To Those That Twister Sector Shafts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To Those That Twister Sector Shafts... were you able to reuse your pitman arm? Is it a case by case basis or is there a hard and fast rule to never reuse? Could save me some time of trying to get the damn thing off if its junk anyways.
This isn't mine but is pretty close to the degree of bends I got going on.

Whats the best place online to buy sector shafts and rebuild kits?

full

Beno could hook you up .... there is a 105 series upgraded sector shaft to consider as well

Contact

We reused mine when we put a steering box from a wrecked truck in. Worked fine.

Thanks, I'm hoping I can reuse mine!

Appears pittman needs to come off anyway to get sector out.

Great news Kevin, thanks! I got my steering box out and cracked the covers open, bagged the bearings and bolts. I'm not messing with any seals, rings, or needle bearings but I did want to get jump started on cleaning it up.

Pitman arm isnt hard to get off. just get a legit puller and throw antisieze on the threads... tighten then tap with hammer. tighten then tap with hammer.... repeat repeat and bang youre done. no biggie.

My concern isn't getting it off so much as are the pitman arms compromised after being exposed to the same force that twisted the sector shaft they are attached to?

If you go 105 sector shaft it needs a new pitman anyway IIRC.

Correct. Upgrading to the 105 Series 32mm sector shaft requires replacement of the pitman arm.

Wait for the 105 upgrade? It needs a new pitman.

To reseal the box, install the new sector, the pitman still needs to come off,,, so, press.

To reseal the box, install the new sector, the pitman still needs to come off,,, so, press.

Um yeah except the pitman itself needs to be sized to the 105 shaft which is larger than the 80 shaft. We sent out a local mudder's gear box to Dallas to be rebuilt and used the 105 upgrade. We didn't realize we needed a matching pitman till the gear box showed up. Are you saying I should have been able to use the stock pitman in the new upgraded shaft?

I think you guys are answering different questions but are both right...
YES 105 Sector shaft must match 105 pittman arm...
and YES you need to press the pittman arm off to get the twisted sector shaft out...
I was confused in thinking the sector shaft comes out from the bottom when it comes our of the top (meaning the pitman arm has to be taken off for that to happen))

I think you guys are answering different questions but are both right...
YES 105 Sector shaft must match 105 pittman arm...
and YES you need to press the pittman arm off to get the twisted sector shaft out...
I was confused in thinking the sector shaft comes out from the bottom when it comes our of the top (meaning the pitman arm has to be taken off for that to happen))

Yes :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom