Trail Tailor lockable tailgate lid (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Eric Sarjeant Nice! Ordering one shortly.

Question on this build. did you use a kit for the fogs (Baja squadron?), have to mod or were able to replace out of the box?

thx

Hi Eric- love what you guys did with the tailgate lid/storage... very clean install! I am installing the lid on my 2016 and the tailgate hatch lock cables are short, sticks out and not long enough to tuck them or re-route them. Did you extend the cables or get longer cables? Thanks-
Christian
Did you find a way to install? I have a 16 and the lid is on the way.

Did you find a way to install? I have a 16 and the lid is on the way.
Yes sir, I ended up getting some long hood latch lock cable, cut it to the proper length (enough to route the cable along the edge of the tailgate tucked away and connected a universal adjustable cable barrel clamp adjuster made for bike/motorcycle at the end of the cable. After the cable was rerouted, I added sound deadening mat and PE Foam Sound Deadener… And for the final touch, a layer of Armor All Oil Spill Mat was lined to keep things nicely padded. I will upload some photos very soon.

New Hood Latch Lock Cable For Toyota Land Cruiser Lexus LX450 4.5L L6 1991-1997 ( OE Part Number#:53630-600 ) *I purchased this on eBay and can’t find the weblink

Barrel clamp adjuster

Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener

PE Foam Sound Deadener

Armor All Oil Spill Mat

Last edited:
Yes sir, I ended up getting some long hood latch lock cable, cut it to the proper length (enough to route the cable along the edge of the tailgate tucked away and connected a universal adjustable cable barrel clamp adjuster made for bike/motorcycle at the end of the cable. After the cable was rerouted, I added sound deadening mat and PE Foam Sound Deadener… And for the final touch, a layer of Armor All Oil Spill Mat was lined to keep things nicely padded. I will upload some photos very soon.

New Hood Latch Lock Cable For Toyota Land Cruiser Lexus LX450 4.5L L6 1991-1997 ( OE Part Number#:53630-600 ) *I purchased this on eBay and can’t find the weblink

Barrel clamp adjuster

Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener

PE Foam Sound Deadener

Armor All Oil Spill Mat
Not sure if it's on my end but only the first link works. I would appreciate the pics once you upload.

One thing I noticed with my install (self installed) was that I used to get a fair amount of dust intrusion, so I'd recommend paying particular attention to closing openings in the lid before enclosing things. I just used a layer of adhesive sound deadening (dynamat like product) and a layer of carpet. Not a huge deal, since I mostly kept fishing poles in there, but if you had something where grit would be an issue (firearm action, for example) it may be worth paying attention to.

Not sure if it's on my end but only the first link works. I would appreciate the pics once you upload.

Here are some pics of my lid setup on my 16 LC200.

Jason @TRAIL TAILOR sent me a 👍 tailgate lid/ storage in black (powder coat) with all the necessary hardware for install.
IMG_2672.jpg

As I mentioned in the previous post (#24), I added an Armor All Oil Spill Mat as the final layer inside the tailgate storage. The mat hides the driverside latch release cable and provides extra padding, it's affordable and I can easily pull it out to rinse it off with a hose if needed.
IMG_2674.jpg
IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

Oh, I did lay the mat double folded for more padding and it lays, tucks & fits in nicely without any glue/ adhesives.
IMG_2677.jpg

Below the mat, I added a layer of PE Foam Sound Deadener (gray colored foam with adhesive backing),
IMG_2686.jpg

and below this Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener (foil looking thing under the gray foam) **take your time when applying these two layers as these are highly tacky and will stick immediately and will be difficult to pull back o_O
Also, the latch release cable you see here on the top of the pic is the cable from the driver side, which I believe was a bit longer so I use it on the passenger side in order to hide/ route it along the upper edge of the tailgate. Sorry if that's confusing...
IMG_2681.jpg

The cable with yellow is for the passenger side. The cable with gray is for the driverside and this cable is the longer one that I purchased (OE Part Number#:53630-600) and had to change out the end to a Barrel clamp adjuster in order to fit the latch release unit.
IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

The cable shown here is for the driver-side latch release cable (OE Part Number#:53630-600), which "I did not cut" (correcting my earlier post). So for this cable, I let it sit atop of the gray foam, only routed the cable at the corner of the tailgate to better direct the cable connection to the latch lock.
IMG_2686.jpg

And lastly, I measured, cut, and fitted the Armor All Oil Spill Mat

IMG_2687.jpg

Not too difficult of an install but does take time and tweaking to get things working and fitted. With all the crap I got inside the tailgate storage and losing the OEM assist springs that help lift the tailgate, it takes a bit of getting used to in order to open/ drop and to lift up to close but after many usages, I don't think about it plus it works out my guns 💪 -christian
IMG_2688.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, I also did install the soft-open tailgate dampener to help with the heavy tailgate+storage but didn't help much... Maybe a tiny bit of help :hmm:
Here's a posting of the dampener... soft-close tailgate

Mine is arriving next week and just trying to plan the install in advance. I already have some leftover dynamat and the Armor All oil spill mat.

To anyone that has this, does it come with installation notes? Any metal cutting involved?

It comes with black and white printed instructions and yes, there is lots of metal cutting. I used an air powered cutoff wheel.

Don't forget to have primer and paint on hand for all of your cut edges and drilled holes.

Before:
CA1DE2AC-3D67-4C9E-A908-2888F123AF7B.jpeg

Pieces cut out:

C2D7EB15-A5FB-49B5-A5BE-B607E210C1A1.jpeg

After:
099E1100-010E-4EA6-893B-9A080D9862ED.jpeg

Last edited:
It comes with black and white printed instructions and yes, there is lots of metal cutting. I used an air powered cutoff wheel.

Pieces cut out:
View attachment 2956055
View attachment 2956056
Wow! Thanks Charlie. I didn't see that part in Eric Sarjeant's video. lol. That's a lot of metal cutting.

I don't have an air powered cutoff wheel but could pick one up fairly cheap. More concerned if my Dewalt 4.5 gallon compressor that's rated 5.0 SCFM at 90 PSI is up to the task. I don't have space for a bigger air compressor. Guess I could also use my electric angle grinder w cutting wheel.

Wow! Thanks Charlie. I didn't see that part in Eric Sarjeant's video. lol. That's a lot of metal cutting.

I don't have an air powered cutoff wheel but could pick one up fairly cheap. More concerned if my Dewalt 4.5 gallon compressor that's rated 5.0 SCFM at 90 PSI is up to the task. I don't have space for a bigger air compressor. Guess I could also use my electric angle grinder w cutting wheel.
I have one sitting pending my install. Not looking forward to cutting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom