Traction Control *and* a Locking Rear Diff? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reffug said:
Can't we just wait until somebody buys one and wheel's it and then formulate opinions. I think Shottz and Pimp both have already proven that a rear locker and IFS are an excellent wheeling comibination. :D

The thread turned into another subject, huh REFFUG?

Hey, what's you-alls favorite beer? :D

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout :D

Samuel Smith Imperial Stout :D

Think the whole thing here is that the actual off-road functionality of TRAC is new to anyone who doesn't frequent the 100 series board, so you've got a whole new class of students to convert!

If anyone is not convinced or is a doubter of the combination all they need to do :idea: is an advanced search with Shottz as the user and there are pictures, more than enough that prove the point. Also with a shorter wheelbase this vehicle with that combination should prove more than competent. :cheers:

reffug said:
If anyone is not convinced or is a doubter of the combination all they need to do :idea: is an advanced search with Shottz as the user and there are pictures, more than enough that prove the point. Also with a shorter wheelbase this vehicle with that combination should prove more than competent. :cheers:

I'm praying one of 2 things happens:

1. The FJ sucks
2. I don't like it

I can't afford it right now. Gotta pay off the Taco. :D

Aseif007 said:
Personally I enjoy the lockers. I haven't driven with the traction control so I cannot directly comment. I thought the point of whelling/obsticles was that the driver actually controlled the car?? Isn't that most of the fun??

Ahhh, ya. So having TRAC means one doesn't have to pick the right line, use the right amount of gas, learn how to drive off road? Of course they do. :)

So now it is a question of the car's ability, not the driver ability/input. That is all good for the mall cruisers, but I actually would like to feel like I accomplished something, not my computer accomplished something. I'm sure the traction control works great and will get you through everything.

TRAC is NO different than ANY other traction device in that it aids traction. If that's your outlook then I'm sure you'll never want to use lockers either? What fun would that be? Using a device or electronics to help drive you through. :confused:

I'm sure I will one day accept the traction control, but I think I will consider myself old at that point...

Maybe. I'm really old myself and it shows because I drive a TRAC-controled 100 series mall cruiser that's no fun to drive. :)

I still love Toyota's though, mostly before 1998. But the mall cruisers are nice too. There I said it, I like the 100s too.

Yes, you must be younger. You only call the 98 and up mall cruisers? You don't remember when everybody called the 80's mall cruisers? In fact, everything from the 55-up is a mall cruiser. You want a non-mall cruiser? Then go by a Jeep Wrangler. :)

:idea:

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Backwards Mark (on the H2) :)
Hmm...I was talking about a H1 though, not a H2. The H1's I saw (5+ in a group) several years ago, they had major issues, they could not spin their tires. Their leader who was conducting the trail run (all but 1 or 2 of these drivers had NEVER even taken any vehicle offroad before, and had just bought a H1) was coaching them, what to do, when to turn, normal stuff. He didn't want to use the winch, so he made them all get through this section with no winch (a good move I'd say to teach them something, but when there were 20+ vehicle waiting, not such a good move). It was crazy, there was black smoke pouring out the exhaust, they were floored, and each tire would move a bit, then stop from the traction control kicking in (atleast that's what the leader, who seemed to know his stuff, said was happening).

It was rather funny and a bit humbling for those drivers, after they spent 45 minutes+ to get everyone through a Toy truck with 33's, rear locker and maybe a 3" lift just walked through it, made it look cake, which it was, but the Hummer dudes had totally the wrong vehicle to have on that trail, but who knows, maybe they learned something that day that you aren't always king of the hill in all situations...and maybe they got rid of their H1 and now own Cruisers.. :D

mabrodis said:
Hmm...I was talking about a H1 though, not a H2. The H1's I saw (5+ in a group) several years ago, they had major issues, they could not spin their tires. Their leader who was conducting the trail run (all but 1 or 2 of these drivers had NEVER even taken any vehicle offroad before, and had just bought a H1) was coaching them, what to do, when to turn, normal stuff. He didn't want to use the winch, so he made them all get through this section with no winch (a good move I'd say to teach them something, but when there were 20+ vehicle waiting, not such a good move). It was crazy, there was black smoke pouring out the exhaust, they were floored, and each tire would move a bit, then stop from the traction control kicking in (atleast that's what the leader, who seemed to know his stuff, said was happening).

It was rather funny and a bit humbling for those drivers, after they spent 45 minutes+ to get everyone through a Toy truck with 33's, rear locker and maybe a 3" lift just walked through it, made it look cake, which it was, but the Hummer dudes had totally the wrong vehicle to have on that trail, but who knows, maybe they learned something that day that you aren't always king of the hill in all situations...and maybe they got rid of their H1 and now own Cruisers.. :D

Oh, yes sir. Got that wrong. Was thinking of H2's. Sorry. :beer:

Yes, the H1's with traction control experienced mixed results depending on road surface. The way they can active/deactivate it is by pumping the brake pedal (so these guys tell me). Hummer has again been adding lockers as options as the non-locked models really struggled as you've seen.

H1's have never had a computerized traction control..

They either have limited slips or lockers..

There was a bunch of other things happening in that group..

"pumping" the brake does not turn the traction control on and off. It places a "load" on the wheel and transfers power to the wheel with more traction.

It is a very common practice with limited slips..

Last edited:
Mace said:
H1's have never had a computerized traction control..

They either have limited slips or lockers..

There was a bunch of other things happening in that group..

"pumping" the brake does not turn the traction control on and off. It places a "load" on the wheel and transfers power to the wheel with more traction.

It is a very common practice with limited slips..

That's what I thought too. I know the braking trick. I remember the manager of Sedona Hummer Tours telling me their rigs didn't have lockers though they were traction controlled and they move the power around by pumping the pedal. :confused:

This discussion got me thinking:
Can you imagine what it would've been like if there had been LC message boards in '88 when they introduced fuel injection? It'll never work off road, the electronics will never hold up to the vibration, you'll need a new ECU every year, it'll leave you stranded all the time, yada, yada, yada :)

firetruck41 said:
Can you imagine what it would've been like if there had been LC message boards in '88 when they introduced fuel injection? It'll never work off road, the electronics will never hold up to the vibration, you'll need a new ECU every year, it'll leave you stranded all the time, yada, yada, yada :)
Hey, stop making sense :flipoff2:

Aseif007 said:
But no, the 80 isn't a mall cruiser.

:D :D Oh my.

You still have to pick the right line, use the right amount of gas, learn how to drive off road, but you have to admit (and I cannot attest to this) that you have little control over what the car is doing with the traction control, right? So a person that can get through that same obsticle without the added help of the traction contolr has less ability??

Little control? It's the same. You spin with TRAC and it takes over and moves you forward. You spin without TRAC, then you lock up and you move forward. Who cares what the traction device is? The experience is exactly the same.

The FJ-55,60,70,80 have way more in common with a 40 than the 100 (THAT IS A FACT).

Really, they're 100 (bad number :D ) times the 40's size. Thay're friggin wagons. :)

So it is logical that I call the 100s (the first US cruiser to have IFS) mall cruisers. I am stubborn when it comes to the traction control and maybe reading all the positive traction control posts may change my mind. But until then......

Ohh, :D :D hee, hee, LMAO....oh my...... :D :D :D IFS = Mall Cruiser? Oh my god that's funny. Last time I was in my buddy's 97 40th (that's almost as nice as the 100) I sure thought we were on our way to Starbucks. Oh my.... IFS = Mall Cruiser :D :D :D

Come on Shotts, you have to admit the Rubicon would eat up your 100 series, and maybe my 80 series (with me driving) off road. I hate to admit it but it just may be true.

Come on? Why "come on Shotts"? Have you ever heard me say my 100 would eat a Rubi? I'm not that foolish, though I question your 80 comment in that sentence.

Let's be objective. A Jeep Rubicon will eat our Cruisers off-road on a daily basis and in most every situation. It's a whole other vehicle type than a Toyota Mall Cruiser Wagon (any series wagon). We're HUGE, we are LWB, we've WIDE, we have less APP and DEP angles, we're TOAST. Admit it! You admit it. Your 80 doesn't stand a chance against a Jeep (or a 40). Admit it! :)

:D :D

firetruck41 said:

RIGHT ON!

ShottsUZJ100 said:
I'm praying one of 2 things happens:

1. The FJ sucks
2. I don't like it

I can't afford it right now. Gotta pay off the Taco. :D

This combination mean
1. raging ass truck
2. ability to travel places even 80's won't go

:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back