Toyota Reman Starter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I honestly don't trust "Toyota Reman." I've noticed they sell reman parts for considerably less than I could buy the Toyota parts to rebuild them myself, which means they are using a third party to "rebuild" parts with who knows what.

Rockauto has Denso Rebuilt Starters for $135, which includes All-new bearings, brushes, and seals. I went that way when I replaced mine last year.

If you're buying a Toyota part, you're getting Toyota quality, regardless of who builds the part. I agree you can buy genuine Toyota rebuild parts kits and perform the rebuild yourself for less than the cost of a rebuilt assembly from a dealership, but not everyone can do that. You can buy the same parts form Toyota's suppliers that they do, but you won't get the guarnatee of the same quality. Not every part produced meets Toyota's quality standards, although they all be be acceptable to some degree.

If you're in the position of buying parts vs. repairing them yourself, you can't get better parts than Toyota sells.

If you're buying a Toyota part, you're getting Toyota quality, regardless of who builds the part. I agree you can buy genuine Toyota rebuild parts kits and perform the rebuild yourself for less than the cost of a rebuilt assembly from a dealership, but not everyone can do that. You can buy the same parts form Toyota's suppliers that they do, but you won't get the guarnatee of the same quality. Not every part produced meets Toyota's quality standards, although they all be be acceptable to some degree.

If you're in the position of buying parts vs. repairing them yourself, you can't get better parts than Toyota sells.
If you look at the quality folks here have reported for Toyota rebuilt CV axles and steering racks I think you’d change your tune.

If you read my post again, Toyota is selling “rebuilt” parts for considerably less money than you could buy the genuine Toyota parts necessary to do a proper rebuild. The rebuilders are reusing worn tulips and unknown boots kits and calling cvs rebuilt.

Toyota is selling “rebuilt” parts for considerably less money than you could buy the genuine Toyota parts necessary to do a proper rebuild.

Not sure what pricing you're seeing, but the contacts and plunger for the 100 starter are like $50, the reman starter is about $130.

I'm running a reman starter and alternator, several years, no issues at all.

for all the trouble of changing the starter on a 2UZ, myself I would go with a new starter.
what is the price difference between reman and new?

With the trouble involved with replacing a starter I would definitely consider a new toyota one. Of course, having said that I'm running a reman toyota steering rack. I couldn't justify the price difference between a new one and a remanned one. Starters are considerably less money though. Been running the remanned rack for a little over two years now with no issues though.

Paying $1200 at Lexus to have starter replaced now. Didn't start Tuesday.

I picked one up at my local Lexus, it was actually cheaper than Toyota was quoting. Install was not as bad as I expected, just take your time and use the opportunity to do other PM. They quote 4 hours for this job. I spent at least that just cleaning things up. Just know that if you have a dealer do this job you are going to get the bare minimum. They are on a 4 hour clock, and that is just enough time to tear it apart and bang it back together. Unless you just don't care or plan on selling, I would be cautious.
IMG-3673.JPG

for all the trouble of changing the starter on a 2UZ, myself I would go with a new starter.
what is the price difference between reman and new?
You can no longer buy a “new” Toyota starter in the US anymore- they are all remans. Toyota parts ending in “-84” indicate reman. You can still buy a new Toyota starter via import from UAE or Japan- for about $650 shipped. Cost prohibitive.

FWIW Toyota reman starters are rebuilt differently than Denso reman starters- Toyota's reman starter is spec'd to a higher standard than Denso's. Where Denso has several rebuilders , they have discretion to choose which parts are replaced- Toyota's standard is that a specific set of components are replaced each and every time.

28100-50101-84 Toyota $132 at McGeorge
280-0320 Denso Rock Auto $101 + $34 core charge= $135

Id choose the Toyota part

You can no longer buy a “new” Toyota starter in the US anymore- they are all remans. Toyota parts ending in “-84” indicate reman. You can still buy a new Toyota starter via import from UAE or Japan- for about $650 shipped. Cost prohibitive.

FWIW Toyota reman starters are rebuilt differently than Denso reman starters- Toyota's reman starter is spec'd to a higher standard than Denso's. Where Denso has several rebuilders , they have discretion to choose which parts are replaced- Toyota's standard is that a specific set of components are replaced each and every time.

28100-50101-84 Toyota $132 at McGeorge
280-0320 Denso Rock Auto $101 + $34 core charge= $135

Id choose the Toyota part
According to Denso:
Features & Benefits:

• High-voltage tested armature and field coils to ensure reliable performance
  • Premium copper terminals to ensure a clean source of electrical current
  • All-new bearings, brushes, and seals

After owning my 07 LX for nearly two years now I have learned one thing:

Use Toyota parts.

Just because Aisin or Denso or <insert brand here> made the part for Toyota, does not mean the aftermarket version is equivalent. Just look at how many Denso radiators fail right after install or within 1-2 years.

I would much rather get a -84 rebuilt Toyota part vs any aftermarket piece, especially if that aftermarket piece is already advertised as "rebuilt". I will be putting in a reman Toyota starter as well as going through my SAIS system with Toyota parts while I have the intake off in the next year or two.

Clearly there can be exceptions to this rule, but in most cases for the same price or not much more you can just put a Toyota part in and not think about it for another 200k miles.

several years on reman started & alt as well. no issues.

D&B Electric new.. I used one of their new starters on my daughter’s G6 and was rather impressed with the results,not to mention the price.$75 vs $200 for a rebuilt locally…Considering buying these for spares.

7118312A-9B97-44CA-A086-3148A93A05D0.jpeg

If the starter was hung under the header or by bell housing with easy access, installing disposable whatever brand prob makes sense. Because the starter is a colossal PITA to get to under the intake-at the firewall, installing the most durable- reliable component makes the most sense (to me).

Since new OEM isn’t available domestically and not reasonable by import- (unless you don’t mind paying 5x more), There’s little price difference between OES reman and OEM reman- the reman OEM is choice #1 (for me).

Can anyone reference what exactly Toyota replaces in their remans? Denso comes right out and tells you, but I’ve searched the web and can’t find anything from Toyota.

Can anyone reference what exactly Toyota replaces in their remans? Denso comes right out and tells you, but I’ve searched the web and can’t find anything from Toyota.

This is proprietary information and Toyota will not tell you.

They provide the fact that they are remanufactured to factory OEM specifications.

Denso only specifies that they replace certain items, they don't say what they replace it with (supplier) or that it's OE quality. Toyota replaces with Toyota parts. Also, from your same Denso site:

1684615552913.png

They specify for many things that they only inspect, clean, and test a majority of the internals.

Last edited:

Denso only specifies that they replace certain items, they don't say what they replace it with (supplier) or that it's OE quality. Toyota replaces with Toyota parts. Also, from your same Denso site:

View attachment 3327842

They specify for many things that they only inspect, clean, and test a majority of the internals.

Thanks for the video. I became very skeptical of Toyota reman when they started remanning CV axles and reusing clearly worn out outer shaft/splines. The cost of a new outer shafts was twice what they were charging for the whole reman axle. Made me equally distrustful of their reman steering racks and everything else.

I can think of one post of someone pointing out worn splines on a reman CV, could be a manufacturing anomaly, could be shipping damage, could be sloppy quality control on Toyota's end. I just don't think it makes Toyota reman parts worthy of a unilateral ban. Denso's okay stuff too, plenty of peeps here have used parts and had no issues either. End of the day, it's your dollar to spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom