Timing a 22R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My daughter's 84 Hilux mini is special. One of the things it came with is a 22R engine that has a 93 or 94 bottom end and an 85 carbed top end. Supposedly the bottom had only 70 K when it was transferred into this truck.

Anyway, it has always seemed underpowered to me, which may have more to do with the 31 inch tires than anything else, but, now that she's off to college without it, I have some time to play with it.

Anyway, the timing had been set at 0 degrees BTDC which is standard for a carbed 22R. But I've found it seems to run better (and pull better vacuum) if I advance it to the 5 degrees BTDC that would be standard for EFI 22Rs, and better yet if I push it to 8 or even 12 degrees?

What should I set it at?? The vacuum seems smooth and good (19 inches) at the 5 degrees. No missing. More power on the hills. It's even better if I push it.

What say you all?:confused:

Any problem running it at 8 degrees BTDC if there's no knocking?

If not, then I will go with it. I find my 6 cylinder F engines like the extra advance, but I'm not sure about these new fangled engines and whether they can be safely futzed with. Thanks for the input! :D

I messed with my timing abit last night, seems I should hae checked it sooner. The PO had it way out in left field. Thing is, I cant seem to get it to go lower than 8*, and it runs better than it ever has, but has 'ping'. How can I get it to the proper 0-5?

If you really can't get it to run at less than 8 degrees advance, it makes me wonder if your distributor is off a tooth.

Are you setting it at 5 deg with the distributor advance disconnected and plugged? If so, does the advance change when you reconnect it?

On my 83 carb engine the timing is supposed to advance approx 8 deg with the vacuum line connected.

It might be off a tooth, the PO that rebuilt it is a dick! Didnt know what he was doing! Stripped bolts left and right on the oil pan! WTF?!

Are you setting it at 5 deg with the distributor advance disconnected and plugged? If so, does the advance change when you reconnect it?

On my 83 carb engine the timing is supposed to advance approx 8 deg with the vacuum line connected.

X2 on checking the vacuum advance. It always amazes me how many people bring their trucks in to be smogged, and they retard the timing to get it to pass the functional check. The problem is, their vacuum advance isn't working, so they're going to go advance it again once they leave the shop. The 22Rs are like that, the problem I see most with the 22RE and the V6 is the TPS IDL circuit not advancing the timing on acceleration.

Dave where did you find the 0 degrees spec? maybe im bilegerant, but i have not used that spec before...

It's in the IG (ignition) section of the 1985 Toyota Truck FSM. (Page Ig10)

There it says to do it with the vacuum hoses connected (but "cut"). As you see, it instructs you to turn it to 12 degrees advance, but then in bold it says 0 degrees TDC. The 84 manual says 5 degrees BTDC, and nothing about the 12 degree mark thing. Confusing.*

The instructions under engine tuneup (page EM9) give the same 0 degrees, but say to do with vacuum advancer off. And it says nothing about the 12 degree mark.

So. I remain confused. What do you usually do?

*I have both an 84 and 85 manual. The truck's an 84, but as far as I can tell, the vacuum hose system matches the 85, so I think it's a 85 top and 94 bottom.
Truck timing (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Interesting.

....The more you know! :rainbow::star:

the distributor is not actually advancing at idle, is it?

cause that would be valid according to the FSM- leave hoses connected, and adjust to 12, then with them disconnected, check it and it should be on 0

???

Interesting.

....The more you know! :rainbow::star:

the distributor is not actually advancing at idle, is it?

cause that would be valid according to the FSM- leave hoses connected, and adjust to 12, then with them disconnected, check it and it should be on 0

???

That's exactly what I decided to do. Just for grins, I reverse engineered.

I set it at 12, hoses connected. Then, I disconnected and plugged the hoses. It ends up at.....

+3! :D

I had trouble as well reading through this passage. The truck should be at 0TDC with the Vac advance on dizzy and other altitude vac line pinched or plugged. with all vac lines plugged in, it should be at 12BTDC.

It's in the IG (ignition) section of the 1985 Toyota Truck FSM. (Page Ig10)

There it says to do it with the vacuum hoses connected (but "cut"). As you see, it instructs you to turn it to 12 degrees advance, but then in bold it says 0 degrees TDC. The 84 manual says 5 degrees BTDC, and nothing about the 12 degree mark thing. Confusing.*

The instructions under engine tuneup (page EM9) give the same 0 degrees, but say to do with vacuum advancer off. And it says nothing about the 12 degree mark.

So. I remain confused. What do you usually do?

*I have both an 84 and 85 manual. The truck's an 84, but as far as I can tell, the vacuum hose system matches the 85, so I think it's a 85 top and 94 bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom