Throttle body and intake cleaning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing valve cover along with assorted hoses etc. the back side of the butterflies are nasty as is the intake manafold. Curious what I recommended to clean butterfly and intake?

9FE32C8F-FE4E-4807-B46C-2E5FB9939052.jpeg

CE478578-0AC9-4943-8F97-06423A07D134.jpeg

Look for a foaming de-carbon product. Often used to clean carbon off of valves, head, and pistons when doing a head gasket.

For the upper intake, just soak it in Simple Green and hot water for a few hours and scrub the passages with a bottle brush. Use guitar string to clear out the small vacuum passages that go through the intake.

Dumb question - do I need to take off the intake to clean it or can I clean it as it sits after I pulled the throttle body? Trying to avoid taking apart more than I have already taken apart - which is a ton.

Pull the upper intake if you are going to do it, if you are doing that I’d pull the lower as well. Replace the gaskets, you will need lower intake gasket to the engine and lower to upper intake gasket . Good time to do fuel filter and all the vacuum lines as well, do the vsv s on the vacuum line section too

Pull the upper intake if you are going to do it, if you are doing that I’d pull the lower as well. Replace the gaskets, you will need lower intake gasket to the engine and lower to upper intake gasket . Good time to do fuel filter and all the vacuum lines as well, do the vsv s on the vacuum line section too
Any chance anyone has replaced all vacuum lines, upper and lower intakes etc like I would like to do and has a comprehensive parts list from when you did the same?

Vacuum line 90999-92003 you’ll need prob 4 of these
Fuel filter 23300-69045
Intake gaskets I bought the head kit which includes these so don’t have the separate numbers
Vsv for the egr 136200-0230
If you can’t find the others let me know I’ll look them up, but any dealer should be able to tell you.
One other thought would be to do coolant bypass hoses 1,2, 3 these are the lines going to throttle body

For the vacuum line, I bought bulk vacuum hose from Carquest and ended up liking it more than the genuine Toyota stuff.

There's a Dorman VSV that works, but you have to shave down an indexing protrusion to make it fit. I used one several years ago intending for it to be temporary but I've had zero problems with it.

Last edited:
If you are pulling lower your also pulling the fuel injectors.

Add to the list o-rings and seats for injectors

Crush gaskets for the fuel line feeding fuel injector rail. Same ones for the fuel filter also.

6 new connector housings for the injectors as they probably break apart when you remove them.

Might as well do the pesky heater hose. And there are a few small coolant hoses going to manifold/ TB.

Once you go in……you go in deep😂

Man - this all started with a small oil leak on the valve cover and distributor and now it’s gone full tilt. Yes, I keep eyeballing the PHH now that it’s more visible and I’ll finally attack that with parts that I already have that I’ve been avoiding - breeze constant tension with silicone hose.

I'm about to do this same job and have acquired almost all the parts mentioned. I agree, if taking the throttle body and valve cover off you're just about there to the manifolds and fuel injectors. I'll be cleaning and resealing all of that. The only thing I don't have is the crush gaskets for the fuel filter and fuel rail. Assuming 3 are needed? Does anyone have the part #s for those?

I'm about to do this same job and have acquired almost all the parts mentioned. I agree, if taking the throttle body and valve cover off you're just about there to the manifolds and fuel injectors. I'll be cleaning and resealing all of that. The only thing I don't have is the crush gaskets for the fuel filter and fuel rail. Assuming 3 are needed? Does anyone have the part #s for those?
They come with the fuel filter

You need 6, they didn’t come with my filter.

4 for filter and 2 for line feeding rail

You need 6, they didn’t come with my filter.

4 for filter and 2 for line feeding rail
Awesome, thank you!

Carbon-Off for removing intake carbon deposits. It's not only carbon, it's oil too.
1670943098290.png

Ooooh, I’ll see if mine came with them.
Just confirmed, my fuel filter did come with the 4 crush washers, so I only need the two for the fuel rail line.

Man - this all started with a small oil leak on the valve cover and distributor and now it’s gone full tilt. Yes, I keep eyeballing the PHH now that it’s more visible and I’ll finally attack that with parts that I already have that I’ve been avoiding - breeze constant tension with silicone hose.
Don't do the silicone hose on the PHH.

Many examples of failure.

Get a piece of Toyota hose or the Gates Green Stripe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom