Builds TN LX570 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TN LX570

SILVER Star
Threads
After hanging around for a few months, I've decided to compile a build thread and try to keep it up to date going forward.

Why the LX:
We've had an RX and ES350 in the family for the several years. The reliability and lack of any major issues has been phenomenal.
Every time I visited the dealership I admired the LX and it's capabilities, but being a "truck guy" I hated the amount of tupperware that seems to have been growing on the platform over the years. I knew I wanted one, but also knew I'd want to start modifying it, and the last several years work/life hasn't allowed that time luxury.

Fast forward to 2019: Life was good, I was busier than ever and traveling for work nearly every week with a job I greatly enjoy. Nov 22nd of that year, things changed. I don't remember any of it, as I woke up a week later.... but apparently my heart decided to stop beating. I don't want to congest this thread with those details, but if you care to know and want to hear my PSA so it doesn't happen to you. The video is here.

So after a few months of recovery and cardiac rehab, I begin to think about the next chapter of life. I decided that really need to include an LX.
COVID had shifted many things remote and slowed down work in general, so I took that to mean now is the time!

Vehicle Search:
I hunted for several weeks looking for the right truck. I wanted black, and I wanted one that had a strong Lexus service history (via Lexus drivers lookup).
I also wanted a deal. By nature, I'm a guy always looking for open box or amazon warehouse items, I hate paying retail price.
One night this truck popped up on the search. It was at a Mercedes dealership in Memphis (3 hours away). They had lowered the price from 29K to 25K.
The service records were ridiculously strong, even paying the dealership to change wiper blades and the radiator had just been replaced.
I got a rental car and drove over the next morning. The dealership was dead (this was the Covid summer peak). Found out it was a trade in, they'd been sitting on for 3 months. I gave 20K+tax for the truck.

Vehicle: 2011 LX570
Acquired: June 2020
Mileage:158K

Build to Date:

As Purchased
IMG_0032.jpeg

Acquired wheels via FB marketplace. Ordered tires and tried to wait patiently.

While waiting on tires started with the bolt ons: Trail Tailor Recovery Points
IMG_0236.jpeg

Spidertrax Spacers
IMG_0237.jpeg

AHC sensor/techstream lift (with and without)
53E55672-50DA-437B-9872-23246465C7F7.JPG

Tires Finally Arrived!
IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0339.PNG

Removed the side chrome. 3m eraser wheel was clutch to get the gunk off, it was really on there.

Rhino Rack

IMG_1178.jpeg

IMG_1181.jpeg

2A69616E-6C42-4661-81DC-949352A58953.JPG

Last edited:
Spent way too long going down the rabbit hole of how AHC communicates the speed restriction over CANBUS.

That thread is here.

IMG_1860.jpeg

Stedi Hatch Light
IMG_1910.jpeg

IMG_1951.jpeg

Kaon Rack

IMG_1874.jpeg

Stereo started making terrible sound. Disassembled the amp. Notice the corrosion in the bottom corner, cleaned it up and no problems since.

IMG_2200 3.jpeg

Last edited:
After looking for months, finally got a deal on a full size spare.

IMG_2240(1).jpg

Joined the Cool Kids Club

IMG_2371(1).jpg

Thus Far:
Trail Tailor Recovery Points
Hikari LED Headlights
Morimoto Fogs
AHC Lift and Trim
TRD BBS Pros w/ Ridge Grapplers
Rhino Rack
40" LED Bar
Side Strip Leds
Hatch Light
Rear Power Ports/Switches
AHC "Override Switch"

Coming Soon (I have all the parts but need a couple of long weekends)
4.3 Front/Rear Diffs
Tundra Front End Conversion Parts
Tundra Front Brakes
New Shocks Front/Rear (2 are starting to leak)
New Accumulators
All the bushings for the front end
10mm Coil Spacers

Future:
Budbuilt Skids (Group Buy :) )
Bumpers/Winch

Last edited:
After looking for months, finally got a deal on a full size spare.

View attachment 2538905

Joined the Cool Kids Club

View attachment 2538906

Thus Far:
Trail Tailor Recovery Points
Hikari LED Headlights
Morimoto Fogs
AHC Lift and Trim
TRD BBS Pros w/ Ridge Grapplers
Rhino Rack
40" LED Bar
Side Strip Leds
Hatch Light
Rear Power Ports/Switches
AHC "Override Switch"

Coming Soon (I have all the parts but need a couple of long weekends)
4.3 Front/Rear Diffs
Tundra Front End Conversion Parts
Tundra Front Brakes
New Shocks Front/Rear (2 are starting to leak)
New Accumulators
All the bushings for the front end
10mm Coil Spacers

Future:
Budbuilt Skids (Group Buy :) )
Bumpers/Winch
Yeah, that is a sweet deal on that truck!

Sweet!
Jealous about that 5th BBS. I threw a trasharoo over the non-matching spare until I find one.
Did you wire that “glass” button to open the rear hatch?

Did you wire that “glass” button to open the rear hatch?
Yeh. It’s wired to the outside handle, so it releases without the auto lift. My thought being if you are sleeping in the truck or it’s the middle of the night you can open the hatch without the buzzer and noise of auto lift.

A: Great truck, looks like you really know how to enjoy and appreciate it.
B: Incredible PSA, thanks for that. Ca scan on the "do now" list.

Did you wire a switch to override AHC without having to manually pull the plug? Congrats on the clean Bill of health!

I had the calcium test after a whole hullabaloo over heartburn. At the time I thought entire event was embarrassing and and excessive given my age and fitness level but seeing your PSA changed my mind on all that and I appreciate that.

Also, cool truck and I’m looking forward to the updates!

Did you wire a switch to override AHC without having to manually pull the plug?
Yes I did. You will still get the dash errors until you pull the fuse for the gateway ecu or turn the ahc back on, but it does function.
Honestly, I haven’t hardly used it. It was more one of those just to see if it could be done projects.

Yeh. It’s wired to the outside handle, so it releases without the auto lift. My thought being if you are sleeping in the truck or it’s the middle of the night you can open the hatch without the buzzer and noise of auto lift.

I'd love to see a write up on this.

I'd love to see a write up on this.
I don't remember exactly. Next time I've got that panel off I'll look again.
I think its the ground that engages momentarily when you push the switch to unlock it.
So, the new switch I installed just does the same. One lead to a ground, and one lead spliced in that ground wire on the door switch connector.

@TN LX570 - thanks for the PSA, just watched it and am hoping your recovery is going well. I too am an avid runner, and am always a bit nervous about my heart so had the calcium scan done a couple years back. Probably due for another one as I’m older and less health conscious in terms of nutrition these days.

love your rig also! And the well thought out mods.

After months of gathering parts, finally got some work done over the past weekend. Sliders are on. Tundra front swap and brakes are done. Budbuilt skids are on and ready to get banged up!

54735112-3C1E-4F33-B198-CB16C86B3545.jpeg
8EE78CA6-B85C-46A5-8DA0-2187BE331CCA.jpeg
5989402C-14F3-4F02-B468-F6D5BB029C28.jpeg
128F0C62-F9DA-45BA-8618-FB11BDEAD1A8.jpeg
FB6B301D-7F3E-4D0E-B3D5-3840610DB03A.jpeg
B4E9ED0D-C207-4B16-B842-6A950741C513.jpeg
C7483E5B-2A33-4CD9-B40C-D58FCA3102BA.jpeg

Knocked out a few little projects. Weboost, GMRS, and Voswitch

Weboost:
Mounted it in the factory bottle jack spot, and ran the antenna wire in at the rear through the hatch and down that side panel. Mounted the internal antenna with double sided tape above the passenger seat lower seat belt mechanism. External antenna is on the rhino pivot mount.

Voswitch:
Stole this install idea from @BigMF . The controller works great on the little pop out cubby. I mounted the main unit on top of the passenger side fuse box under the hood, and brought the wiring through the passenger side grommet on the firewall.

GMRS:
The radio is not something I necessitate in the truck on a daily basis, so I wanted a clean way to only have it there when needed. Found a flush mount ethernet connector and fitted it underneath the driver's seat temperature control. Really happy with how that worked out. Link

Plugs/PCV Valve:
Really wished I check the PCV valve a year ago when I bough the truck. It was gummed up and completely stuck. Simple 2 min change.

73067521-469B-402B-AFF3-EEAFBE09C429.jpeg

1543D338-9F14-46CC-B6FE-64ADC307CECC.jpeg

0007866A-24D3-408A-9FC4-359E4989C5E7.jpeg

834F6AF8-CB1A-4F0A-B3EB-C077C6988040.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom