Trail Tailor lockable tailgate lid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow! Thanks Charlie. I didn't see that part in Eric Sarjeant's video. lol. That's a lot of metal cutting.

I don't have an air powered cutoff wheel but could pick one up fairly cheap. More concerned if my Dewalt 4.5 gallon compressor that's rated 5.0 SCFM at 90 PSI is up to the task. I don't have space for a bigger air compressor. Guess I could also use my electric angle grinder w cutting wheel.

No need to complicate. Just go to harbor freight and pick up a grinder/cutter for like $20. Done. Grinder/cutters are simple as can be. Yes, I have a nice Milwaukee M12…but for simple stuff… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe a particuate mask too. Lots of fine metal dust in the air.

Yea I learned that the hard way esp sanding wood, boy when I don't use a mask my nose is stuffed for a week or 2.

I had to stare straight ahead while the doctor literally jabbed a BLADE into my eyeball to cut out a metal fleck from a fan that embedded in me eye. Stuff of nightmares… :)

Yep, I always wear safety glasses or a shield. I had a close friend lose sight in one eye because a nail shot from a paslode deflected, ricocheted and went into his eye. That was enough to convince me to always use PPE. The worst I've done is put a trim nail from a paslode trim nailer through my index finger. That'll wake you up!

Yep, I always wear safety glasses or a shield. I had a close friend lose sight in one eye because a nail shot from a paslode deflected, ricocheted and went into his eye. That was enough to convince me to always use PPE. The worst I've done is put a trim nail from a paslode trim nailer through my index finger. That'll wake you up!

All for eye protection, but for my nasty eye story…I was just innocently lounging on a bed, and a rusty fan decided to be randomly evil. 😳

All for eye protection, but for my nasty eye story…I was just innocently lounging on a bed, and a rusty fan decided to be randomly evil. 😳
I guess I need to listen to my wife and wear goggles over my glasses or some type of face shield. I'm always getting saw dust in my eyes.

I removed the existing plastic liner and compared images of the install instructions.

Most of you must have done the install on a pre 2018 model, before Toyota added the close assist actuators. There is one on each side and they take up a bit of space.

Paging @Eric Sarjeant to see how he tackled this on his late model LC. I could remove them but really have come to enjoy the close assist.

039CA9CB-2114-4192-9D45-202A2E3C6728.jpeg

76797968-BD1D-4D07-A86E-7D6F54764F99.jpeg

If you search on 'mud, Eric has posted pictures of what his team has done on the newer ones. The short version is that they make covers for them.

If you search on 'mud, Eric has posted pictures of what his team has done on the newer ones. The short version is that they make covers for them.
This must be the cover Eric and team made circled below?

Tailgate Cover.jpeg

Mine below on 2018 LC with soft close actuator:

IMG_0530.jpeg

So appears we don't cut as much metal out on the ends as yours?

Charlie tailgate.jpeg

@TRAIL TAILOR Photo taken from install instructions:
Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 7.12.30 PM.png

It gets easier once you make the first cut. :) There's no going back at that point...

I removed the existing plastic liner and compared images of the install instructions.

Most of you must have done the install on a pre 2018 model, before Toyota added the close assist actuators. There is one on each side and they take up a bit of space.

Where is the 2nd close door assist? I only see the one on the driver side. It's attached to the tail gate hinge on the driver side, where the ratchet handle is.

Is there a 2nd one?

Last edited:
Where is the 2nd close door assist? I only see the one on the driver side. It's attached to the tail gate hinge on the driver side, where the ratchet handle is.

Is there a 2nd one?
Close assist came on 2018+.
Looks like you have 2016. You are probably looking at the damper but then again I think the damper was added in 2018 judging from repair guide. Maybe it's the torsen bar guide? Got a picture?

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 9.45.21 PM.png

One on each side with cable. (pre 2018)
Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 9.49.41 PM.png

vs

close assist 2018+

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 9.50.10 PM.png

Still not looking forward to this install.

Close assist came on 2018+.
Looks like you have 2016. You are probably looking at the damper but then again I think the damper was added in 2018 judging from repair guide. Maybe it's the torsen bar guide? Got a picture?

One on each side with cable. (pre 2018)

vs

close assist 2018+

Thanks, I was looking at the damper, and I do have a 2016. I picked up the parts to add the damper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom