Trade in our 4Runner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering trading in my 2018 4Runner for a new LC and was hoping to get some help with a few questions. Thanks in advance.
1) My 4runner "tramlines" (experiences small side to side movements when going down the road). I drove a friends and his does the same. I am assuming that the LC does not require steering corrections to go straight, but wanted to check if that was perhaps inherent to the LC as well.
2) Can the key fob be left in the vehicle without beeps for honks? When I am on the property, I prefer to leave the key in the car.
3) How does the driving experience differ from the 4Runner
Thanks again

Welcome aboard.

Simply go and drive one. It will be fairly clear what's what, and you'll likely be quite sold. Be ready to deal with values of the LC vs T4R.

Tram lining is a function of the road, tires, and suspension. It is typically more common on performance cars with very wide, low profile tires.

Depending on where you are it may be tough to find one at a dealer to test drive. Might need to try and find a used one just to get the time behind the wheel. But I agree, the only way to answer the driving experience questions is with personal experience.

Mine doesn’t seem to care where the fob is when it’s off. Due to 2-way communication between the fob and vehicle it might shorten your battery life in the fob.. not sure how much.

Depending on where you are it may be tough to find one at a dealer to test drive. Might need to try and find a used one just to get the time behind the wheel. But I agree, the only way to answer the driving experience questions is with personal experience.
Or try and find another Mud member in your area and see if they're willing to take you for a spin.

Edit: you can leave the key fob in the truck but can't lock the truck with it in there - I've found that leaving the key fob in the truck, or in close proximity of the truck kills the battery in the fob way faster since it's in constant communication with the truck.

Double edit: and just for fun, try and drive an older 200 series with a lot of miles on it, a 13'+ and see how that compares to your 18' 4R.

Last edited:
I traded in a 2018 4Runner TRD Pro in April for a 2019 LC, night and day difference in drivability, Feels very planted to the road with no wandering. You will notice that the steering feels heavy at slow speeds compared to the 4Runner, but got used to it.

Can’t speak to your key fob question.

Per the previous post, go drive one, you’ll be instantly hooked.

Oh man. You are in for a pleasant surprise. You are skipping right over the usual 4R upgrade to GX and going straight to LC....bravo!

I got into a '17 LC after driving a '16 Trail Edition T4R for 2 years. The T4R is a great vehicle, but the LC surpasses it in so many ways. It just feels way more solid than the T4R. On the highway, the LC doesn't get blown around as much as the T4R did. As others have said, go test drive one, and you will see the difference.

Like many I went from 2014 runner to 2015 LC. Not to be redundant but go drive one ,there's no looking back. Big and solid yet handles supremely on the road or dirt. Comfort with ALL the bells and whistles. Let us know when it's a done deal?

Went from GX460 to LC...huge difference in ride. The side-to-side motion that you speak of was bothering me a lot with the GX. LC has none of that. Much better ride.

This is great info and super helpful...thanks very much. I am in the Austin area for a while, so I think I will be able to find one on a dealer lot for a test drive. Your direct experience, including moving from a 4Runner/GX to a LC is just what I was looking for. I hope to get to the dealer later this week and will report back.

Thank You!

This is great info and super helpful...thanks very much. I am in the Austin area for a while, so I think I will be able to find one on a dealer lot for a test drive. Your direct experience, including moving from a 4Runner/GX to a LC is just what I was looking for. I hope to get to the dealer later this week and will report back.

Thank You!

Per autotrader there are quite a few in town. If you want to see how one handles with almost 150k on it PM me. It is pre-facelift though, so older interior and 6spd transmission.

I am considering trading in my 2018 4Runner for a new LC and was hoping to get some help with a few questions. Thanks in advance.
1) My 4runner "tramlines" (experiences small side to side movements when going down the road). I drove a friends and his does the same. I am assuming that the LC does not require steering corrections to go straight, but wanted to check if that was perhaps inherent to the LC as well.
2) Can the key fob be left in the vehicle without beeps for honks? When I am on the property, I prefer to leave the key in the car.
3) How does the driving experience differ from the 4Runner
Thanks again

Huge difference in driving experience. BTW: We are trading in our 2017 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium for the 2020 Heritage LC. We test drove a 2019 LC a few months ago. The difference is actually almost unbelievable. But you really need to find a fairly new one to feel it for yourself.

I know what you are talking about in the 4runner. It just isn't as planted on the road. the LC is very planted.

If you think the 4runner is bad, go drive an FJ Cruiser. (I own a 2008 FJ) They like to walk on the road. I also owned a 2010 Trail Teams FJ with smaller wheels/tires. That thing really walked.

Get some spc uca’s and have your caster set in the most forward position, that will help with tracking down the highway straight. I loved my 4th gen but love my lx even more.

Huge difference in driving experience. BTW: We are trading in our 2017 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium for the 2020 Heritage LC. We test drove a 2019 LC a few months ago. The difference is actually almost unbelievable. But you really need to find a fairly new one to feel it for yourself.

I know what you are talking about in the 4runner. It just isn't as planted on the road. the LC is very planted.

If you think the 4runner is bad, go drive an FJ Cruiser. (I own a 2008 FJ) They like to walk on the road. I also owned a 2010 Trail Teams FJ with smaller wheels/tires. That thing really walked.
What does “walk on the road” mean?

LC's tend to be very good on alignment. In my older 2009 leaving key in car drains battery quickly. I don't know what driving a 4runner feels like but I do envy my friends GX but I am a passenger. I like how nimble it can be. Driving my LC feels super solid.

The tramlines you are talking about might be wind? LC does do that on severely windy days. I think AT tires makes it less likely to sway. I plan to keep my LC for a long time so I got unlimited alignments at Pepboys and take it there whenever I feel its off. Its next door to my office. There is a lot to love on the LC. You feel like driving the best of Toyota Engineering except for multimedia stuff (I never care for that anyway). I like KDSS but some people can be critical of it. My car still drives like new with 225k miles on it (I did replace suspension with coilovers which is the reason why suspension feels great 75k miles ago).

I traded my 2017 Limited 4x4 4runner with 3rd row seating, for a 2016 Land Cruiser and was a bit worried too............ BEST decision I ever made!!!!!!! I will and can pick apart the HUGE differences between the 2 if you like, but that will be a rant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom