Thoughts on the T'eyes CC3 system (in-dash Android tablet to replace our crappy old nav screen) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you do some searching on here you'll find lots of info on the Grom & Phoenix systems.
My understanding is the Grom has Apple CarPlay & Android Auto as it's main benefit.
The Phoenix is similar to this T'eyes system, & the advantage of these Android "tablets" is that they can download & run any app you want on their own (they do need data from your phone as a hotspot or from a SIM card). So, you don't need to "use your phone" to run music or whatever through your GX. I guess it depends what you mean by "sync"...these Android systems do have Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, but I don't use it because of the above capabilities, so I can't comment on how well it interfaces.
Grom does that too. Most of us iPhone users don’t talk about it because we don’t want anything to do with Android software.

Good post, I got my 128gb head unit with the 360 camera last month. Waited a few weeks to finally get a shop to install it (I know basic head unit install but not when I have tons of accessories on it)... I got a shop to install it last Saturday but the shop (since there are no instructions on install) couldn't get my 360 cameras and HVAC to work. The buttons don't respond when trying to turn on the AC. Pairing to the phone to use Carplay works great but I noticed sometimes it won't pair if I have my iPhone already turned on. I have to turn it off in order for the pair to quickly re-establish itself.

But this is not why I'm writing this feedback, screen is great and features/apps like Spotify work like a charm. As the OP said, when I had my OEM nav unit, I easily used my phone to do everything, I used Bluetooth FM transmitter though instead of aux. OEM sound was ok and my sound now is super loud at just Volume 2! I need to fix that because it's tooooo loud.

My real gripe is I am thinking of switching it back to OEM. The main reason is because my AC controls don't work and the 360 cameras don't work... I am hoping it's installer error so I am taking it to another shop on Friday. But if they can't fix it, the unit is useless to me because I need my backup camera to work again (I can delete the other cams) and it's starting to get hot in Cali so I need my AC to work!

If anyone knows anyone that has gotten their Teyes cc3 to work well and you live in the Los Angeles area, please let me know!

P.S: I got this deal through a group buy on FB. Price is excellent, but if it doesn't work and you pay a shop labor... you can easily lose out as I have, I haven't driven it for the past week because of no AC. Just something to think about...

@agntjay818 It seems like the unit comes with more cables than you need. Someone went through a process and figured out what cable to plug in for their year. Even though other cables fit, they actually turned off the AC when more than the bare minimum required cables plugged in. Seems to be dependent on year. May be worth doing the youtube brain damage and seeing if there is year specific info out there for you.

@agntjay818 It seems like the unit comes with more cables than you need. Someone went through a process and figured out what cable to plug in for their year. Even though other cables fit, they actually turned off the AC when more than the bare minimum required cables plugged in. Seems to be dependent on year. May be worth doing the youtube brain damage and seeing if there is year specific info out there for you.
Thanks! I did see the video about the 5 specific cables that need to be plugged in, mine has 6 after the stereo shop worked on it.. my level of expertise is 3 out of 10 when it comes to stereos… but good to know that an extra cable (even if it fits) could make the AC stop working.

Thanks! I did see the video about the 5 specific cables that need to be plugged in, mine has 6 after the stereo shop worked on it.. my level of expertise is 3 out of 10 when it comes to stereos… but good to know that an extra cable (even if it fits) could make the AC stop working.
A second stereo shop checked my connections.. he couldn’t get it to work either.. here is what he saw..

94CA4935-7862-4957-A11F-399B4B0D4C24.jpeg

4C98AC09-08C9-4E75-9487-30D39079DF84.jpeg

26712E01-C895-4917-9C3F-AB4FC4F74389.jpeg

My advice? Remove it and throw it in the trash.

There is no good option for stereos on a nav model. Grom is best bet and it’s still trash.

^^someone's spicy...to each their own

it gets ya a better screen, yes there's compromises on HVAC, but worth in compared to attempting the non-nav conversion. Grom if you're pre '07, you're still stuck with a crappy resolution screen.

My advice? Remove it and throw it in the trash.

There is no good option for stereos on a nav model. Grom is best bet and it’s still trash.
I may have the shop revert back to oem in a few mins. Was hoping this would work out but it’s not n miss at this point.

I can say the Grom unit works. It doesn't work great, but it does work. I basically only use it for Carplay.

I had a "Seicane" unit I bought for my Tundra, reminds me of the Teyes (full replacement, cheap, very poorly built) I attempted install once, it was so bad it is still sitting on my shelf 2 years later.

I may have the shop revert back to oem in a few mins. Was hoping this would work out but it’s not n miss at this point.
You should contact Teyes customer service. I also believe there’s 2 connectors that are easily swapped and sometimes people connect the wrong one. GXOR group on Facebook will give you much better insight - a TON of guys on there have Teyes and like them. I wouldn’t rip it out just yet.

What year is your GX? There are non-nav wiring harness extensions for the climate controls. If you can find the climate controls, a conversion to non nav is easy and then you can put any head unit you want. That’s what I’m doing, with the new Joying 9”.

You should contact Teyes customer service. I also believe there’s 2 connectors that are easily swapped and sometimes people connect the wrong one. GXOR group on Facebook will give you much better insight - a TON of guys on there have Teyes and like them. I wouldn’t rip it out just yet.

What year is your GX? There are non-nav wiring harness extensions for the climate controls. If you can find the climate controls, a conversion to non nav is easy and then you can put any head unit you want. That’s what I’m doing, with the new Joying 9”.
Ya I was debating on leaving it, my issue is I’m not quite the one doing the install (i just have basic knowledge of putting in a simple alpine head unit), so right now the more I leave it at the shop for them to troubleshoot with me, it’s costing me labor cost. Wished I had the skills and probably would be more patient if there were instructions for plug n play.

Dan did tell me about these two connectors but I told the shop and they couldn’t get it either.

I have a 2004 gx 470 with Navi and mark levingson system.

Ya I was debating on leaving it, my issue is I’m not quite the one doing the install (i just have basic knowledge of putting in a simple alpine head unit), so right now the more I leave it at the shop for them to troubleshoot with me, it’s costing me labor cost. Wished I had the skills and probably would be more patient if there were instructions for plug n play.

Dan did tell me about these two connectors but I told the shop and they couldn’t get it either.

I have a 2004 gx 470 with Navi and mark levingson system.
I have the same model year with the Mark Levinson navi system and the same Teyes unit and have no issues with my HVAC. Seems to work great. Did you make sure that you set your CAN settings correctly on the unit's system settings?

Have you tried contacting Teyes customer support to see if they can help you and the shop sort it out? Its possible the unit is somehow bad. Do you know if the CANbus adapter was installed? Do your steering wheel controls work?

Check out this Reddit thread. Some people had the exact same issues as you and there may be some clues to get your setup sorted out:

Update; I finally got around to doing the firmware update, which involves downloading the T'eyes file onto a memory stick & plugging it into the USB cord from the back of the unit (I still don't understand why this can't be over the air, since the unit gets data from my phone). It has solved some of the glitchyness. There are still occasional issues with Spotify crashing, but not as bad as before. Additionally, I think it has solved the issue where I'd start the GX up & have no sound...then if I turned it off & started up again, everything would work fine.

I'm still on the fence about whether I'd still do this if I could go back...I probly wouldn't...but now that I've worked out the glitches, it does, at least, function pretty well at this point. Essentially, with the money plus the PITA to get it functional, I think there's still to many negatives to make it worthwhile for me.

*I do have the front camera 95% ready, so that will be another benefit this unit will give.

Just completed the Teyes CC3 128 GB install on my 05 nav. It sounds way better than the ML system. I was using the Yatour bluetooth previously with the ML system.
I am still getting used to it, but here are some things to look out for:
  • I was not able to get both amps to work at the same time, no front speaker, factory sub, or 3rd row speakers. Unplugged the factory amp to get my aftermarket stuff to work.
  • They give you way too many plugs for the install...
  • I also ordered the Android auto/apple carpay unit, could not get it to work.. this caused be a lot of frustration.
  • Given that I could not get the carplay unit to work, I ordered a sim card for the unit. (ATT US) I could not get the sim to work. After a couple of hours of dealing with ATT customer care, it was determined that the Teyes andoid units were "Grandfatherd" as 3g units. It does work with 4 and 5g so this was frustrating. But given that ATT is no longer suporting 3g, wireless does not work with Teyes units for ATT.
  • I decided to unplug the carplay unit, and amazingly the android auto works seemlessly with my android phone s20.
  • When unplugging the old deck, they tell you to turn the volume all the way up prior to installing the Teyes unit. With my amp at ~half gain, I can't turn the volume up past 12 due to it being too load. I would set the volume to half way.
  • When running Sirius via andoid auto, I have to open it on the phone for it to work. Once I open the app on phone, the Teyes unit is fine.
  • I have not found a volume button on the screen, the steering wheel interface works awesome.
Overall, I am way happier with the system now.
  • Can use phone as hotspot and the Teyes syncs up fine.
  • Wifi works good, can sync up from in front of my house
  • Nice to be able to load music from the usb and store on the device, as well as play from a flash drive
  • Spotify works great.
  • The EQ gives you a lot of flexibility to change sounds.
  • looking forward to setting up the rear camera and a front facing soon.
  • Have had no issues with the Hvac system... knock on wood.

I finally got my front cam installed...just like everything, it took more work than expected, but I think it'll really help spot obstacles over our big hood while off-roading!
I installed my cam in the Lexus L on a simple foam block that I cut to get the right angle to see over the bumper.
Then, I had some difficulties getting it to display properly in the screen, so I contacted the T'eyes guy I bought from in Australia. Here was his secret, so you don't have to dig around like me:
1) Go to Factory Settings
2) He told me to use code 168...it seems like maybe it's that same code for all these units
3) Flip the toggle on Front Cam
4) The app will automatically show up
5) In the app you can easily flip the image, if needed

Here's some pics of my installation!

GX1.jpg

GX2.jpg

GX3.jpg

I feel like all these cameras, trail apps and other gadgets are just small steps toward the inevitible; "Sit in my basement and drive an un-manned offroad drone". If there is an obstacle, I simply get out and look at it.

Do these have standalone GPS so you could navigate without having it connected to your phone? Their website doesn't make this clear.
They can run any app (Waze, Gaia GPS, Spotify, etc.), but they need data either from your phone (as a hotspot) or a SIM card with its own plan (plugged into the unit).

They can run any app (Waze, Gaia GPS, Spotify, etc.), but they need data either from your phone (as a hotspot) or a SIM card with its own plan (plugged into the unit).
Gotcha that is what I was asking - many tablets at least don't require a data plan to use the GPS so I was wondering.

Gotcha that is what I was asking - many tablets at least don't require a data plan to use the GPS so I was wondering.

GPS technically works and you download full map regions on your google maps or waze. through wifi then drive around disconnected with only GPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom