To buy or not to buy?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning,

I am hoping some who have knowledge or have undergone this process may be of assistance to us. Your help and time will be greatly appreciated. I have finalized a deal on 2016 Land Cruiser with about 60,000 miles. The dealer is NOT a Toyota dealer and is out-of-state. It would be really hard for me to travel to them at the moment. Although they are willing to deliver at doorstep, I was hoping to have it delivered at a Toyota Dealership near my house so while the vehicle is being inspected (at my own expense), I can look over the paperwork and then sign off on it if all is well. However, they are unwilling to accommodate this request of getting it inspected at a dealership near my house before I buy (esp with their long travel and then me backing out at end in worst case scenario, even after I agreed to a non-refundable deposit to cover cost of their travel, lodging etc).

They did offer a discount if I travel to them and stated that I can travel to them and take it to a local Toyota dealership near them to get it inspected before buying it. I did talk to a local Toyota dealership there and they may be willing to pick up the vehicle for me and bring it back to Toyota dealership to get it inspected before dropping it back off to the original dealer, all without my presence. I will know for sure tomorrow

The other issue is that its warranty has expired and while they will offer about 5 months (5,000 miles drive terrain warranty), I would have to purchase extended warranty after purchase of vehicle. Moreover, the vehicle has no accidents but only has about 3-4 service records for those 60,000 miles with more than 1 previous owners.

The out-the-door price is great and color combination is exactly what we are shopping for. What is your recommendation and/or tips (would you proceed forward with sale)?

Many many thanks.

I once bought a Honda Pilot sight unseen shipped from Cali to Arizona. I was able to ship to my Honda dealer in Phoenix but not under any stipulations. I just wanted it to go their for full check and maintenance as needed. I ended up with very decent for its miles Honda Pilot. Local dealer inspection with person on iphone or android doing face time would be my choice to get look at what I was buying. Good Luck to you.

I don’t see any major red flags in what you’ve described. Get the Toyota dealer in the city where the cruiser is to pick it up and do a PPI. If all is well, have the vehicle delivered to your house and enjoy it! Run a search on Mud for help with an aftermarket warranty. Those are tricky, with lots of caveats, and it’s easy to overpay.

At 60,000 miles, and a clean carfax, I'd be comfortable buying sight unseen if there are good pictures of everything available. The service history isn't THAT spotty, likely the oil changes haven't all been done somewhere that reports them. If you can travel to get it that's great, but if everything checks out I wouldn't be too worried. With two owners, as long as one wasn't a rental car company, I wouldn't worry.

FWIW, I don't blame them for not shipping the truck before you buy it, even at your expense. What if you flake on them? Then they have to pay their cost to retrieve the truck. I sure wouldn't ship my truck to a prospective buyer at their expense without having the purchase completed.

You can read several threads about extended warranties on this forum, and buy accordingly. I don't buy them, but if you do I'd recommend the Toyota one only. Too many scams and fine print in lots of the aftermarket extended warranties.

I got an independent inspection (Lemonsquad) and bought and shipped sight unseen. Probably not for every situation, but I was able to speak with owner directly (private sale), and was buying at bottom of market where there were few units a

In general an 'inspection' will only reveal the obvious stuff, but it is better than nothing if you are sight unseen.

Not seeing any red flags here. Would it be too difficult to take a day or two of PTO and go pick it up in person? You are about to drop 5 figures after all...

Thank you all for the input. I am working on arranging 1-2 days off so I can go, inspect it, take it to a Toyota dealership there, have them inspect it after the dealership’s own inspection and then bring it back if all goes well.

i did receive the pictures and the vehicle (inside and out) is in very decent shape. Did I also mention it is very beautiful (*tear drop*)?

Now about the extended warranty, how much should I be looking to fork out for let’s say Toyota’s 4 yrs/48,000 miles? I keep getting different figures from different Toyota dealers and the figures are not that close to each other

200s come up for sale all the time. This transaction looks too difficult with your requirements for an inspection out of state.

I'd forget about this one and wait until you're ready to travel to purchase or when a local one comes up for sale.

Used 200 series cruisers are not rare. Wait for a better opportunity.

only thing additionally I would ask is to make sure there is no rust on the undercarriage. That was a huge deal breaker for me when searching for a 200.

Make sure the dealer verifies with their tech that will inspect they actually give a proper once over and not a simple check fluids and brakes and out the door. When I had PPI done for a 200, the rep I spoke to made it seem like they would give the 200 a proper once over and drive around and what not. Car had A/C issues that I mentioned to the rep as well to have his tech look over.
When lead tech came out to talk to me about the car, he didn't mention anything about A/C and didn't seem to have done the inspection I thought I was getting. Mentioned what the rep said would initially be done and what I wanted them to look into. He had a tech go back and look over some of the items and refunded me half my money for the miscommunication which was real nice.

Buying a car that’s readily available sight unseen without driving it is the silliest thing I ever heard of. Especially a used one.

Buying a car that’s readily available sight unseen without driving it is the silliest thing I ever heard of. Especially a used one.

Agree 100%. If this was a cheap buy, then i can see that. But if this is $20-30k or more, then hell no.

Thank you guys again,

As mentioned in my previous post, I will be travelling next week to inspect the vehicle and take it over to Toyota for PPI before purchasing. It has been finalized. I got a final sale price of about $51,000 with it having about 60,000 miles on it. Another $2000-2500 for Toyota warranty and $1500 in state/county tax. At the end, we’re looking at about $55,000 OTD for that Land Cruiser. The vehicle is in great shape (no accidents, No dents). Clean carfax. Interior in great shape with seats that look barely used. It’ll have new tires and undergo their full inspection before I inspect it myself and get a PPI at a local Toyota dealer there before buying.

Good deal?

@ 04UZJ100: You are right and that is why I was going through the steps I was going through. There was nothing in my original post indicating that I would purchase the vehicle without test driviving it or getting it inspected from another place (along with inspecting it myself).

Everyone’s input is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

I purchased mine out of state from some grifter used car lot. Place was a hole. The "dealer" that I was speaking to offered to smoke a joint with me. The price was fantastic and he gave me the VIN. Clean record and stunning service records from Toyota. One owner. I thought somethings gotta be wrong. But I asked him if I could do an inspection my self and it needs to go up on a lift as well. I was surprised he said yes. It was perfectly fine. Little surface rust except for the tow hitch was pretty rusty, KDSS not even that bad for living in CT.

Very strange experience but it worked out well. Saved a bundle. I really believe the guy didn't know or care just a quick flip. Red flags where burning bright but nothing. I don't see a thing wrong with your situation. But I would have it thoughtfully inspected and show up to make the purchase. If you pull the trigger your going to have a great long ride home.

Warranties with a LC with low miles are a waste of money in my opinion. But they are a little piece of mind. Hey you never know. What would have to go perfectly wrong to cover the price of the warranty? It's not a Range Rover. Good luck. Curious how it works out for you.

Thank you guys again,

As mentioned in my previous post, I will be travelling next week to inspect the vehicle and take it over to Toyota for PPI before purchasing. It has been finalized. I got a final sale price of about $51,000 with it having about 60,000 miles on it. Another $2000-2500 for Toyota warranty and $1500 in state/county tax. At the end, we’re looking at about $55,000 OTD for that Land Cruiser. The vehicle is in great shape (no accidents, No dents). Clean carfax. Interior in great shape with seats that look barely used. It’ll have new tires and undergo their full inspection before I inspect it myself and get a PPI at a local Toyota dealer there before buying.

Good deal?

@ 04UZJ100: You are right and that is why I was going through the steps I was going through. There was nothing in my original post indicating that I would purchase the vehicle without test driviving it or getting it inspected from another place (along with inspecting it myself).

Congrats!! What color combo?

Appreciate your input. I’ll keep you curious minds updated along with pics. Thanks

Thank you guys again,

Good deal?

FWIW, I bought my 16 used with 31k miles in September for $53k. One owner, no accidents. Included a 100k Toyota platinum warranty and 75k maintenance package (had Toyota refund me the pro rated amount left-got $1000!).

It was nine hours away from me, but had someone I know with a 200 check it out for me. The price you negotiated is decent, but it isn't the best I have seen.

You might look at an independent PPI shop as opposed to a Toyota dealer. More likely to get a more thorough inspection since that is all they do.

Last edited:
Thank you guys again,

Good deal?

get the warranty bumper-to-bumper not just drive train go up look at I have local Toyota dealer run inspection on everything will report and make sure there’s no rust and you’re good to go because if there is something wrong your warranty will pay for it. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom