1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toughts about incresaing TLCA membership

Discussion in 'TLCA- Discussion Forum' started by orangefj45, Aug 28, 2006.

1. orangefj45

orangefj45 Supporting Vendor

i know that right now this is being discussed on a couple of other threads but i thought it might help.

here's my idea:
    one sure fire way to get more members would be to concentrate on events where cruisers/toyota 4x4s will be well represented. something like non tlca sanctioned trail rides, swap meets, show and shines,.......

what brought this to my attention is the fact that i have put together the "fj45 run" for the last 5 years and i think it's pretty well known at this point having been in the mags a couple of times and on most of the internet forums. strangely enough, nobody from the TLCA has ever contacted me to say "hey georg, how about handing out a few copies of the latest TT in order to help recruit a few more TLCA members?".
    i know what you're thinking. why don't i contact the TLCA and get the ball rolling myself. well, i probably could but just like everybody else, i lead a pretty busy life and organizing the 45 run has turned into quite the undertaking especially since it's one of the few free events out there. i'm not trying to toot my own horn here. i just don't want anybody to think that i'm too good to start the process.
    besides, the point i'm trying to make here is that the TLCA should actively try to contact event organizers to increase membership. i'll be more than happy to send an email to help out with my run and it's participants. we have raffled off TLCA memberships in the past in order to help out.

any thoughts?

2. Kaderabek

Kaderabek

I agree.

Is that the MSVP's job?

TJK

3. orangefj45

hahaha, now look what i've started. the TLCA board is ganging up on me!:D

jk!
    georg

4. Kaderabek

Kaderabek

You should consider it.

TJK

5. orangefj45

i'll take that as a big compliment!

maybe i should consider keeping my opinion to myself a little more often?!:censor:

6. Kaderabek

Kaderabek

Where would be the fun in that...?

TJK

7. orangefj45

well then i guess i'm glad to provide some entertainment for you with my replies and rants!:D

8. 65swb45

65swb45 Supporting Vendor

Georg, Excellent point! I just happen to have a box of TT at the shop I can toss in the 45 and bring up to the run!:bounce:

If it's allright with you, I'd like to present them the same way I do at the shop: $6 for the back issue or FREE if you sign up right now {I have copies of the member app] AND I'll pay the postage to mail them in!:grinpimp:

Best

Mark A.

P.S. If you comment and I don't respond online, it's safe to say the puter went down again:mad: ; you can always follow up with a phone call. My number is listed!;p

9. orangefj45

sounds cool to me. although maybe we should have alan or todd coment on this?!

10. Kaderabek

Kaderabek

Does the $6 go to TLCA and is that apparent to the consumer?

Appreciate the efforts, guys. Membership is finally moving in the right direction.

TJK

11. ginericLC

ginericLC Wagon Wheeler! SILVER Star

I don't know if it is an MSVP thing or not? Usually an event stuff goes to the EVP, been there done that too. I'll see what I can do though. Georg shoot me an address and I'll send you a little care package for your event from Idaho, I know I have 20 of the Sept/October issue and I probably have some other misc. issues in my tool box in the Cruiser. I pass them out on the road all the time. I have some other cool stuff that I'll include too. And I suppose while I'm thinking about it I better shoot Jim an email about Pismo too.

I've been bogged down staring at the database trying to make sense of the revolving door we have seemed to have. I actually thing that we are sort starting to stabilize. The IRs have been kicking butt helping with renewals. They are the true saints of the organization right now.

12. orangefj45

hey eric.
    thanks for the reply. it might be a little too late to get the stuff to me but it's definetly worth a shot and i'll be more than happy to do what i can to help the TLCA.
    i'll pm you all my info.
    georg

13. Cruiser Clint

Cruiser Clint

Media:
    Albums:
    Hoosier Cruisers hasn't been as diligent as we should have been about ensuring that our members are part of TLCA which our bylaws require. When we discussed this to try to find out why, the general consensus is that most of us forgot or were too lazy to send in the renewal. With the advancements of the website, online is a much better option now that it is secure. The club officers found it difficult to remember to look when members were due and that made it an easy task to put off.

We decided as a club that regardless of when a member joined, each year at the January meeting all members will renew or join on the spot to help us ensure compliance. This doesn't solve anything for members who didn't attend that meeting, but it is an annual reminder to all of us of our commitment to TLCA. The event was held in my garage this year and of course my wireless internet was on the fritz, but we did have commitments from all members. Note to self: (I should probably follow up to make sure we all did what we intended to do.)

This may not work for all clubs, but we recognized our shortcomings and we thought this would help.

Clint

14. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    If you really wanted to up membership, I dont know what it would take. But having a Biz card, flyer for TLCA in FJs that roll off the lot. I know a lot of new FJ drives that would not mnd joining, face it most of them have never heard of it. But then now feel they are part of it because of the FJ.....If membership is the goal I think the FJ is the target.

15. 2ndGenToyotaFan

2ndGenToyotaFan Ice-Bound Moderator

I second the FJ being a huge target for possible new members. If only we were all like C-Dan and worked at a dealership......

16. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    Even though I dont work for TLCA I do believe the passage ways are there. I mean we are mentioned in the Ad book thing they have thrown togetherfor the FJ...I mean what else do the dealership worker monkeys have to do besides re-arrange all the FJs each week and wash them. (I drive by a dealership each day)They can throw in some TLCA membership promos for us.

Say if it costs you 25 bucks a dealership to put 100 or so decent looking flyers or fold outs in the FJs that are sold there. And if just one joins you have broken even (its 25 a year right?I can remember its been a few months) True it would cost a bit to do this but you cant make money with out spending it. Most managers trying to sell a product know that the more kind of crap you can throw in with a deal such as buying an FJ the better. Most miht even be happy to have in there FJ as another selling point.

Think of it. Most cruiserheads out there that owns a 40,60,80 all now about TLCA and either are members or would like to be but just dont have the cash at the right moment or are just lazy. Now the FJ on the other hand is brand new and bring in a brand new generation......the time to strike is now. I would even be willing to help come up for some graphics for it since I am a graphic designer. No skin off my teeth it would just take away from surfing mud at work for a few weeks...

17. Chef

Chef

Commments from the Prez, if you can follow my cut and pastes:
    I agree.
    Is that the MSVP's job?
    TJK

HMMMM...!!!!

Getting stuff to non-tlca toyota events: this was actully in our board meeting this week. look for change to come.

Lowride: Yep, we're "making inroads with Toyota: witness the FJ Trail Team! But also realise that the doors at Toyota are only open a teeny little bit, and where they want them to be. Tough row to hoe. We're working on it, and have been for several years.

Getting stuff to dealers: Biiig *expensive* project, and very ahrd to execute. Our chapters, and members, who have established relationships with thier locla dealers are much more able to execute this than someone no one at the dealerships knows cold calling. This is being done in some places, and I encourage you to take your personal relationship with the dealer to this level if you can. Let us know if we can help. I've been leaving Toyota Trails and membership forms at my parts counter for years, with very little result other than the Trails "disappear." Doesn't mean it can't work better elsewhere...

Georg: I hope yer event is great fun this weekend, and I really wish I was there...

18. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
    I couldn't care less about the AARP, what their goals are, etc. But when I get their junk in the mail next year, I will likely become a member. Ya know why? Because there is real value in it.

I will be eligible for all sorts of discounts and special deals as an AARP member. They get my dues and my "body count", I get the discounts, which will be worth many times the annual membership cost.

If we really wanted to increase body count, we could try follow the AARP lead.

Didn't quite a few of the associate members offer discounts at one time? Maybe they still do and I just have not kept up...

19. 65swb45

65swb45 Supporting Vendor

Well duh! Ask Jenn if she's been getting my checks. Signed up three more members at the 45 run! $75 check went in on Tuesday.

:cheers:

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">