curt unit linked above. But it doesn't fit my 98. Etrailer was stumped that it didn't fit and offered to pay for return shipping.

The first 3 pics are of the unit I pulled out of my LC. The last pic is of the Curt unit. As you can see, the plugs are different and don't fit.

No idea what's going on here and Etrailer didn't either. I'm not the first owner so Im unsure of the history.

1000003530.jpg
1000003531.jpg
1000003532.jpg
1000003533.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom