Thoughts on this 95? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, thank you to the community for sharing such great knowledge. This is all new to me as I recently got addicted to the land cruisers, however don’t have one yet! Trying to do as much research as possible. So thank you.
Here’s a local listing in that I thought looked decent. Didn’t share too much info on the ad, however it appears to have front and rear lockers. Question on that, if it has front and rear lockers, is it considered triple locked? I understand the concept but is it always the case to be triple locked with front and rear? Thank you.
I am looking for a 95-97 triple locked, just like everyone else?
i would love to hear thoughts on this vehicle with the info given, and possibly questions to ask the seller so I don’t sound too green. Thank you.

670A6131-105B-4C18-880F-57F31D9A7965.png

D3353149-D0AD-41AD-BE82-F2EB09A02FDC.jpeg

08F5EF1B-42CD-47B6-BF93-0E20DA2139B5.jpeg

052BACAF-7A71-4525-B112-7BCE5DCE8260.jpeg

3943210A-A809-413D-9722-7D36DA369EE5.jpeg

So people say that 80s are “triple locked” because some are equipt with front, rear, and all have center lockers. The front/ rear are only locked when you engage them with the switch. The center is only “locked” when it is in low, unless you add in a switch for it and do the mod. When the center differential is unlocked, the 80 is considered to be all wheel drive and when the center differential is locked in low it is considered 4 wheel drive. This is what differentiates a Jeep that’s 4 wheel drive from a Subaru that is all wheel drive. There’s a million videos that probably explain it better🤷🏽‍♀️ And if I’m being honest, unless you have dreams of really wheeling the 80 I would save your money and get an unlocked one. Put the money towards a lift and tires and when you’re ready for lockers you’re probably ganna wanna regear anyway.

So people say that 80s are “triple locked” because some are equipt with front, rear, and all have center lockers. The front/ rear are only locked when you engage them with the switch. The center is only “locked” when it is in low, unless you add in a switch for it and do the mod. When the center differential is unlocked, the 80 is considered to be all wheel drive and when the center differential is locked in low it is considered 4 wheel drive. This is what differentiates a Jeep that’s 4 wheel drive from a Subaru that is all wheel drive. There’s a million videos that probably explain it better🤷🏽‍♀️ And if I’m being honest, unless you have dreams of really wheeling the 80 I would save your money and get an unlocked one. Put the money towards a lift and tires and when you’re ready for lockers you’re probably ganna wanna regear anyway.

great advice. Thank you very much.
I want to be able to take the LC to places like Moab. Not looking to do any crazy crawling. I know the lockers would definitely be helpful, but are they really a necessity? I guess you shined some light on some wants vs needs. I appreciate the advice. I’ll look into unlocked as well.

Too learn about the truck and buying it, look at this thread.

Hard to give much advice when really no info provided to go off of but from the pics it looks clean. Seeing a Toyota battery in a 25 yr old truck is a good sign. Looks stock so another plus. The only thing I see that is worn is that throttle cable. Maybe heater valve but hard to see from a screen shot of a CL ad. No big deal. I would ask if any records and if the power steering pump, and master cylinder were OEM parts or aftermarket. looks like a owner that took to dealer. Spark plug wires look OEM..... of course could be original 95 too but the pvc hoses look newish and dizzy too and seem to be OEM. Price?

Ditch the front and rear guards if you grab it

Wheels look to have been chromed, chrome painted, or ?? polished aluminum. Originally the aluminum wheels had a milled finished with the dished areas painted, all clear coated.

Chrome were available as well

Wheels look to have been chromed, chrome painted, or ?? polished aluminum. Originally the aluminum wheels had a milled finished with the dished areas painted, all clear coated.

Could of been a dealer upgrade. We have seen both 80 and 450 wheels in chrome on several rigs.

Look at the faq and if you can get one with factory lockers, definitely get it.
Verify it actually has the lockers on the axles when you look at it.
It's an old suv, if you find one in great shape, I would just get it and not waste time on being picky.
JMO

Hard to give much advice when really no info provided to go off of but from the pics it looks clean. Seeing a Toyota battery in a 25 yr old truck is a good sign. Looks stock so another plus. The only thing I see that is worn is that throttle cable. Maybe heater valve but hard to see from a screen shot of a CL ad. No big deal. I would ask if any records and if the power steering pump, and master cylinder were OEM parts or aftermarket. looks like a owner that took to dealer. Spark plug wires look OEM..... of course could be original 95 too but the pvc hoses look newish and dizzy too and seem to be OEM. Price?

Ditch the front and rear guards if you grab it
This is AWESOME advice. Thank you. I appreciate your input.
11,500 asking price.
The ad isn’t informative but definitely having a great eye for detail can go a long way, and I appreciate sharing your knowledge.

Look at the faq and if you can get one with factory lockers, definitely get it.
Verify it actually has the lockers on the axles when you look at it.
It's an old suv, if you find one in great shape, I would just get it and not waste time on being picky.
JMO
Yeah, I can tell and I’m sure you’ve seen in your experience that they are getting harder to find. Definitely not trying to be picky

Last edited:
Looks like a solid truck and that’s a fair price. Front bumper looks to have been replaced/painted. Could be worth an inquiry of any accidents

read up here as well if you haven’t. Not sure why it didn’t attach earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom