Tire/Wheel Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

on my 1998 DD I have CHROME 18" rims... i got them off craigslist and they came off a later 100 series $400 tires and 285 60 18 tire size and I like them, I just ordered a new set of tires 5 min ago going back with the 285 60 18... below is the tire i went with, good price and I liked the look... I really like simpletire.com they seem to have the best deals and fastest shipping
  1. Cooper
  2. Discoverer H/T Plus
  3. 285/60R-18
  4. https://simpletire.com/cooper-285-60r18-19930

1. Cooper
    2. Discoverer H/T Plus
    3. 285/60R-18

Last edited:
Having had 295/75r16 ko2's and now 275/70r18 ko2's. If you really do feel that you will spend that much time on rough washboard roads you will appreciate the little bit of extra sidewall. That said, I have a set of heavy ass tundra steel wheels that I only paid $100 for 6 of them(my factory 16's didn't like my driving habits when I lived in El Paso and I bent two of them enough to where they wouldn't balance out. I regularly go out on horrible washboard forest service roads and honestly just drop pressure down to 20-25lbs and it's just like on the highway. My only real suggestion would be that if you are going to be off out in the desert like you stated to go with a heavier three ply sidewall. I've had several sets of Duratracs for example and they were only two ply and they puncture quite easily from some of the thorns and stuff you are likely to encounter in the desert.
So are you saying you recommend moving up to 18s if one sticks to pavement/highway 99% of the time?

So are you saying you recommend moving up to 18s if one sticks to pavement/highway 99% of the time?
You might get a little better handling characteristics out of the 18" wheels on the highway. I would do whatever suits your taste and or wallet.

The 16 in the KO2 weighs about 2 pounds more and is about 10 bucks cheaper a tire on Tirerack. Not much help on deciding there. I would think the 16 could be more versatile when airing down. If you are not picky about wheel selection and offsets then stay 16. If you want something other than stock wheels then there are more options in the 18 inch size. I have had multiple wheel sizes and tire sizes on my 100's and I really can't recall that ride quality on washboard was a ahhhh ha stand out with any of the combos. Like it has been said going from a P Metric to an E class defiantly firms it up. I was running 35 psi in mine but bumped to 48 and it drastically improved rolling resistance and how much throttle it takes to hold 75mph. The ride is stiffer but acceptable. If you go with the 18 and adjust pressure by about 5 psi less you will achieve the same ride characteristics on washboard IMO with the sizes in question.

Thank you all, this is been very informative. I think I will stick with the 18s. Couple of follow ons: Will the 275 70 r18 clear everything on a stock lx470 with AHS? I was doing a little research in the interim and from what I can find the taller tires like that 70 are going to seriously affect fuel economy in a negative way due to increased wind resistance, gearing and other factors. What about the 275 65 18 as an intermediate option? Gives you another half inch of sidewall over stock.

Thank you all, this is been very informative. I think I will stick with the 18s. Couple of follow ons: Will the 275 70 r18 clear everything on a stock lx470 with AHS? I was doing a little research in the interim and from what I can find the taller tires like that 70 are going to seriously affect fuel economy in a negative way due to increased wind resistance, gearing and other factors. What about the 275 65 18 as an intermediate option? Gives you another half inch of sidewall over stock.

The 275 70 18 will fit on stock ahc. You can run up to a +20 offset 9 inch wide wheel with that tire but will require reforming the fender liner with a heat gun at the lower pinch weld. Any contact on top from heavy suspension compression can be solved by using your fingers to push the fender tab that the liner attaches to up and flat against the inside of the fender. You can leave the liner attached when doing this. A 1 minute mod for both sides. A stock wheel should be no issue.

The mileage hit is purely weight as the width really has no effect on wind resistance. The 65 series is smaller and less weight so you may increase mileage and suspension performance a fraction. The picture I posted in the thread is the 70 series. After my ecu adjusted for the change I don't notice the changes as much if any.

The 275 70 18 will fit on stock ahc. You can run up to a +20 offset 9 inch wide wheel with that tire but will require reforming the fender liner with a heat gun at the lower pinch weld. Any contact on top from heavy suspension compression can be solved by using your fingers to push the fender tab that the liner attaches to up and flat against the inside of the fender. You can leave the liner attached when doing this. A 1 minute mod for both sides. A stock wheel should be no issue.

The mileage hit is purely weight as the width really has no effect on wind resistance. The 65 series is smaller and less weight so you may increase mileage and suspension performance a fraction. The picture I posted in the thread is the 70 series. After my ecu adjusted for the change I don't notice the changes as much if any.

From what I've read, the mileage hit is due to wind resistance at highway speeds from raising the already not very aerodynamic vehicle higher, not the tires themselves. It also from what I have read resulted in lower fuel economy by essentially changing the gearing slightly. But you have adjusted your ECU so that may have solved that problem. How did you adjust your ECU?

But you have adjusted your ECU so that may have solved that problem. How did you adjust your ECU?

Same question here.... how do you do that?

It is/was my understanding that the ECU in our vehicle can not be adjusted for tire size changes (without an external box, like a yellow box).

I have noticed the ecu will learn on its own and alter shift points and having vvt-i the cam timing may have changed too. No hard evidence just feeling different than when the bigger tires were installed and shift points on hills have changed .

I would not argue on what effects the fuel economy . It all does to a degree. The biggest change with the sizes we are discussing is weight 1st and gearing 2nd.

Make sure to check the spare to tow hitch clearance if you go with 275 70 18. It's not a good fit on my 100. Maybe your LX is fitted with a different tow hitch. My fuel economy is crap after the upgrade to KO2s (11 mpg down from 13-15mpg). However, the performance is so much better than those POS Dunlops it came with!

Make sure to check the spare to tow hitch clearance if you go with 275 70 18. It's not a good fit on my 100. Maybe your LX is fitted with a different tow hitch. My fuel economy is crap after the upgrade to KO2s (11 mpg down from 13-15mpg). However, the performance is so much better than those POS Dunlops it came with!
My 470 has no hitch.

this was at 50 psi, I have since lowered it to 38 and it's better. for some reason costco swears I should be running 50 but I know I don't need to

Yeah, that is a big debate! Most folks here on mud are around 35 give or take. The ride is nice and wear is even. When I commute during the week I run about 45-48 and it does roll better than 35 and takes less throttle at freeway speeds around 70. Ride comfort seems very acceptable and contact patch is fine. I will drop about 5 psi next week and see how that goes. Really depends on application as to what pressure works for me. There really is no set pressure that works best imo. It is nice to be able to really dial in how you like it with something as simple as tire pressure with the ko2's.

My LX470 has a integrated hitch and my 275/70/18 BFG KO2 tire fits in there just fine. My mileage is ~13.8-14.5 in town and ~16mpg highway with the KO2's. I run 40psi cold. Stock AHC suspension.

IMG_4495.JPG

My LX470 has a integrated hitch and my 275/70/18 BFG KO2 tire fits in there just fine. My mileage is ~13.8-14.5 in town and ~16mpg highway with the KO2's. I run 40psi cold. Stock AHC suspension.

View attachment 1364412

Your LX looks great. I raised my psi to 40 today īn hopes of getting a bit more mpgs. Good way of testing my new Viair 400p compressor. I also tested inflation from 20psi to 40psi. 2 minutes flat per tire. Airing up after wheeling just got a whole lot easier! My buddy and I are doing 3N16 at the end of the month.

So I found some 2008 18 inch Tundra Wheels that should match the 5 bolt 150 bolt pattern + 60 millimeter offset I believe. Does anybody know if these are also Hub Centric like our Land Cruiser 470 Wheels and will mate up with my 470 hubs? I am assuming so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom