Thoughts on Smittybilt winches? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

So I was going to get the lower end Warn VR10, because its a Warn. Then was talked into the waterproof Smittybilt 10K winch by the 4WP sales rep (they own Smitty). Basically the logic is I get a full, no hassle warranty, and "essentially the same" winch or better, unless I stepped up to the very expensive Zeon line. The lower end Warns are no better than Smitty, according to him.

I will not use this much. Maybe a few times lifetime, likely a couple times a year max. To me, this isn't the piece to really splurge on ($600 vs $1800) as I'm not a "serious" off-roader.

Thoughts? I haven't picked it up yet, so its not too late.

I have the Smittybilt 10K, and it pulls just fine (only used it 2x in 6 months though). It came on the truck, or I probably would have had the same internal dilemma as you, with the same pros and cons.

It'd be a hassle to change out if it broke, but even at that price it's 3 winches vs 1. As long as the tool is properly cared for, I find it hard to believe that it would take 3 Smittybilts to live up to 1 Warn.

I just bought a 9500lb Smittybuilt. With the synthetic line and aluminum fairlead, I was at $307 with tax. Throw in $100 my dad threw in at the counter as part of a Christmas gift and it was a no brainer.

I can't speak to anything other than the price point as of now. It just went in yesterday. Would be interested in hearing more from long-term owners.

I just bought a 9500lb Smittybuilt. With the synthetic line and aluminum fairlead, I was at $307 with tax. Throw in $100 my dad threw in at the counter as part of a Christmas gift and it was a no brainer.

I can't speak to anything other than the price point as of now. It just went in yesterday. Would be interested in hearing more from long-term owners.

Did you just get that bumper too? My rig is going to look almost identical.

How hard was the install?

Just installed both, yes. Install was easy enough. The bumper did require a little drill bit finessing for some holes that didn't line up perfectly or for using larger hardware to replace stuff that wasn't in the kit. I did have to clock both the clutch and the motor on the winch to mount it in the bumper.

TBD. On the bumper would be great but I don't think there's enough real estate there while still having good access to the clutch lever. I've gotta get it up and play around with it though. I was just focused on getting it all on the truck before I leave VA to go home on Saturday.

I've run a Smitty built X20 10k and a 12k in two different vehicles. The 12k I bought when the X20 was initially released and ended up getting an upgraded control box and remote as t they worked through some of the bugs. I just recently installed a 10k in my LX build.

I've been very happy with each application I have run it in. They both came with the synthetic line and aluminum fairlead, I always upgraded the hook to a Factor55 unit.

IMG_9472.JPG

Do you have a link to that price with synthetic line? Thanks!

It was a black Friday deal through 4 wheel
parts. Wasn't advertised this week in the store but I found the same deal with free shipping from quadratech online and 4wp was able to see the promo price behind the counter and matched it.

It's no longer advertised. I just happened to know they had a sale for black Friday and they matched it. It doesn't look like the price from quadratech is the same anymore either. It may take some shmoozing at a 4WP to get the price now. They do still advertise $299 for the same winch with cable instead of synthetic.

Edit, I'm an idiot. The winch with synthetic line was $388 on sale. The $307 price I mentioned was after a $100 contribution from my dad .I apologize for the confusion.

Don't play with our emotions bro :(

It's no longer advertised. I just happened to know they had a sale for black Friday and they matched it. It doesn't look like the price from quadratech is the same anymore either. It may take some shmoozing at a 4WP to get the price now. They do still advertise $299 for the same winch with cable instead of synthetic.

Edit, I'm an idiot. The winch with synthetic line was $388 on sale. The $307 price I mentioned was after a $100 contribution from my dad .I apologize for the confusion.

Bought the 9.5 smittybuilt couple of black fridays ago for $299 with synthetic line and fairlead. Don't see how i could go wrong. Works great on 40. IF i was using a winch multiple times a week then 5 times price increase to a Warn top of the line could be justified but for the small amount of times i use it i am happy. Have a 10k warn on a 60 and a 12.5k t-max that was abused and rebuilt. Have probably used it the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom