Toyo Open country 255/85/16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys ,
I recently finished my Yokohama G012 set , they performed flawless for 75000 km ,very happy .
for my new set of tires I am thinking to run on Toyo 255/85/16 open country MT.
I drive a heavy Toyota 78 , aprox 3000 kg when fully loaded , almost always .
the main use will be overlanding in west Africa , 50% paved road , 50 % sand , rocks gravel ecc .
I need a good, strong side wall ,resistance to punctures , and good mileage out of the tire .
How does it perform on wet asphalt ?
mud ?
pls remember that I will have a heavy car .
No chance to find a spare tire of that size .

previously for overlanding I was using BFG MUD old design in the same size , and was quite happy .

Any comment will be appreciated .

bye Renago

Had them in 265/75R16 for a while on my ex-BJ70 and have them in 255/85R16 on my 60. E rated tire. My 60 is moderatly load with Autohome RTT and overland gear. Have a winch, bull bar, rock slider. Sometime, I pull a M101.

Predictable tire on almost all surface (... do not know on snow and ice). Very strong and stiff side wall.

My previouos tire was KM2 in the same size. I better like the Toyo from almost all perspective... still the KM2 had more grip for the rock

This guy, post #1, give a very good review which I agreed with. Other people have wrote good thing there too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review .
Funny , I just decided to order them yesterday !
Not in stock , but will arrive some time in April .
Will need them for this summer .

Bye Renago

I run this exact tire in this size on my HZJ77. Really enjoy them and I find them as civilized on the pavement as a mud tire can be. On wet pavement they are less than ideal but on sharp rocks they've done well. Only cut one tire once and had to replace. It held air for the drive down.

Very few options left for 255/85R16, mostly MT and Toyo MT is one of the best, so I think you chose well! Let us know when you get them onto your vehicle.

Thanks Gkanai,
I will test the Tokyo mud this summer in Africa right during the rainy season .
Will let you know how they perform.

Bye Renago

I confirm, 255x85x16 are excellents, i had them on my HJ61 and now on the 100, very good grip, and for MT tyres, you can use thhem with a very low preasure, and not too much noise on the road

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom