Thoughts on OME BP-51 for 2013 TLC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any thoughts on the OME BP-51 for a 2013 TLC?
Does it worth the price? What other alternatives are out there to balance on pavement comfort with off pavement performance? Thx!

This is probably the most discussed aftermarket suspension on this forum. Literally dozens of hours of reading is available.
Start searching. You’ll get a lot more in-depth discussion than simple answers to your questions.

Any thoughts on the OME BP-51 for a 2013 TLC?
Does it worth the price? What other alternatives are out there to balance on pavement comfort with off pavement performance? Thx!

I can tell you I have been pretty frustrated with my BP-51 setup, and those yoo-hoo's over at Toy-tec. I'm also driving a 2013.

I had them on a '16.

The best mod I did on that truck was the 33' AT tires. After I had them installed I almost cancelled my lift, and I wish I had.

There are other options that have been discussed ad nauseam.

Love mine, Full kit with OME UCA installed by MULE expedition outfitters in Issaquah WA. Couldn't be happier even at the high price.

This is one of those topics like tires where people have strongly held opinions, so I suspect you're going to get feedback across the board.

Suspension was a big ticket purchase for me, so I did a bunch of research and talked with as many people as I could (I'd encourage you to do the same).

It seems like there are a few price point tiers for 200 aftermarket suspensions: 1 - OME Nitrocharger, Ironman, Tough Dog and the like; 2 - Stage 1 Icon, OME BP-51, King 2.5 and the like; 3 - higher stage Icons, King 3.0, and the like.

I started wanting a solution in the tier 1 price range, but eventually talked myself up into the next tier.

It sounds like you've self selected into the second price tier. - roughly $2,300 or so in parts plus installation costs and alignment.

I'd leave out consideration of installation since it is generally the same regardless of what you go with (and can be as low as $0 for those of us that do our own work). Likewise alignment costs are highly variable, but for a given installation about the same. You might add in another $650+ if you go over 2" or so and need aftermarket Upper Control Arms to get the alignment in a good range.

I came across a lot of people that reported quality problems with the OME BP-51 and Icons, so that steered me away from them. I continue to see reports of BP-51 issues (as recently as this week on 'mud).

I never found anything negative said about Kings (not to say that it doesn't exist), except for people that didn't have them and were speaking hypothetically (complaints about maintenance intervals since the published intervals are based on hard service use, comments about how they are a "race" shock and not suitable for the road, false criticisms about price point). My advice is to take that kind of feedback with a grain of salt, when someone hasn't ever owned the product. Do your own research and validate assertions.

What pushed me over the edge was the level of customer service I received from Ben at Filthy motorsports (and without getting into details, other vendors not being terribly interested in providing consultative advice).

In my opinion, suspension is not a one size fits all proposition, so buying off the rack can result in variable outcomes. I feel good knowing that I have a person and company that recommended a setup exactly for me and my specific uses, and stand behind them. Working with someone who has done many many setups with the suspension and can offer a vast track record based on real world experience was invaluable.

I couldn't possibly be happier with my Kings. Even my wife insisted that I put them on our latest 200, which says a lot to me. They're head and shoulders better than anything else I've ever run.

What pushed me over the edge was the level of customer service I received from Ben at Filthy motorsports (and without getting into details, other vendors not being terribly interested in providing consultative advice).

In my opinion, suspension is not a one size fits all proposition, so buying off the rack can result in variable outcomes. I feel good knowing that I have a person and company that recommended a setup exactly for me and my specific uses, and stand behind them. Working with someone who has done many many setups with the suspension and can offer a vast track record based on real world experience was invaluable.

I couldn't possibly be happier with my Kings. Even my wife insisted that I put them on our latest 200, which says a lot to me. They're head and shoulders better than anything else I've ever run.
This x1000. Ive made numerous mistakes and slogged through multiple different manufacturers. Dollar for dollar, the best bang for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom