tire recommendations needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I need some tire recommendations for GA/SC/NC/TN/AL conditions. I am looking for an aggressive all terrain tire or a moderate tread mud terrain. Obviously money is an issue, so I am looking for good quality for a good value. Car is not a daily driver, but driven to any trails.

Thanks,

255/85 r16 maxxis
ore bfg mud km

I agree with Marius, you should go with a 255/85r16 for your size and platform vehicle. I know BFG makes them in a M/T, but I don't know about a A/T. Cooper makes a real good tire in what they call a STT in that size.

Sid

I think it comes down to be a 33.5 '' so its bigger that 285 /75/16 and stay away from basic pro comp m/t and if you buy new get insurance
3093909372_4bae929577.jpg

Trxus m/t. Great tire on the road..very good manner, tough sidewalls, wear was good for the time I had them on my old Tacoma in the 255 size, I liked them so much I think I am going to put them on the FJ when the BFG's wear out. I never worried about roots, rocks or anything with those tires. I am not impressed with BFG's sidewall durability. After Tellico I found a cut on one of the sidewalls and we were not wheeling to hard and I was only down to 20psi. I cannot imagine hitting a rock or stump with some tire speed.. might have really boogered it up. BFg;s are not known for their sidewall.

So I can run these? I have 265 65 16s. I will check out.

Thanks, gotta run as the cruise ship is departing soon....
255/85 r16 maxxis
ore bfg mud km

255/85/16 is a tall 33. These are probably the easiest 33 to get on a truck.. espcially with stock wheels. You may need a little lift and some trimming, but you wont have the clearance issues of say a 285, or 12.50 tire. I had these on an 01 Tacoma and over the 265/70, 265/75, 285/75, and the 255/85... those were the favorite tire. Tires are expensive and if you plan on going bigger than stock.. the time is now and go for the 255's you wont be disspaointed that you did.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what are Trxus m/t? What brand, and I will search for them.

Thanks
Trxus m/t. Great tire on the road..very good manner, tough sidewalls, wear was good for the time I had them on my old Tacoma in the 255 size, I liked them so much I think I am going to put them on the FJ when the BFG's wear out. I never worried about roots, rocks or anything with those tires. I am not impressed with BFG's sidewall durability. After Tellico I found a cut on one of the sidewalls and we were not wheeling to hard and I was only down to 20psi. I cannot imagine hitting a rock or stump with some tire speed.. might have really boogered it up. BFg;s are not known for their sidewall.

It is Interco's M/T. It has alot of siping and believe it or not, are great on the road. Very tough sidewall, very quiet, good in wet weather. takes a little more weight to balance because they are heavy but I loved them and they were very tough! So far I have had BFG A/T's, M/t's, Dunlop Mud Rovers, and the Interco Trxus M/T's. I am thinking hard about going back to them.. if not its because the Mickey Thompson MTZ's I have been eye balling. Also when I got my 255/85/16's they were about $135 a piece so they are not too expensive either.. but that was in 2006.

Heres the website.

TrXus MT | Interco Tire

Interco Truxxus MTs for sure.

Hey what about these tires Maxis MT-762 Bighorn 255/85 R16 8PR BSW Load Range D at $162

255/85 r16 maxxis
ore bfg mud km

Hey what about these tires Maxis MT-762 Bighorn 255/85 R16 8PR BSW Load Range D at $162

I did a search in the 80 section and people seam to like them ,when I whent to get tires they had bfg km in stock so I took them for a killer prise ,help to have friends at the right places

Last edited:
So I am finding the Maxxis bighorns in this size at $172 a tire installed and lifetime balance.
I cannot seem to beat that. I am thinking of jumping on them. Is this a good price?

A
I did a search in the 80 section and people seam to like them ,when I whent to get tires they had bfg km in stock so I took them for a killer prise ,help to have friends at the right places

So I am finding the Maxxis bighorns in this size at $172 a tire installed and lifetime balance.
I cannot seem to beat that. I am thinking of jumping on them. Is this a good price?

A

are you sure you will have enough clearance if you take the 255/85/16

I am measuring these as we speak. It does not really look so. My max wheel opening is 33.5 and decreases from there. Another problem is the spare tire storage under frame. It seems the max I can store seems to be my current 265 75 r16.
Although, I am lifting my vehicle (suspension) I do not really think I am gaining much clearance.
The difference in the 2 tire sizes is 1.65 inches diameter and 0.3 inches in width.
I am leaning toward the current tire size I have. What am I really getting with the extra 1.6 inches?
Any thoughts?

are you sure you will have enough clearance if you take the 255/85/16

is that 1.6 in total so .8'' at the top of wheel ,thats not a lot but 1.6 on top is a lot I'll take that anny day

resurected thread

All,

I am still mulling over tire size on my 3 gen 4runner. Current size is 265-75-r16 on a 2" front and 3.5" lift. I am considering going with 255-85-r16 based on several recommendations, but I am still unsure on the front of the car. I have added a few pics to get some additional feedback. Tire is turned slightly and on about a 4 inch block.
IMG_1573.jpg
IMG_1574.jpg
You can see I pulled the mud flap back in this last one
I am guessing max of 1 inch of gap currently
IMG_1576.JPG

Its not looking good....Tell me what you think
IMG_1573.jpg
IMG_1574.jpg
IMG_1576.JPG

First, Loose the mud flaps, not gonna need 'em and only required for domestic use.

Second, get off the...

bite_me_toilet_3001.jpg

Third, buy one of these and have a good time. I'll be happy to help:flipoff2:

grinder.jpg
grinder.jpg
bite_me_toilet_3001.jpg

Good ideas, but I am suffering from analysis paralysis.... so I thought I would stop by this guys shop, Vulcan, and discuss the grinding thing...., you never know he might be able to forge a few new thoughts
780px-Diego_Velasquez,_The_Forge_of_Vulcan.jpg
First, Loose the mud flaps, not gonna need 'em and only required for domestic use.

Second, get off the...

View attachment 327196

Third, buy one of these and have a good time. I'll be happy to help:flipoff2:

View attachment 327195
780px-Diego_Velasquez,_The_Forge_of_Vulcan.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom