Trailer build - FJ62 - advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I have decided I need a trailer to tow behind my fj62. I've done a ton of research on expedition trailer builds and have seen some great designs, mostly for jeeps, but would love to hear of anyone's experience with building something specifically tailored to a 60 series or general characteristics to look for in selecting an old used trailer platform to use as a starting point. The m416 trailers are a bit out of my price range. Hoping to get the box built, and rolling for $500ish dollars, not including tires or the mig welder I'm going to have to purchase.

The info I'm hoping for is:

1.) any great threads here on Mud that anyone knows of? I've had trouble finding.

2.) A parts list for any previous builds if anyone has one. Not sure where to start with finding a good axle, spindles, the correct hubs to accept stock 60 series wheels, leaf springs, mounts, etc. Being able to run matching wheels/tires seems like a must for emergency spares if need be.

3.) frame dimensions for axle placement and tongue length for the right balance

4.) The best track width that folks have had good luck with that reflects a nice balance between matching the vehicles track while being thin enough to follow well around tighter turns.

5.) recommended hitch styles.

6.) what size tubing would people recommend the frame and box be built from to give enough strength while keeping weight down. I've seen some amazing build threads that seem like they might be seriously over built.

I'm sure I will come up with MANY more questions as I go. This is my first time delving into project like this and I cant pretend I have any idea what I'm doing. I know I'll figure it out one way or another but would love to avoid reinventing wheels when possible.

Thanks folks!

P.S. I'm located in the Los Angeles area in case anyone has any trailers/parts/help they would like to sell.

The Trailer Tech section would be you best bet for quick answers and ideas. A build I did for a client is in there along with many others.

J

SAM_2065.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom