Tornado Alley Cruisers Introductions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Greetings

My name is Randy Braley...and as a follow up to a previous comment about "don't follow Chris". If he says it will be a "no locker Sunday" don't believe him.

All right, enough about Chris. I have been a member of the club for a few years now. I wheeled my 00' 4Runner but have recently taken it back to stock after purchasing a $400 POS 85 4Runner. The plans are to make it my trail rig. I have no idea what I'm doing so it should be alot of fun.

I live in Shawnee, KS with my lovely wife of 15 years (high school sweatheart) and our 4-1/2 year old son, who we adopeted from Russia in 2004. We are currently in the process of adopting again.

My first love is rock climbing. My next love is anything that takes me into the woods...backpacking, wheelin', camping, etc.

Hopefully the 85 willbe ready to roll for the Spring outing.

Randy Braley
aka Ranski

Last edited:
I guess I can do this too. I'm probably the most northern member. Actually I'm not much of a member as I don't attend any meetings or local runs. But I've paid dues for 3 years and already for 06. Paypal is a great invention. I'm a school teacher in Idaho.

My real name is Eric V. and my wife's name is Ginger hence the GINERIC. We also have a 2.75 year old son Gabe. He's got quite the wheeling time under his belt for his age: he's been to Moab 3 times, Colorado high passes once, and this year we are hoping for a trip to the Rubithon and Moab.

Currently we have 1.75 94 80 series and a .25 78 rust free tub and frame. The running 80 is white so it is pretty generic in the 80 world. Soon to have factory lockers retrofitted from our 94 parts rig.

I've owned quite a few LC's. I actually learned to drive my dad's 78 55 when I was 11 or so. My personal collection (which is no longer a collection I guess) has included a 69 55, a 74 40, 2: 76 40s, a 78 40, a 83 BJ60, a 85 V8j60(silver one at other Moabs), a 91 FJ80 (the silver one at Moab 05), a 93 FZJ80, and my current 1.75 94 FZJ80s. I suppose you could toss my 87 4wd mini into the mix if you really wanted to.

I met Chef, Erik C. (note his is with a K), and some other folks that would eventually become TAC at CM 2000. Then I met Sherpa, Chris R., Troy R., Jill, etc... at CM 02, and at 05 I met Gary. Not sure when I met Bob. Ginger and I both enjoy TAC as it is more than just about the Cruisers, it is about friends. I think I actually technically met most of them on the LCML prior to my real life meeting. I still monitor the LCML and have been doing so since 1997.

In the past I was involved more with the TLCA. With a 2 year old, Cruisers, my masters, and work I've sort of become sort of busy with just regular life. Some day I hope to return to providing some service for this great organization.

As much as I detest the midwest weather, I wish I lived closer to all of you.

ok fair enough, Justin

young but not the youngest, reasonably happy bachloer, with a very bad habit ( addiction to fj40s, well i might also own a number of other vehicles as well )

owned my first and still current fj40 in early 98 ( had to go look at the title :) , and purchased a few more since then, I have 6 fj40s currently, and parted out a few more. everything is for sale in one way or another, most are 75 later.

edit "including trucks" cruisers only listed,

73 fj40 white
75 fj40 mustard
75 fj40 dune
76 fj40 black/od at least till tomorrow,
76 fj40 blue
79 fj40 mustard

parts to put a few more back together. 79, 81, 71, etc...

I also gone through way more then my fair share of toy mini trucks, and chevy trucks.

I build rigs for fun, no time/room to currently build one for myself so i wheel with buddies rigs i built or take their rig. rough guess building my rig will be approx 2 yr event, at least.

always seem to miss the events by a weekend or two (at tuttle), but will have to catch up with the group soon. WILL have to motivate more of the landcruiser owners up here to do the same.

LOL enough honda talk. try tercel, corrolla, etc....

have a nack for finding more fj40s, found a new one just today, but it wasnt for sale ( just yet )

Last edited:
Okay, my turn,
I'm Karl, I'm brand new to all of this. (Why do I feel like I'm at an A.A. meeting?.....I'm Karl and I have a problem...with Land Cruisers. The first step is admitting you have a problem). Anyway I just joined TAC. I'm 37 , also married my high school sweetheart 13 years ago, have 3 year old twins. I'm a podiatrist (foot and ankle surgeon) in St. Louis. My wife and I grew up in Calif and moved here 7 yearsw ago. I inherited my cousin's 1965 fj45lv about a year ago. It sat for a long time in Idaho before I got to it. I had TLC 4x4 in Calif. redo all the mechanicals (basically all the components they put on their Icon cruiser). So far I've spoken with Steve Fox and met Erik C. and that's it. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone, joining some outings, etc. I've got a lot to learn about cruisers, hope everyone's patient.
Karl

Hi

My name is Sebastian Chlopecki.
I wheel, maintain and modify a '01 4Runner: 33", 4.56's, rear ARB-Locker, 12K winch, HD armor all around, and more... and more to come.
I built it for my "little expeditions" (3x Colorado this year), where I hike, camp, take tones of pictures, while trying to avoid paved roads…
I have to confess that I don't have experience with more difficult trails (or lines of trails), as I usually travel in a "one-truck-pack" and some times to rather desolate areas.
So far I never broke any part of my truck's drivetrain, but I learned how to use a hi-lift, a winch and how to "improve" an off-road trail.
I have not been too active in TAC, but in my defense I'd like to say that I put some "overtime" for the corporate America, I have not-so-outdoor-oriented wife, 2 young kids and this year we bought our first house (Shawnee, KS)... so we can spend even more of our bank’s money.
...oh and I helped Randy (aka Ranski) with body-lifting his 4Runner. ;)

Sebastian
aka schlopecki

Howdy;
My name is Alan, and I'm a Cruiser-a-holic. One of the "founding five" here at TAC...I have one 76fj40 trail beatch, one 76fj40 soft top daily driver, one 83fj60 "bandwagon," a 65 fj45 lwb pup, a 64 fj45lv wagon, and a couple other. Don't remember exactly. Kinda always had a cruiser in the family or in my driveway, or at least a toyota truck;)
Somehow or another I managed to not step back fast enough when folks were looking to fill the TLCA Prez position, so, I get to delegate a lot of things, which is kinda fun;) Pretty neat seeing a bunch of folks I haven't met yet here...hope I get to roll with y'all at some point;

chef

My name is Logan, I live in Lawrence
I drive a white 99 TacomaTRD with OME suspension, 33-10.50's, ARB bumper, offroad solutions skidplates/sliders and lots of sweet dents.
I just picked up a 86 MR2 for $250 that will go as fast as you would ever want to go in a field,I also have a 81 BMW 528i, a 91 325i.
I have been up to tuttle with you guys a few time,. look forward to joining you guys again.

My name is Darryl C>I drive a red 74 fj with some diamond plate and a bit of grey powder coat,also a 01 HD2500 Black and as of 4 hours ago,another 74 fj with a 4'lift on 35's.My wife is rockin the Acura and we have 3 boys Alex,Dane and Nick.I live to fish and have to work so I do remodels on homes that require a custom kitchen or bath.I want to add,I am not a member of Tornado Alley Cruisers....But I want to be.I'll gladly pay you Tuesday,for a hamburger today.I met some of you folks at the little run at Disney,Ok.and we had a great time.I ordered some of those TEQ T-shirts but I'm still waiting.Let me know where to send the $$$ for the Membership....and I'm in.I'm with Green Country Cruisers and the way I see it,You can't have too many friends on the trails.Thank you.

"I ordered some of those TEQ T-shirts but I'm still waiting"
Check was received last week in Emporia, shirts will be going out shortly..
Just wanted to make sure we followed up. Sorry for the wait.
Membership can be taken via paypal or check mailed to Chris.. Same acct.. Just in the note section let him know what it's for..

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=67763
we're cheap too.. $10 a year.. We normally collect at the meeting.. Really only use the $ for SWAG!

HOWDY!

I’m Don Pennington. My Wife, Golden, our Son Derrick, and I are Fourwheelin Fools. We use Toyota Land Cruisers to get our fix. And sometimes I/we hafta fix the Cruisers.. Daughter use ta like goin but is currently 27 and is trying to make her own life… She does still like to go ta the dunes....

Been married fer 31 years now. Reckon we each pickd the right one..

How it all started is a love of the outdoors. Ya know, Campin, Huntin’ an Fishin’. A 4x4 will help us git into them secreat hidey-holes… Then just the adventure of getting there and back kinda takes over. Hey Ya’ll Watch this!

Our main rig is a red an yeller 73 FJ 40. Showin about 249,000 miles now. But the odometer didn’t werk the first 5 years we owned it. So I figure add 50,000. Purdy stock. Jus got lockers an lif springs biggr tars an lower gearin with an SM420 trans to help it get over more an most difficult old roads an trails. Got 4 wheel disc brakes to get er stopped. Mini truck power steerin. Underhood weldr. Oh an a full cage and racin seat belts jus in case it falls over.

The other one is a blue 84 FJ60. Retired this one. Now a lawn ornament.... 285,000 miles an runs like crap. Been a good ol rig. Left side bashd in by a red light runnin Olsmobile driver. The tuffest wheelin it has done would be Taylor Pass and Pomeroy Lake out in Colorado. Not sure where Daughter and Son Mighta taken it….

The three of us have also been werkin on a 71 FJ40 for Derrick. Purdy much built the same as the 73.. Been after him fer a while to write an article bout it…

We do a lot of 4 wheelin. Gotta be a reason for going to werk at the same place for 28+ years. I am a retired Heavy Equipment Mechanic. Golden is a Receiving Inspector. Amber werks at being a mom to little Abel. Derrick is werkin as a heavy equipment mechanic, in the same shop I retired frum.

We usta belong to 2 clubs. Let the TAC membership lapse.. Wichita 4x4 Club and Tornado Alley Cruisers. That is the order that we joined them. I was Treasurer & President of the Wichita 4x4 Club. Now just on BOD.

We also have a 2 seat Sand Rail. It is more Golden's to drive. It don't break so much that way...

Now ya know all bout me, Don P.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot ta mention that I met Alan L. & Eric C. out in Moab durin the Cruise in 2000. I joined TAC that fall. Dues that first year were $5. Been money well spent.... Good folks!

Last edited:
I'm Andrew Booth, and I've just acquired my first Cruiser.

I guess my fascination with Land Cruisers started a long ways back, but I never thought of looking for one until recently.

I've had an unhealthy obsession with cars in general starting with my 1975 Torino (my first car, which I still have). After throwing a significant amount of time and money at the Torino I purchased a 93 Mustang GT in 2001 (I had a Ford allegiance).

I've always loved Colorado and exploring and was never satisfied with owning just a car. I had a 93 Ranger 4cyl 2wd as a cheap beater for a while (I traded this in for the Stang). Drove the Mustang for 3 years and had it break a bunch during that time. In 2004 I once again got the truck "itch" and purchased a 2003 Ranger FX4 with a rear locking diff. I loved that truck but it just cost too much to keep around so I traded down to my current DD the 2002 Protegé.

Also attempted to "wheel" the Protege on Guanella Pass near Georgetown, CO in late May 2005 and nearly tore the front end off the car. Everyone at the top had Troopers and 4Runners and such and looked at me as though I was nuts (went up from the Grant, CO side, there was lots of construction and other fun things going on there).

After driving the Protegé for about a year I started to get the "itch" again, but this time I had decided I wanted an SUV (I really like the interior room the Mazda gives me). Then it hit me, I WANT A CRUISER!.

When I began searching I really wanted an FJ60 until I decided I wanted EFI and an auto so my attention shifted to the 62. After much thinking and deliberation with my brother-in-law I decided on an 80 series Cruiser. Searching and learning about the 80's became a bit of a task, differentiating between the various diff locks and options. Once I became educated in the ways of the 80 series I decided on a 93-97 with lockers. As luck would have it, I found two relatively cheap locked LC's in the KC metro area.

The first LC I looked out was a bit of a mess, to say the least. About a week later I found my current Cruiser, and decided to go out a have a look-see. After test driving it and going over it using a flashlight with my brother-in-law, aka logcruiser, (it was dark) I decided I wanted it and the next day asked the seller to hold it for me.

The seller was kind enough to hold it for me for about 2 weeks while I waited for my Christmas bonus. Then, yesterday, I picked it up and haven't stopped smiling since.

And that's my story.

Current Vehicles:
2002 Mazda Protegé5
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser
1975 Ford Torino Elite

Last edited:
welcome kccruiser...i also have the land cruiser addiction...a 68 40 and a 72 55...i just cant seem to get used to the newer models.....good luck with your new rig...prepare to spend lots o $$$$$ and time

osagecruiser

My name is Matt Isley aka “eyezlee”. I live in Topeka currently. I’m a recent transplant from North Dakota. I have a lovely wife Kaylin (also high school sweethearts, married almost 7 years) and a daughter Hannah who is about a year and a half.

I haven’t been real active in the 4x4 community since I’ve lived here mainly because my daughter consumes my free time. I’ve been a long time lurker here at MUD, I never thought to look into the club pages until I was guided here by Ranski. I’m planning on joining soon though.

My addiction with Toyota 4x4’s started back in 97 when I bought a ’92 pickup longbed. I bought that truck to get around in the ND’s winters and soon discovered that wheel’n was fun year-round. That truck morphed into a trail rig over the years which included all the mini goodies from marlin and others. Spring of 04 I bought my first cruiser to use as a daily driver, it is an ’87 fj-60, bone stock from another MUD member. Aside from a few rust spots it is in beautiful shape. Spring of 05 I had the opportunity to buy a ’96 fzj80 with all the options I wanted (locker, no roof rack, etc…). Currently both of my cruisers are unmolested and I have no plans for major mods other than maintenance items. This changes the more I read here though.

I’ve wheeled with an unnamed, unorganized club from back home all around ND, western Minnesota and Gilbert, Minnesota, I've been to tuttle creek a handful of times, and my folks have land up in the hills outside of Sturgis SD so i'm planning trips up there soon.

I ended up selling my wheeling truck in a vain attempt to raise cash for a house purchase. :doh: Probably the stupidest thing I could have done but hey, (hindsight). I know the guy that bought it from me so at least I know it is good hands. I am planning on building my next wheeling rig from a mini platform (pre-95 truck, runner) and running a 7mgte. I’m in parts gathering mode now.

Other hobbies/obsessions include: backpacking, camping, biking, chasing rugrat around the house. :D

I’m looking forward to putting faces with names.

Matt

welcom eyezlee...from a neighbor to the south...osage city...tac is a great club with terriffic members...have questions they answer...need parts they will help....if you ever get down this way holler... maybe we can wheel

osagecruiser

LC in KC

Well, a LX450...close enough right? I'm officially addicted to Toyotas - had 8 pickups, 1 Tacoma (Supercharged), 1 Tundra, 2 Supras (MKIII and MKIV), a 4Runner, a Lexus RX300 and a LX470. These were all when I was single and having a good time (with the exception of the 300 and 470). Now I don't have the money I used to when I would buy what I wanted and do whatever to it. I have to be a little more thrifty now with 3 kids and a wife!!!

Just bought a 97 LX450 with 105K on the clock. Pretty good shape, unlocked but has had all Lexus maint. I plan on fixing the PHH and doing a birf rebuild soon even though both look good. The past few days I have been changing out fluids and making my mark on everything. Always happy with a new Toy!!

Would love to get together with some others, especially on the birfs. I have had a few front ends apart but it would always be nice to have someone on hand that has had one apart before. I plan on joining up with TLCA and TAC soon.

Hello! My name is Rick Lasch. I live in Topeka, Kansas. I joined TLCA back in September, but for some unknown reason my membership never got processed. Finally e-mailed Jennifer Lorinecz and got my membership taken care of. Received my membeship # today so I decided it was time to introduce myself. I bought my first Land Cruiser back in 1980, it was a '79FJ-40. This was to be my daily driver for the next 10 years. I had never had a vehicle that I could go just about anywhere I wanted to, and not worry about getting there. Well, after 10 years of salt and driving around in the summertime with the top off, it rusted out pretty bad in usual places, and I didn't have the money to put into it, so in 1990 I ended up trading it in on a '82 F-250 2wd. That ended up being a big mistake, because I found out that I really missed my Land Cruiser. What I should have done, was to take out a loan and have my cruiser repaired. I could already tell that I had developed an addiction for Land Cruiser's. It's suprising, but you really can tell a Land Cruiser from a j@*p, even a mile away. I bought my '77 LC in March of 2002. Had to make a road trip up to Racine, Wi. It wasn't really what I was looking for, but after traveling 14 hours in a ice storm, the kind that you go 5 mph and still slide sideways on, I decided I wasn't going home empty. It has 1/8 inch steel welded all the way around the rear quarter panels, 350 V-8, SM 465 tranny mated up to a NP205 TC, 35" TSL Boggers, Dana 60's front and rear with the spider gears being welded in the rear. We did find out at the Daylight Savings Run in October, that it didn't have a locker in front. It came with a Bestop soft top, and a whole lotta spare parts. Hopefully I'll be able to make the TAC party, er, I meant TAC meeting and meet up with a few more TAC members.​

Welcome Rick. The Topeka contingent is on the rise.

Greetings From St. Louis

Hi all. I'm new to this forum in the past hour. I was looking for the 80sCOOL pages and stumbled on this. I've got a '96 FZJ80 that I purchased new in '96 and loved it ever since. About 85k on the clock and not a single problem since new (rebuilt the starter and replaced the driver's door handle/mechanism and that's it other than usual maintenance!).

I did the OME shocks and springs myself and then extended the diff breathers, put on an ARB front bumper with Warn M12000 and some PIAA 90pro dual fog/driving lamps. Add the second battery (two Optima blue tops) and tossed in the factory center diff lock switch and the in-dash cupholder. I think that's it.

Wait, I've got a full-cage divider behind the second row of seats and the factory front and rear diff locks (still working great!).

I used to get it out in the mud fairly often but haven't had the time for several years. Thought I would check into some mods to improve performance and I found this site - pretty nice so far!

I look forward to meeting some of you in the future - let me know who is in St. Louis ( I might even drive over for the KC meet next month).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom