1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tie rod help -

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by tucker74, Feb 25, 2007.

1. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

So I did a birf job on my 40 this weekend and everything went great, until I got to what I thought would be the easy part. I bought a set of new "555" tie rod ends and everything just doesn't seem right. The cross-link ends (large dia) more or less just fell into my steering arms, if I tighten them down the cotter pins don't stab the nuts ... but if not they are loose? The ones I pulled seemed really seated, so I don't know what to think here. Secondly, the relay rod end will not seat into the cast piece in the cross link ... any trick to getting this seated. I buggered up two nuts trying to pull this in, but only have about 2 threads showing.

I should note I swapped knuckles to large pattern knuckles/steering arms during this project (don't know if that makes a difference or not). Tie rod kit is supposedly fits '69-'83 ...

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Tucker

2. teapot

teapot

The hole in the later (big bolt )arms is bigger than the earlier (small bolt)arms. I think S.O.R. sells a bushing kit that will work. If not you will need new rod ends and if thats the case get the heavy duty stuff. Luke at 4x4labs has them and a few others if you want to look around.

3. UNO_RACING

UNO_RACING

Stock tie rods are not the best. If you're replacing them you might as well go for the beefer ones...

Late,

UNO.

4. mr_manny

mr_manny

what's wrong w/stock 40 TREs?

I know larger stuff is available, but if your not high-steer...keep the stock stuff.

5. AATLAS1X

AATLAS1X

I had a simular issue and found that I installed them in the incorrect spot. I stared and pondered a bit as each new one had a twin used.

Best,

SW

6. grant5127

grant5127

all 40 TREs are the same.... if the holes are too large, the arms are from a 60...

7. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

Any info on these spacers? I see one for their hi-steer arms to make them fit 40/45/55s ... these them?

A little late for that.
    The two ends on the cross link are the only ones with the large dia to work here, can't be wrong. I tried others in the cast piece as well ...
    Could be, don't remember if they came from a late 40, 60 or mini :frown: How do I fix it?

Tucker