Builds Tiny House Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice setup. Have had a Hawk on my Tundra for the last 8 years and love it. You can cut down a lot of wind noise up front by adding a spoiler under the front overhang. The unused space can be used to store camp chairs and a folding table- one of the next mods I'm planning for mine. Are you on the Wander the West site?View attachment 1767243

Right on, I've been experimenting with a few spoiler ideas but haven't found the right one yet. Good to hear about your experience with the wind noise.
Nope on the Wander the West site I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks!

Is that a rx2 in front of the Pantera? Really neat Outlander you have created!

Yup!! Well spotted! Very cool ride.

Thanks! It's been a really fun build.

That said the truck is overweight and I haven't had any luck finding a way to re-certify the GVWR.

So...the 4WC is being moved to a platform that can legally support more weight and the Tundra will keep the flat bed.

Now I just have to sort out the best spring rates to use now that it isn't hauling around a house.

The truck is overweight according to gvwr or in actual use it is overweight and not performing to your expectations?

Do you know the weight of the camper?

Yup!! Well spotted! Very cool ride.

Thanks! It's been a really fun build.

That said the truck is overweight and I haven't had any luck finding a way to re-certify the GVWR.

So...the 4WC is being moved to a platform that can legally support more weight and the Tundra will keep the flat bed.

Now I just have to sort out the best spring rates to use now that it isn't hauling around a house.

I drive a '18 2500 4 door Duramax, I'm sure that chassis and motor combo would work well for the 4WC, its even a 6.5 foot bed, way more power and really good mileage compared to Tundra, have a '08 Tundra Crewmax my wife drives.

How long have you had the rx2? That was my first car back in 1985, can't find one, seems they all went to the scrapyard.

I drive a '18 2500 4 door Duramax, I'm sure that chassis and motor combo would work well for the 4WC, its even a 6.5 foot bed, way more power and really good mileage compared to Tundra, have a '08 Tundra Crewmax my wife drives.

How long have you had the rx2? That was my first car back in 1985, can't find one, seems they all went to the scrapyard.

The RX-2 belongs to someone else in the shop, very cool ride. Super straight and silly quick. I doubt he'd part with it but I can ask if you'd like.

The current thought is a chassis cab diesel, likely an F-350 with the 6.7. More on that once we have the shop time and coin to throw at it.

The truck is overweight according to gvwr or in actual use it is overweight and not performing to your expectations?

Do you know the weight of the camper?

The truck is overweight about 1000 pounds according to GVWR. The truck's actual performance exceeded our expectations, both on and off-road. The suspension came out great and the truck has plenty of power and brake. Towards the end of our shake down I was getting a pretty consistent 13mpg which was impressive (manually shifting the trans seems to make a big difference). However regardless of how great it came out we can't sell it as it is overweight. Originally we had thought that there was a relatively painless way to re-certify GVWR, like an up-fitter for an ambulance, however not so much.

The upside is that the we have bad ass flat bed Tundra to build!! Nothing crazy, just a nice UTE inspired build.

The camper weighs approximately 1745 pounds empty. Add in the propane, water, fuel, food,recovery equipment, tools, etc... and it gets heavy quick.

Speaking of gas mileage...the old how close can we get to empty without walking game.
20180621_175108.jpg

To those who predicted the black oxide bolts wouldn't work well for the RW rings...you were right!
Although I meticulously degreased and clear coated them, the minute we got up to Montana and it started really raining they turned brown.

Luckily they didn't fight too much coming out.
20180731_160646.jpg

20180731_171454.jpg
20180731_172615.jpg

Yes, please ask if he would sell it, I've been looking for awhile and nothing has come up.

With my '08 Tundra when the screen says I have 0 miles left, the tank has 6 gallons so approx. 90 miles left, mine has to way to small 26 gallon tank, one of the only things I hate about the truck, when I'm pulling a 25' trailer I need to stop for fuel every 200 miles, so lame. After I got the Duramax it became my tow rig. Mileage is amazing 18-20 on highway empty and 13-15 towing depending on grade.

Just filled up but
B4006410-FC65-4870-8DCC-F2AC770C5CAA.jpeg
I got it down to one mile to empty just to see how much gas to fill up. The 24 gallon tank in my 2015 will take no more than 22 gallons.

I heard that the 38 gallon tank can only take 34 gallons, leaving 4 gallons reserve to keep the fuel pump cool.

I assume the extra gas is usable.

Wow this was a cool build, while it lasted.

Are you Phx Metro or somewhere else in the state?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the next iteration.

The Tundra is going to be a blast to drive once it loses 1800 pounds!

We're down in Sonoita, an hour southeast of Tucson.

We've decided to keep building the Tiny House Tundra!! It has been a really fun build and I'm super stoked to keep it going.

I had been concerned that the truck is a bit over GVWR when fully loaded, however it handles everything we throw at it with aplomb. Perhaps if we were building rigs at a production level we would want to recertify them. On that note we were able to increase the GVWR to 10000 as this one is commercially registered.

We took the truck up to OEX west and it was really great on the highway, I rarely dropped below 80 mph from Tucson to Flagstaff and still got around 10.5 mpg. The Alcan rear springs keep it really flat in the corners and minimize any body roll. The nights at OEX were freezing but the heater in the 4WC Hawk kept us warm and provided an "employee lounge" for daily after action reports.
20190516_091654.jpg
20190517_134331.jpg

Since our last report we've changed to Evo Corse 17" wheels imported by Mainline Overland, really beautifully made wheels.
IMG_20190707_172722_235.jpg

More soon :)

Last edited:
This build is awesome!. I want to see two giant spares mounted to the back of the camper, but I realize how the downsides of that probably outweigh any positives.

This build is awesome!. I want to see two giant spares mounted to the back of the camper, but I realize how the downsides of that probably outweigh any positives.

Thanks!!

Two spares would look really cool! Although properly hanging them off the back would be a bear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom