Ticking Noise on FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to run errands the other day and experienced a weird ticking noise before I got out of the neighborhood, so in case it was something important, I came home. It starts at around 30mph, frequency increases with speed and cannot be heard with the truck parked and increasing RPMs. We had a ton of leaves recently and I was hoping there was one stuck somewhere We pulled the two covers on the firewall and blew a ton of leaves out. Drove it again and ticking seems maybe a bit quieter, but still there, still starting around 30mph. Any ideas what else to look for? My husband asked if it ran hot at all, but I never got it far enough to get it up to temperature. Truck has about 253k miles on it and starts easily, runs great.

Could be a number of things. First determine if it is in the engine or suspension. If it's the engine it will do it regardless of moving with the exception of an exhaust leak which could be pronounced under a load and not as apparent just revving... if it only happens when rolling at higher speeds, it could be trans driveshafts even a speedo cable-and don't forget exhaust leak...If it happens when not moving, it could be a belt, valve out of adjustment, rod or crank bearings or timing gears. It could be a loose or damaged spark plug cable or injector. See what you can do to rule a few of these out and maybe post a video link if you can

Could be a number of things. First determine if it is in the engine or suspension. If it's the engine it will do it regardless of moving with the exception of an exhaust leak which could be pronounced under a load and not as apparent just revving... if it only happens when rolling at higher speeds, it could be trans driveshafts even a speedo cable-and don't forget exhaust leak...If it happens when not moving, it could be a belt, valve out of adjustment, rod or crank bearings or timing gears. It could be a loose or damaged spark plug cable or injector. See what you can do to rule a few of these out and maybe post a video link if you can
Thank you, this gives us a number of things to check. We had a custom exhaust put in last year, so I hope it's not leaking already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom