Trail advice: Casner trail / Sedona Thanksgiving weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evening all,
Im planning on taking my stock-ish 80 up casner trail this weekend and I wanted to check-in to see if anyone had some advice or words of caution before i go up.
I understand that this is a trail that is permitted may through october, although the forest service says the road is open year round. I plan on starting in Sedona and camping along FR231 (top of the world). If this trip is unfeasible after the permitted season, id be open to some alternate trails in the area.

thanks!
-P

There is a locked gate at both ends, making it impassable without a gate combination/permit. A moto could do it year round, by getting around the gate. No chance in a truck.

Look up the trails "Greasy Spoon," "Cowboy/Rattler," or "Red Rock Powerline.". They are all in the same area of Sedona, but stay below the rim.

Thanksgiving is a very popular time of year in Sedona, so it's likely to be crowded. The drive up Schnebly Road to the cowpies hiking trail is always fun. Submarine Rock and Chicken Point are the most popular places for commercial jeep tours. A short and interesting trail is Oak Creek Homestead (probably the least crowded).

wow, didn't know the gates were locked. that saved me quite a bit of frustration. thanks @Pitch and @Clunky. I'll look up your suggestions.

thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think we're going to take 89A up to the FS road network connecting to edge of the world, then spend the next day doing Oak Creek homestead, broken arrow, and then heading home via Schnebly road to I-17. I'll try to remember to throw up some pics.

happy thanksgiving everyone!

thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think we're going to take 89A up to the FS road network connecting to edge of the world, then spend the next day doing Oak Creek homestead, broken arrow, and then heading home via Schnebly road to I-17. I'll try to remember to throw up some pics.

happy thanksgiving everyone!

Ninety degrees in the valley on Thanksgiving, should be great weather up on the rim.

it was great weather today here in the Valley :meh:

Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend. the weather in Sedona was great. Here are some pics from the weekend.

camping at edge of the world with my navigator.
IMG_1535[1].JPG

by the Cabin at the end of 152
IMG_1536[1].JPG

up on submarine rock
IMG_1513[1].JPG

up on chicken point with my copilot.
IMG_1518[1].JPG

exit to I-17 via Schnebly hill road. It's pretty, but the road is annoying.

IMG_1532[1].JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom