Time sensitive tire Q- 20” KO2s or Michelin Defenders? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In short- Do KO2s on 20” wheels make any sense?

I’m sure this is a super loaded question but I have an existing set of 20” KMC “Slide” wheels that came on my used 2016 LC200. I’m not crazy about their quality long term but they seem fine for now. Thing is- I want KO2s as a one tire quiver for commute, off-road and snow. I just got a sidewall flat that will require replacing at least 2 Michelin Defenders and I’m debating just switching to KO2s on these wheels.

Should I just get a set and put them on these 20s? Had planned to go with 18s eventually but this is time sensitive now and kind of forcing my hand.

Go with KO2s on larger than ideal wheels or fork out for 2 new Michelins and be stuck with those for a few years?

DA5D83FB-A282-4E47-8261-2F4711B22DD7.jpeg

The Michelin’s are a nice driving tire but but not tough enough for off road. KO2 is good for off road but you’ll have a very firm ride.
If you had KO2 you most likely would not be replacing 2 tires right now.

I have been reading here for a bit now. I have 20s on my LX. As a result I have watched for KO2s on 20’s. Several have done the BFG on 20s. I have (NOT BFG) 275/60/20 on my LX. They certainly have enough sidewall for some off-road work and a lot more than the stock 285/55. The OD is 33” and there’s no rub even when my suspension is set to low.

If I were you I’d either get on Craigslist and do 18’s now or commit to BFGs on 20’s for a while.

I was gungho for 18’s but am very satisfied with a taller tire on the 20’s for my needs; so much so I have ‘back burnered’ the 18’s. Other things like a 12.5gl tank, gears and a roof rack have become a priority. Sadly, my idea of off-road these days is something you’ve would’ve seen in a 1971 VW bug ad.

How will you use the truck? How often and what kinds of off road driving do you do?

The Defenders are a great highway tire and probably fine for occasional forest road use.

However if you want more comfort and confidence road then I would suggest going to an AT. I wouldn’t sweat the possibility of down sizing in the future. Don’t over think it. You can also sell your 20s. Just get out there and enjoy it.

BTW KO2s are a great choice but dont overlook new options:
  1. Fallen AT3W
  2. Cooper XLT
  3. General Grabber ATX
  4. Yokohama X-AT

I had Defenders on my F-150 and they were on the truck when I sold it. They make a M&S version of the defender. It is still not in the same league as the K02. Both my FJC and my 200 have K02s . I am about to replace the K02s on the 200 with another set of K02s. They have been great. My f-150 had 20's my 200 has 18's and is getting RW's later this week and 17's. I looked hard at the new Yokohama tires. I would go that route if I had not been offered a screaming deal on the K02s.

Awesome responses guys- really appreciate the input. At this point I’m leaning toward KO2s on the existing 20s but I still have 12 hours to vacillate...

I’m running KO2s on stock 20s on my LX. I was in the same boat - had to replace tires but I wasn’t ready to commit to new wheels. I have been running mine for about 1.5 years and haven’t regretted it even though I will soon replace them. They are tough tires.

They are a stiff ride, but honestly, anything on 20s is not going to ride as good as 18s.

A4B49FC7-D143-4A49-9EA1-A95DAFC7C5FE.jpeg

I’m also running KO2’s on the OEM 20” on my ‘13 LX although I’ll probably switch to 18” when I’m due for tires. I off road pretty hard: deep sand to dip net salmon, technical Jeep trails to get to hunting base camp and gold, upland high alpine for birds. I avoid technical rock climbing if at all possible.

The reasons I’ll switch: first pressure, even dropped to 20 psi I just don’t get much of a footprint in the soft sand. It’s OK and I make it but would do so much better with a taller side wall and bead locks. And as per the sidewall, I have cosmetic rock damage on all 5 rims (I do an5 tire rotation). It’s all cosmetic but with how often I “bump” my rims one of these days it won’t be.

I would ask myself: do you regularly air down to off road? If not then you are not doing anything nearly technical enough to need 18” rims and keep the 20”. But another thought is the 18” will ride softer. I run 18” tundra take offs on my winter set up and it’s a much softer ride.

I went with a set of used tundra wheels. Depending on where you are you might find the 18” with tires. I almost bought a couple sets until I found my RWs. I went Falkens in 285 70 17, very slight rub full lock in reverse. Not enough to bug and scuff.

In short- Do KO2s on 20” wheels make any sense?

I’m sure this is a super loaded question but I have an existing set of 20” KMC “Slide” wheels that came on my used 2016 LC200. I’m not crazy about their quality long term but they seem fine for now. Thing is- I want KO2s as a one tire quiver for commute, off-road and snow. I just got a sidewall flat that will require replacing at least 2 Michelin Defenders and I’m debating just switching to KO2s on these wheels.

Should I just get a set and put them on these 20s? Had planned to go with 18s eventually but this is time sensitive now and kind of forcing my hand.

Go with KO2s on larger than ideal wheels or fork out for 2 new Michelins and be stuck with those for a few years?

The Defender that you had sidewall flat on.......are they P-metric or LT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom