Toyota factory winch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have an operating manual for the factory Toyota winch on file? Also what is the arm on the left side of the winch for?(looking from front) I'm assuming freewheel?!

I don't have the manual, but I can confirm the arm on the left when facing the front of the truck is for the freewheel function.

Is there any trick to get it to function?:) it moves slightly back and fourth, definitely doesn't disengage the winch tough!

Push down, then turn.

Absolutely useless winch, you should remove it now....right now....and then post it to me! ;) I have been hunting for bloody ages for an OE winch with no luck! :(

regards

Dave

@1993FJZ80 can you post pics on how the aisin winch is wired to the battery? @asutherland @girraffe can you guys please help on this ? I'm hoping with your input -something like this can be made as the part may not be available anymore . The solenoid (aka magnetic switch 1) can be sourced but I don't know how it's wired and how it attaches to the winch / truck

Last edited:
image.jpg
Shows winch but not wiring

There is wiring that goes from the winch to the battery with a solenoid in the middle. The solenoid tucks in the middle and is operated by a plug n play connector on the inner fender that senses the ignition is on. I'll try and check for a part number when I get a chance.

I don't need to push the lever to engage disengage my winch .. it's not too easy tho .. .

About the wiring nothing really special other than fancy plug for the awesome winch control with temp warning and the fact that it need extra 12V to be activated..

Thanks @Tapage but can you post some visuals to help understand and see how it's wired? I know the solenoid is under battery and hard to reach, so how about a photo of that wire as it attaches to the winch. I think you may be able to see it by peeking between front bumper and winch

I did not use the factory solenoid .. ( didn't have it ) so I wired through simple relay bosh and switch .. that 12V it's just for safety, it's like a ON switch for the winch ..

I have this winch on my GCC spec 100 series.. I cant seem to find the fill and drain plugs for replacing the oil. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Why didn't I think of that?[emoji15] thanks!
Don't feel bad, I couldn't figure it out either. Mine was stiff from lack of use and needed a lot of force to "push-in & turn".
I wish I had the original attachment that screwed on to it, mine was lost years ago. Anyone know what it looked like?

Don't feel bad, I couldn't figure it out either. Mine was stiff from lack of use and needed a lot of force to "push-in & turn".
I wish I had the original attachment that screwed on to it, mine was lost years ago. Anyone know what it looked like?

It was a straight rod with a threaded hole on the bottom, and a plastic knob on the top. Mine is missing as well, but my last truck had it. I'd love to find another one, but I'm not sure if it would interfere with my aux lights, there's not a lot of room there. I found a few pics with it in place.

IMG-20110621-00084.jpg
IMG-20110621-00082.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I don't imagine that I will ever come across an original, but now I know what it looks like, should I ever come across one.
In the mean time, I will fabricate one of my own.
:)

Thanks for the pics. I don't imagine that I will ever come across an original, but now I know what it looks like, should I ever come across one.
In the mean time, I will fabricate one of my own.
:)

You should make me one too!

Oops, I am definitely late to the party here. The winch power is switched using a high amperage solenoid, which I replaced with one from a local auto shop because it was fried. It's about the size of a coke can, located directly under the left side battery tray. The trigger wire has two conditions, that the ignition is on, and that the oem controller is plugged in. Since I didn't have the oem controller and didn't want to spend 1200$ on one, I rewired a warn controller, and the trigger wire for having the controller plugged in I reused by connecting it to a manual switxh on my dash, so I can control main power to the winch. I also hooked it up to the vsv valve thing that controls the idle up for ac, so when my winch is powered on my truck idles up slightly :)

Here is the one manual for the winch. Dropbox - fj_hdj_hzj-80_series_winch.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom