This is the story of my LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20190731_215943.jpg

HOW IT ALL BEGAN?
--------------------------------------
Not that anyone cares, but I thought I would put it out there for all those newbies looking to get one of their own LX570, a used one.

It all started on one evening in April 2019 during my evening YouTube surf time doing my treadmill ritual. My YouTube feed showed a Clip of how this guy @HooviesGarage bought the cheapest LC of all time for $2100 and his rave about how great it was... Got curious and watched it and the following video on he modified it with snorkel and all that ..and how great it is even after 275k miles.... Then to TFL channel on how they modded their $28k 2008 LC with a ton of miles on it. I got hooked and I wanted to find out the greatness of the LC/LX and it's legend.

Till then I was/still am a happy owner of 2015 Acura MDX (bought new) and 2004 Lexus ES330 (bought used on 2007) While I am a fan of MDX and but not so much of my ES330. ES lacked responsiveness in acceleration and it's sloppy handling. While it is incredibly quiet and offered smooth ride, it is always a let down. In fact it made me look outside Lexus brand when the time came to replace my totalled Honda Pilot and then ended up with Acura MDX. I test drove 2015 Toyota Highlander but did not like it. MDX was great, responsive, quiet and smooth ride like my ES with supportive seating. So I thought I am all set with my vehicle choices....

But not really...until this May 2019. I started researching on LC/LX. New ones are definitely out of my range. So I thought let me look at used ones, may be a good LX470 with decent mileage. I started watching more videos, more internet research. Initially I thought I would go for an LX470 under 15-20k. Started researching at Autotrader, Carfax, Edmunds and other places. Came across IH8MUD in the process. There... you... Go... I believe this place makes you come back again and again and finally makes you own one...LC/X.. it's the forum and support here enables you so much so that you found another friend group suddenly emerge out of nowhere....

My intentions go from pre-2006 LX470 to 2006/2007 LX since it became a 5-speed transmission. I test drove a 2006 LX at a used car dealer and did not it much. My teenage son was with me and he did not like it at all with the dated looks of it and the used car smell... While the ride was floaty, there was no AUX and hence no way to connect my phone... And the thing was not cheap either at 18k except that it had 120k miles and no accidents. The same dealer had a 2008 LX570 looked nice but the dealer was asking 29k. its out of my range....

i continue coming back to MUD forum and keep watching all those offroading/wheeling videos that made me look towards 200 series. MUD members talking about how nice 200 series compared to 100 series... So I started looking for 200 series LC/X. All the good and used LCs were already taken. Even the ones out there were at 175k miles with asking price of $27k upwards. I am still not that comfortable to shell that much for so many miles. My previous used car purchase was at 34k miles and I paid $24k.

Now the choices are getting narrowed to those few available used LXs with limited miles. Living in Chicago, I do not want to buy a car out of town. I am not a fan of dealers dealings. I started looking locally despite the advice of so many here to look at one from a rust free zone.

Then I found a local listing on Craigslist for the 2009 LX with 120k miles at an asking price of $29.9k. This guy happened to live in my town and two streets away. Kept in great condition. The other two cars he had in his garage were late model LXs. I know this guy knows his cars. But he did not budget on the price as it is at least 4k more than I am willing to part with.

So I started test driving the LX at dealership and I started liking LX even more. when I drobe my MDX, it started feeling less powerful. While it's cross over, it does not have tall stance like an LX...

i continued my search for 3 more weeks. In the meantime I went to Denver for a business trip. I like to travel and the photography. So I stayed over the weekend and drove the Rocky Mountain National Park, Ridge trail road, fell in love with the place. Thought I should come back here in my own LX, camp here, drive along River Trail road ..so my desire to own an LX crystalized and that means I am getting closer to buy one.....

the advice is otherwise... Wait and your patience will be rewarded with a better deal... But desire always wins... if you were me.

I returned home and continue d my research. The private seller in my neighborhood emails me asking whether I am still in the market. Now I know he wants to sell his car. I ran the Carfax report and he can't get more than $20k as a trade in. My offer was greater than Carfax retail... Finally get came down (or should I say, I bit into my desire and paid 1k more than the retail price)?

i asked my wife see and test drive the car. She thought it looked new and better than our 4 year old MDX. That's a good sign right? The vehicle was garage kept, maintained well, but there was one accident in 2010. Seller said it was a minor rear end and he claimed and did not consider it as an accident. I was skeptical.

I took it to Local Dealer for a multi point inspection (CPO check list) and body inspection. the car passed with no major issues. Alignment was the only issue that I was told of. Nothing much left for me to negotiate.

Boom, I bought my first LX570!

So within 3 months of coming on to IH8MUD forum , I became a proud owner of LX570....

Story doesn't stop there....it continues... In my next post... What I did after acquiring it...if anyone interested...

Last edited:
Congrats! Others here have similar stories. I personally was hunting for a TLC as well, but couldn't find one within 500 miles to even drive—and they were 10-15% more expensive. I did a bunch of research and asking dumb questions here to alleviate my fears of the AHC boogie man. I picked up an '08 with < 100K miles 2 years ago. No regrets.

Congrats! Others here have similar stories. I personally was hunting for a TLC as well, but couldn't find one within 500 miles to even drive—and they were 10-15% more expensive. I did a bunch of research and asking dumb questions here to alleviate my fears of the AHC boogie man. I picked up an '08 with < 100K miles 2 years ago. No regrets.

So who all end up here (on this forum) end up with or have similar stories..haa! No wonder...

THE MODS I MADE (not many...with respect to many here):

Now that I have my own LX570, I wanted to baseline it. Started with 120k mile service. My LX came with winter tires, so I wanted to have all season tires as I don't want to drive in winter tires all year round. Looked at Bridgestone s and Michelin s. What the heck this is my opportunity to change wheels as well... On eBay I came across a set of brand new 18 inch wheels (with Michelin LTX AT/2s) from Tundra TRD Pro take offs. But they came with Toyota logos Wheel caps. So I ordered TRD wheel caps.

The story does not end there... with new wheels, TPMS sensors started throwing errors. So it's time to get a new set of TPMS sensors. My advice, get them from EBay or Amazon, where you could get OEM ones for $20-25 each and get them installed at Costco. They charge $14 per tire. Now they are installed.

Now I go on a 300 mile drive and come back to see my LX hood chipped at 50+ places... So I ordered Dr. ColorChip kit to mask them..... Yet to try it out... Should i get a hood protector or not? That's for another day!

So what about the driving experience? The great part of owning an LX. It drives like a dream... Can't wait to take it out for a long drive... I have put 1600 miles in a months time just driving around town. I feel I am driving a muscle car... Never short and f breath...

i like the engine growl...when it starts ...like everyone else... When I show it off to friends, they don't believe it's 10 year old car. That will make you proud and feel good about your decision!

Only advice I have, ignore the MPG display in dash... and enjoy the ride....

I would love to hear your stories..... Share them..

In the next post, I would like talk about all the advice I received from the MUD folks!

Last edited:
Enjoy your new LX. I have a similar story but my love affair started in the 80’s in high school with the FJ40’s and FJ60’s. I recently moved to Chicago from N California and wanted something substantial for driving in the snow. I started stalking 80’s then 100’s and finally ended up with a 2011 LX570 I found in Texas. I absolutely love it. My only issues were I wanted bright modern headlights and better brakes. A set of Hikari LED bulbs fixed the night lighting and a set of StopTech/TRD pads fixed the brakes. I couldn’t be happier. (Except maybe for better gas mileage or range.)
Welcome to the family.

Since you asked for stories, I'll share mine.

I've been a car guy for quite some time, and I've had quite a few different cars. I was at a stoplight, and saw an 80 series landcruiser with a swing out tire carrier that was lightly modified. I thought to myself 'What's the deal with landcruisers?', and started researching them.

I drove five Wranglers in a row - so I was very familiar with 4wd / offroad, and I fell in love with the idea of getting back into an offroad capable vehicle that was actually reliable.

Fast forward a year or two, and I spot an 80 series parked at a lawnmower repair shop. A year later it was still there, so I stopped in. Long story short, I bought it really cheap - and that began my first step down the landcruiser path.

I daily drove the 80 series for a few years, because my 'expensive' cars were sports cars. I got into automobile racing, and I was driving an S2000 at the time.

My wife and I decided to start a family, so I decided that daily driving a vehicle from 1991 wasn't an optimal family hauler. Considering my S2000 wouldn't look good with a child seat, I sold it and bought an 07 100 series LX with the night vision. I drove that for a few years, and it was eventually taken from us with a not at fault car accident.

I got great money from the insurance company for the 100 series, so I decided to step up to a 200 series. After a few months of searching, I came upon a 13 LX which was in my price range, and made it through all of my service record checks. So I drove 2 hours away to New Jersey and bought it.

Funny thing about the 13 LX.. in the pocket behind the passengers front seat I found 3 uncashed checks totaling about $11,000. I mailed them back to the address on the check with a handwritten note explaining where I found them, and asking the recipient if he had the glovebox manuals for the car. He mailed me the original manuals, and included a note saying the truck was fantastic, and he never had an issue with it. He ended up buying a new LX.

Enjoy your new LX. I have a similar story but my love affair started in the 80’s in high school with the FJ40’s and FJ60’s. I recently moved to Chicago from N California and wanted something substantial for driving in the snow. I started stalking 80’s then 100’s and finally ended up with a 2011 LX570 I found in Texas. I absolutely love it. My only issues were I wanted bright modern headlights and better brakes. A set of Hikari LED bulbs fixed the night lighting and a set of StopTech/TRD pads fixed the brakes. I couldn’t be happier. (Except maybe for better gas mileage or range.)
Welcome to the family.

Welcome to Chicagoland! Glad to hear from a fellow Northwest suburbanite! Most of the days, majority of roads are cleared unless it's a heavy buzzard.

You give me additional ideas ...sure headlights are weak...my 2004 ES330 has HID lights that are sharper, and brighter. Reading your post it seemed you had to tinker with light assembly. I am not that handy, may be one day I will be...By the way, great post, and very informative?

Breaks....I will take on them when the time comes for my break work.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Since you asked for stories, I'll share mine.

I've been a car guy for quite some time, and I've had quite a few different cars. I was at a stoplight, and saw an 80 series landcruiser with a swing out tire carrier that was lightly modified. I thought to myself 'What's the deal with landcruisers?', and started researching them.

I drove five Wranglers in a row - so I was very familiar with 4wd / offroad, and I fell in love with the idea of getting back into an offroad capable vehicle that was actually reliable.

Fast forward a year or two, and I spot an 80 series parked at a lawnmower repair shop. A year later it was still there, so I stopped in. Long story short, I bought it really cheap - and that began my first step down the landcruiser path.

I daily drove the 80 series for a few years, because my 'expensive' cars were sports cars. I got into automobile racing, and I was driving an S2000 at the time.

My wife and I decided to start a family, so I decided that daily driving a vehicle from 1991 wasn't an optimal family hauler. Considering my S2000 wouldn't look good with a child seat, I sold it and bought an 07 100 series LX with the night vision. I drove that for a few years, and it was eventually taken from us with a not at fault car accident.

I got great money from the insurance company for the 100 series, so I decided to step up to a 200 series. After a few months of searching, I came upon a 13 LX which was in my price range, and made it through all of my service record checks. So I drove 2 hours away to New Jersey and bought it.

Funny thing about the 13 LX.. in the pocket behind the passengers front seat I found 3 uncashed checks totaling about $11,000. I mailed them back to the address on the check with a handwritten note explaining where I found them, and asking the recipient if he had the glovebox manuals for the car. He mailed me the original manuals, and included a note saying the truck was fantastic, and he never had an issue with it. He ended up buying a new LX.

Thank you for sharing your story. Sure your happening seems gradual and progressed over years. Things happen for a reason, whether it's a marriage or an accident (I suppose I should not be using them in the same sentence?)... I am glad you found a GOOD LX. About you returning those uncashed checks....that's something!

After reading your story, I checked my LX back pockets. I found something too... not the cash, not the uncashed checks... but a funeral house cap....:)

Welcome to Chicagoland! Glad to hear from a fellow Northwest suburbanite! Most of the days, majority of roads are cleared unless it's a heavy buzzard.

You give me additional ideas ...sure headlights are weak...my 2004 ES330 has HID lights that are sharper, and brighter. Reading your post it seemed you had to tinker with light assembly. I am not that handy, may be one day I will be...By the way, great post, and very informative?

Breaks....I will take on them when the time comes for my break work.

Thanks for sharing your story.
The headlights are easy to switch over to LED with the Hikari bulbs. Just like a regular headlight bulb change. Follow this link to the thread on that. Headlight Retrofit for 2008 - 2011 LX570

IMG_3087.jpg

Need your thoughts on whether I really needed an alignment? Please see the attached report before and after diagrams. I just wanted to know what is the acceptable ranges to live with?

During prepurchase inspection, my LX failed the alignment. While I did not feel any sway to either left or right, I thought I would get it done.So I went to a local Toyota dealership to get it done. One less thing to worry. But I am curious whether I being overly cautious to baby this beast!

Thanks!

Last edited:
View attachment 2045840

Need your thoughts on whether I really needed an alignment? Please see the attached report before and after diagrams. I just wanted to know what is the acceptable ranges to live with?

During prepurchase inspection, my LX failed the alignment. While I did not feel any away to either left or right, I thought I would get it done.So I went to a local Toyota dealership to get it done.

Thanks!
The caster on the right front MAY make the it feel as if the right front wheel is trying tack every groove and imperfection in the road. I don’t think you’ll have an excessive tire wear issue but my guess is it’ll feel much better if you get it aligned. Straight line will be improved.

Will be my next project for sure after my crazy busy business trips. Have you found a good technician for your LX needs in the 'burbs?
So far, my technician is me. It hasn't needed anything major so I do it all myself (oil, brakes, maintenance). I have a mechanic that runs a shop out of his house that I use for things I don't want to do. I'm coming up on 120,000 and I'd like to do the fluids in the diffs, transferase and transmission as well as the AHC system but don't know when I will find the time. I'll probably to filter and plugs myself.

I wouldn't worry about those alignment specs if you don't notice anything in the wheel when you are driving.

Nice story, once you get use to the quality of the LX its hard to find a replacement later on even if it is a new car.

So far, my technician is me. It hasn't needed anything major so I do it all myself (oil, brakes, maintenance). I have a mechanic that runs a shop out of his house that I use for things I don't want to do. I'm coming up on 120,000 and I'd like to do the fluids in the diffs, transferase and transmission as well as the AHC system but don't know when I will find the time. I'll probably to filter and plugs myself.

I wouldn't worry about those alignment specs if you don't notice anything in the wheel when you are driving.
That's cool! I had my 120k done at an independent shop referred to me by @Reckless

THE MODS I MADE (not many...with respect to many here):

Now that I have my own LX570, I wanted to baseline it. Started with 120k mile service. My LX came with winter tires, so I wanted to have all season tires as I don't want to drive in winter tires all year round. Looked at Bridgestone s and Michelin s. What the heck this is my opportunity to change wheels as well... On eBay I came across a set of brand new 18 inch wheels (with Michelin LTX AT/2s) from Tundra TRD Pro take offs. But they came with Toyota logos Wheel caps. So I ordered TRD wheel caps.

The story does not end there... with new wheels, TPMS sensors started throwing errors. So it's time to get a new set of TPMS sensors. My advice, get them from EBay or Amazon, where you could get OEM ones for $20-25 each and get them installed at Costco. They charge $14 per tire. Now they are installed.

Now I go on a 300 mile drive and come back to see my LX hood chipped at 50+ places... So I ordered Dr. ColorChip kit to mask them..... Yet to try it out... Should i get a hood protector or not? That's for another day!

So what about the driving experience? The great part of owning an LX. It drives like a dream... Can't wait to take it out for a long drive... I have put 1600 miles in a months time just driving around town. I feel I am driving a muscle car... Never short and f breath...

i like the engine growl...when it starts ...like everyone else... When I show it off to friends, they don't believe it's 10 year old car. That will make you proud and feel good about your decision!

Only advice I have, ignore the MPG display in dash... and enjoy the ride....

I would love to hear your stories..... Share them..

In the next post, I would like talk about all the advice I received from the MUD folks!

Awesome, just sold my LC100 and am about to pull the trigger on a 2010 LX570. How much did those wheels set you back btw? I've seen all kinds of prices on craigslist. My first mod is to put TRD or LC wheels on the LX.

My impressions so far. I've driven an LX470 with a modded suspension, pretty nice, but not super smooth. My stock LC100 had a very floaty smooth suspension but vibrated a bit at lights and the suspension would shudder over some bumps, also the wind noise was more than I liked. That's why I've decided to sell it and get a newer, plusher cruiser.

I've test-driven a 2016 LC, and 2014 LX570, and just today a 2008 LX570. Call me crazy, but the 2008 LX570 was the only one that gave me that solid tank-like feeling of my LC100, it was also the smoothest and nicest to ride. There is one in Houston tomorrow with an impeccable service record I'll likely buy tomorrow. Black just like yours!

Before I bought my first cruiser I wasn't sure what I wanted, so I test drove a bunch of cars, some new some older. Everything let me down, they felt cheap, plasticy, uninspired, pasteurized. All new cars have horrible visibility, digital everything, they feel light and cheap. That's why I love cruiser so much, and I guess.

Awesome, just sold my LC100 and am about to pull the trigger on a 2010 LX570. How much did those wheels set you back btw? I've seen all kinds of prices on craigslist. My first mod is to put TRD or LC wheels on the LX.

My impressions so far. I've driven an LX470 with a modded suspension, pretty nice, but not super smooth. My stock LC100 had a very floaty smooth suspension but vibrated a bit at lights and the suspension would shudder over some bumps, also the wind noise was more than I liked. That's why I've decided to sell it and get a newer, plusher cruiser.

I've test-driven a 2016 LC, and 2014 LX570, and just today a 2008 LX570. Call me crazy, but the 2008 LX570 was the only one that gave me that solid tank-like feeling of my LC100, it was also the smoothest and nicest to ride. There is one in Houston tomorrow with an impeccable service record I'll likely buy tomorrow. Black just like yours!

Before I bought my first cruiser I wasn't sure what I wanted, so I test drove a bunch of cars, some new some older. Everything let me down, they felt cheap, plasticy, uninspired, pasteurized. All new cars have horrible visibility, digital everything, they feel light and cheap. That's why I love cruiser so much, and I guess.
Best wishes to you! I like my 2009 LX570 and mainly early 6-speed trans ones. I don't like the 8-speed transmissions. More gears don't translate in to any better response, it's only garbage marketing. Just because you have 4 hands you won't eat better...:) (stictly my opinion...ymmv) 8/9-speeds are slouches in my opinion. No wonder you feel solid with early versions of LX570s.

You have 3 suspension modes with LX570 - Comfort/Sport/In between. I ride with in-between ones.

I agree other cars look plasticy in front of LX. In fact LX570 looks more plasticy compared to LX470. 470 got more wood and makes it feel that it's better built from looks wise.

If you happen to live in the active parts of the country (South, West, Mountainous regions, West coast) there are ton of take-offs that go cheap (really cheap) on Craigslist and on eBay if you could pick up instead of shipping. I don't have that luxury so I had to ship them. Regular 18 inch Tundra wheels are much cheaper than TRD Pro wheels. I bought set of 5 (including spare) 18 inch wheels with OEM Michelin LTX AT2s for around $1400 including shipping. I have heard people getting a set of 4 for 800-900 range. EBay has a lot of listings from custom tireshops and private sellers. Estimate $300 for shipping.

20 inch wheels are not that bad if you run Michelin latitudes or defender LTX. So you don't have to change wheels unless you want to go offroading. Since I had to get summer tires, I think I went on little splurging spree and ended up with wheels as well.

I am sure you would enjoy LX570 either on 20 or 18inch!

Best!

Last edited:
@gaijin @TeCKis300 @linuxgod thanks for your posts and responses to my questions during pre purchase and post ownership of my LX. @Reckless @linuxgod thanks for suggesting trust worthy places to take my vehicle for service. @UCrazyKid for your suggestions on what else I can start doing for my LX (headlights for sure) and @GoISU for the info on Fluidfilm undercoating to keep the rust away. Now I need to find time to get away on my LX!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom