Torsion bar trouble - could use some help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am currently travelling Argentina in a LC100 (HDJ100: European model 2004 with 4.2 ltr 1HD-FTE diesel engine).

The Automatic Ride Height stuff was removed and the height is set higher than usual to get more clearance. It's quite heavy: I guess we're getting close to 4000 kgs. TJM bumper with WARN 12000 which, roofrack with tent, 60 ltr water tank behind the seats, and all the rest of the stuff in the rear.

On a gravel road, I hit a few holes (sun behind me). I heard something snap or break and the left front wheel bottomed out. The LH wheel is now touching the bumpstop at every hole, bump etc.

As it turns out, the torsion bar has failed. What has failed, I do not know a this time - the local mechanic told me to see a Toyota dealer (250 km from here).

Is this a known problem? Is there a solution to this problem that gets me going again? Would this be a good time to install some aftermarket torsion bars? Does anyone here know how to get these in Argentina?

Any help greatly appreciated.

You were/are running the original torsion bars from the AHC, correct?

They aren't meant to handle a lot of extra weight, but I haven't heard of them snapping, at least not often enough that it's mentioned much. It should be easy to see what's broken on them though. Most of the bar is exposed and you can see a lot of the adjustment bar near the middle of the truck.

Now would be an excellent time to upgrade even to stock torsion bars from a non-AHC vehicle. They'll be better at handling weight and might be more accessible to you while traveling.

I would guess ARB has the best aftermarket availability in the world. Using this site (Find Your Nearest ARB Store or Stockist - ARB 4x4 Accessories) I was able to find two distributors in Argentina, both in Buenos Aires. Whether or not they have stock is the question if you want to get back on the road quickly. Toyota may be your best bet, in which case get torsion bars from the non-AHC Land Cruiser once you've confirmed that was the failure.

Last edited:
Most likely the t bar, however the area where the T bar bolts on to the lower control arm can crack also. A t bar breaking should have made a loud noise.

Thanks for the quick replies! Armed with your info and a picture from the shop manual, I investigated further.

20190124_094610a.jpg

It seems that the lower suspension arm has cracked: the innermost bolt of the torque arm is free - broken away from the suspension arm. The torsion bar rests against the rubber bushing of the stabilizer bar. (The picture below is a close up of the torque arm from underneath.)

20190124_091901a.jpg

I may be in more trouble than I hoped... Is this a known or common failure? Would removal and welding do something for me?

Thanks for the quick replies! Armed with your info and a picture from the shop manual, I investigated further.

View attachment 1887551

It seems that the lower suspension arm has cracked: the innermost bolt of the torque arm is free - broken away from the suspension arm. The torsion bar rests against the rubber bushing of the stabilizer bar. (The picture below is a close up of the torque arm from underneath.)

View attachment 1887549

I may be in more trouble than I hoped... Is this a known or common failure? Would removal and welding do something for me?
This is a known area that can fail. Possible fixes range from replacing the lower control arm to repairing the existing one. Your access to parts and skills may dictate the approach you end up taking. Good luck!

Is this a known or common failure?

It seems to be a known or common enough problem, that some vendors sell a reinforcement kit:

https://www.sahara4x4.com/b2c/producto/fk27/2/reinforcement-kit-for-torsion-bars-ome

ironman-4x4-100-series-landcruiser-lx470-torsion-bar-reinforcement-brackets

but seems to be a relatively rare occurance in the US market 100s.

(I don't know if that's due to the lack of Diesel 100s in the US, the load/weight being carried, or the terrain)

^^^ Yes, known problem on TD LC100's... extremely rare on Petrol 100's. New arms and reinforcement kit seems to be the standard fix.

If I was running that heavy in an overland vehicle, I might consider running Timbren or Wheeler's Off-road bumpstops to buffer things out.

I added the reinforcement plates as prevention when doing a tbar upgrade.

Thank you for your 'good luck' wishes - they worked! Because everyone here told me that getting a lower control arm here in Argentina would be a mission impossible, I asked around for a good mechanic, with contacts for a skilled welder.

We disassembled the control arm in about two hours time after which the welder heated the spot with the crack, bent it back and welded the broken pieces together. He then crafted a reinforcement plate to cover the crack. The reinforcement plate was welded to the control arm and we began re-assembly at 20:00. Two and a half hours later, I was driving again.

It's amazing what some people can repair once there are no parts to just swap out (like us Westerners tend to do). Total cost US $ 200.

Last edited:
Sorry - I'm on slow internet and pressed 'save changes' one too many times.

Thank you for your 'good luck' wishes - they worked! Because everyone here told me that getting a lower control arm here in Argentina would be a mission impossible, I asked around for a good mechanic, with contacts for a skilled welder.

We disassembled the control arm in about two hours time after which the welder heated the spot with the crack, bent it back and welded the broken pieces together. He then crafted a reinforcement plate to cover the crack. The reinforcement plate was welded to the control arm and we began re-assembly at 20:00. Two and a half hours later, I was driving again.

It's amazing what some people can repair once there are no parts to just swap out (like us Westerners tend to do). Total cost US $ 150.
Good deal, glad your back on the road.

Awesome! Sounded like a scary ordeal, but never underestimate a decent welder!. Hopefully she holds for the duration.

Toyota still sells the lower control arm, with the bushing installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom