To buy or not to buy?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have to fly out there? Are you paying for a hotel night(s)? How much is the PPI from the Toyota dealer? Adding those costs up, that seems kind of high for the year/mileage. Right after we bought our 2013 last year, a 2016 was for sale at a local dealer for $55K with 24K miles and I've since seen a few more 2016 200's for sale at the local dealers for $55K and under with less than 30,000mi. Now those, I'd purchase sight unseen with some detailed photos as most of them were also Toyota certified used. The 200 is a phenomenal vehicle, but I wouldn't rush to buy one at an average or above average price especially if it was out of state.

I'm not aware that you can get the Toyota brand extended warranty after the factory warranty has expired. Which it has in this case. I think the only way to get a Toyota brand warranty at that mileage and age is to buy a CPO from a Toyota dealer. In this case, you'll be looking for an aftermarket extended warranty and those get iffy with coverage, ease of use, and price.

During the PPI, make sure the HVAC recirculation/fresh change button does what it's supposed to do. It's an expensive repair to fix a broken filter door flap because so many LCs have their filter doors forced open when the system is not in recirc.

Do you have to fly out there? Are you paying for a hotel night(s)? How much is the PPI from the Toyota dealer? Adding those costs up, that seems kind of high for the year/mileage. Right after we bought our 2013 last year, a 2016 was for sale at a local dealer for $55K with 24K miles and I've since seen a few more 2016 200's for sale at the local dealers for $55K and under with less than 30,000mi. Now those, I'd purchase sight unseen with some detailed photos as most of them were also Toyota certified used. The 200 is a phenomenal vehicle, but I wouldn't rush to buy one at an average or above average price especially if it was out of state.
Agreed. As for us, we will be driving in a $40-50 rental and driving back in LC. No hotels. PPI about $120. All in all, we are looking at about $250-300 (including gas) in expense to go there and bring it back. The dealer is willing to give additional $500 discount on top of the final agreed price because we have to drive there to inspect the vehicle and take it for PPI before buying. The thing is, I’ve seen some 2016 LC with lower mileage in the upper 50s to lower 60s range but they either don’t have the color combo we need or don’t have a clean carfax report (with accident on it). With this one, it has about 15-20K higher mileage than what I would ideally like but the price is almost $7-10K lower than most 2016 that i’ve come across.

The 200 series is built to last 1,000,000 + miles in a Third World country. Just get the warranty coverAge for your piece of mine I’m sure you’ll never have to use it but if it’s the right color for you the right vehicle don’t listen to anybody else.

The 200 series is built to last 1,000,000 + miles in a Third World country. Just get the warranty coverAge for your piece of mine I’m sure you’ll never have to use it but if it’s the right color for you the right vehicle don’t listen to anybody else.

Yet people still ask if they can put regular in their LX and claim that the engine will blow up.

UPDATE:

So the dealer called me again and said that the vehicle underwent their full inspection and is in excellent condition. The only thing needed replacement was the windshield and they will replace it at no additional cost to me. The current tires should last another 10,000+ miles so they will give me credit of $800 instead of new tires. Additionally, I will get that $500 discount for going there and picking it up. At the end of the day, we are now looking at final sale price of about $48,500 + my state/county tax (under $2000). It’ll have a 5 month (5000 miles power terrain warranty) but I’ll have to purchase comprehensive separately such as Fidelity (which according to Toyota, mirrors the Toyota warranty and is accepted nationwide).

i will still have another inspection done and do my own but pending nothing major, is it a good buy for the newly reflected price?

Sounds good!

Insist they use Toyota OEM parts on the glass replacement, including trim, fasteners, and seals. Bad replacement jobs have caused a boatload of problems on LCs/ .

Sounds good!

Insist they use Toyota OEM parts on the glass replacement, including trim, fasteners, and seals. Bad replacement jobs have caused a boatload of problems on LCs/ .
I did inquire about that and they said that the company they use do not carry parts like these so the company is getting it from a toyota dealer in another state and sending it to them, although he did say that he is not sure if the windshield will have a toyota symbol on it :/

I did inquire about that and they said that the company they use do not carry parts like these so the company is getting it from a toyota dealer in another state and sending it to them, although he did say that he is not sure if the windshield will have a toyota symbol on it :/
The important parts are the seals, trim, and fasteners. Those will allow the tech to do it right.

Full steam ahead!

Any chance that we could see a few photos of this beaut now that it's off of the market?

Full steam ahead!

Any chance that we could see a few photos of this beaut now that it's off of the market?
Absolutely. But I’ve got some mods that I want to add so I will show you in just a few days of before and after ;)

As for getting PPI done before buying, which dealership do you guys recommend? Toyota or another place. The LC is not being bought from a Toyota dealership

Your original request is unreasonable, and it’s not surprise the dealer would not accommodate it.

I would push and verify that they replace windshield with OEM parts.

For PPI, Toyota dealer or a shop specializing in land cruisers/Toyotas.

So far the only windshields available in the US for 200s are OEM (toyota logo) and pilkington. A few members (including me) report issues with the pilkington panels, like the rain sensor bracket not being flush, the VIN window not lining up, etc. There is also speculation that it isn’t as thick as an OEM panel based on wind noise. But, others are happy with their pilkington windshields.

If I were you I’d see about paying the cost difference to get an OE panel with a toyota logo.

So far the only windshields available in the US for 200s are OEM (toyota logo) and pilkington. A few members (including me) report issues with the pilkington panels, like the rain sensor bracket not being flush, the VIN window not lining up, etc. There is also speculation that it isn’t as thick as an OEM panel based on wind noise. But, others are happy with their pilkington windshields.

That may be the case with newer 200s equipped with rain sensing wipers, however my 2008 LC has an off-name, presumably Korean or Chinese windshield in it.

I do recall reading somewhere that the factory windshield on these are ~2MM thicker than any other Toyota model. I'd certainly go the OEM route given the choice.

That may be the case with newer 200s equipped with rain sensing wipers, however my 2008 LC has an off-name, presumably Korean or Chinese windshield in it.

I do recall reading somewhere that the factory windshield on these are ~2MM thicker than any other Toyota model. I'd certainly go the OEM route given the choice.
OEM also filters out 98% plus of UVA rays The damage your interior

FWIW, I bought my 16 used with 31k miles in September for $53k. One owner, no accidents. Included a 100k Toyota platinum warranty and 75k maintenance package (had Toyota refund me the pro rated amount left-got $1000!).

It was nine hours away from me, but had someone I know with a 200 check it out for me. The price you negotiated is decent, but it isn't the best I have seen.
This sounds a little too good to be true. September of 2019 pre covid, with a platinum warranty??

Great deal!
let me know if another one like that pops up 👍

This sounds a little too good to be true. September of 2019 pre covid, with a platinum warranty??

Great deal!
Agreed. I just missed out on a 2016 LC with 36K miles in near showroom condition for $59K and I thought that was a great deal :p

Great deal!

It was an Ebay purchase. Link is too old, but I attached a screenshot from my ebay purchase history.

Had been listed for $57k for a long time. Offered $52 and settled on $53k. He received a company car, otherwise he would have traded in.

Best part was I also got a 75k maintenance plan included (think I paid $50 to transfer it to me from PO). His dealer ripped him off on the price, so I took the prorated refund from Toyota and pocketed just short of $1000. :). All in all, very happy with the purchase. Think I paid $650 to ship to me. I was very happy with my 2011, but seemed like too good to pass up this one at the price.

Screenshot_20200705-193612_eBay.jpg

It was an Ebay purchase. Link is too old, but I attached a screenshot from my ebay purchase history.

Had been listed for $57k for a long time. Offered $52 and settled on $53k. He received a company car, otherwise he would have traded in.

Best part was I also got a 75k maintenance plan included (think I paid $50 to transfer it to me from PO). His dealer ripped him off on the price, so I took the prorated refund from Toyota and pocketed just short of $1000. :). All in all, very happy with the purchase. Think I paid $650 to ship to me. I was very happy with my 2011, but seemed like too good to pass up this one at the price.

View attachment 2362728
I’m bringing you along the next I go to haggle the price on a vehicle, house or boat!

You’ll have to admit it’s pretty rare to see such a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom