Thoughts on this Cruiser? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1978 FJ40 Listed for $13K; carb caught on fire and has been replaced. Has a salvage title. What are the community’s thoughts on this, understanding a paint job will be in order (assume $3-5K for the paint)? Worth pulling the trigger on or pass?

This is the original post:
1978 Toyota FJ40
58k original miles
4 speed manual
4x4
Engine starts quickly and runs strong
Clutch feels good, shifts gears without issue
Tires are ~80%
Has a rebuilt title from a carb fire. Carb has been replaced with a Weber. Original carb is in a box in the back. The hood was scorched causing the paint to crack, the fire didn’t damage the engine or make it into the cab.

Text is preferred, I can’t always answer phone calls.
499D195B-13C7-43F4-9158-DFE96A5DC3C8.jpeg
6994C4C7-5D77-4393-A1CE-9CB6C5EA35E0.jpeg

20DC83C8-1715-442B-9B04-47817485B584.jpeg
751DD2BC-C746-45DC-9838-0F45D4A5B273.jpeg

There is a butt for every seat. $13K in the current market sounds almost too good to be true. Is the paint original or a respray before it caught on fire? Have you driven it? Alaska……I am jealous!

That paint is small change. That rig looks excellent. Maybe he /she should list it on Bring a trailer and double their money. You're chance is here.

There is a butt for every seat. $13K in the current market sounds almost too good to be true. Is the paint original or a respray before it caught on fire? Have you driven it? Alaska……I am jealous!
The paint looks to be original. I haven’t driven it yet, just reached out to him earlier today for some better pics of the fire damage. Will prob take it for a drive soon.

Alaska was great; had an FJ40 up there but sold it when I transferred to WY back in 2008…and have regretted selling it ever since! In Utah now…five duty stations and a retirement later! I tried to figure out how to update my current location but lost interest!

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it!

That paint is small change. That rig looks excellent. Maybe he /she should list it on Bring a trailer and double their money. You're chance is here.
That’s kind of what I was thinking as well but was looking for other perspectives! Thanks!

Love the stripes. Doubt it's been resprayed. Those wheels suck. Bezel is up side down.
Agreed on the wheels…and forgive my ignorance, but what bezel are you referring to?

Curious with the current market on the 40 series doubt a carburetor fire would total a vehicle. If this were mine I would have paid for the repairs myself, kept a good title then sold it more with a clean title. Had that happen many years ago to my 68 and never even thought about making an insurance claim. Would be sure if the fire is the real reason for the salvage title.

Mine had a K&N oil coated filter and carb back fired. Good reason for a stock carb and air cleaner. Mine had a Holley on it at the time.

I see lots of hidden rust, and no way that carb fire caused a salvage title? Lets see some undercarriage shots? Frame, rear sil, door bottoms? Easy to get excited about a rig thats priced well under market, until you really get a good look.

I’d look closely to see what else was damaged in the fire and not fixed well; hoses, electrical, etc. how long ago was the fire and was the fire the reason for the salvage title? I wouldn’t be surprised if it was, depending how long ago. I had a 76 FJ40 15 years ago the got t boned by a Honda. Bent the rear wheel and passenger rocker panel and that’s it. Insurance totaled it because no one wanted to do metal repairs and quoted insane prices. I was broke and early 20’s so a check for $7000 and a salvage title was great news! New wheel and pushed the rocker out. Curious if it’s still around WA: had a Chevy 396 and cruiser 4 speed.
Anyhow, there’s some rust but if there’s not much structural rust, it runs and is complete, I don’t think you’d be going wrong at that price. As said, I’d try and get it around $10k.

Curious with the current market on the 40 series doubt a carburetor fire would total a vehicle. If this were mine I would have paid for the repairs myself, kept a good title then sold it more with a clean title. Had that happen many years ago to my 68 and never even thought about making an insurance claim. Would be sure if the fire is the real reason for the salvage title.

Mine had a K&N oil coated filter and carb back fired. Good reason for a stock carb and air cleaner. Mine had a Holley on it at the time.
Great point; thank you!

I see lots of hidden rust, and no way that carb fire caused a salvage title? Lets see some undercarriage shots? Frame, rear sil, door bottoms? Easy to get excited about a rig thats priced well under market, until you really get a good look.
I’ve asked for additional pics, waiting to receive them. Will certainly check it out!

I’d look closely to see what else was damaged in the fire and not fixed well; hoses, electrical, etc. how long ago was the fire and was the fire the reason for the salvage title? I wouldn’t be surprised if it was, depending how long ago. I had a 76 FJ40 15 years ago the got t boned by a Honda. Bent the rear wheel and passenger rocker panel and that’s it. Insurance totaled it because no one wanted to do metal repairs and quoted insane prices. I was broke and early 20’s so a check for $7000 and a salvage title was great news! New wheel and pushed the rocker out. Curious if it’s still around WA: had a Chevy 396 and cruiser 4 speed.
Anyhow, there’s some rust but if there’s not much structural rust, it runs and is complete, I don’t think you’d be going wrong at that price. As said, I’d try and get it around $10k.
Based off the rust level on what is called “cracked paint” I suspect the fire was not very recent. From the additional pics he has already sent, I see some scorching on wires and hoses near the carb. I appreciate the example you provide…good to know sometimes vehicles get “totaled” that aren’t necessarily dead in the water.

About insurance companies and salvage titles: As you know, insurance companies use a formula for determining when to declare vehicle a total loss. Roughly speaking when the cost of repairs approaches about 80% of the Blue Book value, the insurance company will elect to total the vehicle. Then the insurance company will extend an offer based upon either 1) if the insurance company keeps the vehicle; or 2) if you decide to keep the vehicle in which case they will deduct the "salvage" amount from the total loss payout. They then notify the Department of Motor Vehicles and that is when a salvage title is issued. On occasion, I've seen where the insurance company never follows through with the last step and thus a salvage title is never issued. In such cases a vehicle can be "totaled" on more than one occasion.

Something else is wrong on the front, the bezel is upside down but the TOYOTA is already to high, it should be centered on the lites ? Indicates the entire front was disassembled or at least the bib. What caused the carb fire is in my mind ? Rarely hear of that and something else was wrong, carbs don't just burst into flames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom