Builds Thed's Mod Journal ('22 GX460) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ohh, how I'd love a Toyota green (or Toyota tan) GX!
My first 4Runner a 1994 mint & was green, was probably the coolest car I wish I didn’t crash and let go to insurance. But 19 and dumb…😂. Might wrap my GX cause the black will get boring and I keep ogling at 60/80series

I tried to recreate the photo I took of Big Lexy after I did the lift. I think I got it pretty close...

IMG_20211107_092709119_HDR.jpg

20220918_112559.jpg

Looks great! Is that the victory front bumper?

The lady and I love Big Lexy, but she is still wanting a "doors-off" experience. Looks like we're going to be adding to the stable. Nothing special as these go, but it's going to be more than enough to have fun. Since the GX is an auto with four doors, this is going to be a stick with two doors. And it's green because it'll be hers lol

Since I'm still using my original reservation from July 2020 (which carries price protection) and the dealer is giving me below-invoice pricing, we're going to save like $5k off MSRP on this thing. Even if we decide that we don't like it (I've driven a stick Bronco already, it doesn't disappoint), we can always flip it for a profit.

bronco res.png

Tell me you're getting the sasquatch trim! :bounce::clap:

Anyone in NC get a BMC and can recommend a place to have it done? Preferably close to Raleigh? As previously stated, my welding skills are terrible.

Installed some Diode Dynamics SSC2 Pros in Combo optics.

Don't @ me on the dirty rig. I've been busy lol

20221229_132907.jpg

For mounts, I took a little bit of a gamble. I bought these from Amazon for a 2010+ 4Runner. I had enough saved up from Upside (cash back app for gas stations, gives about a dollar and a half back per fill-up!) and was able to get an Amazon gift card for it. They fit just fine, remarkably. They're by no means perfect, but I essentially got them for free. Can't beat it.

Amazon product ASIN B07Y2SJJZC

Last edited:
Thought I recognized that profile pic from B6G lol. Build looks super clean so far!

Thought I recognized that profile pic from B6G lol. Build looks super clean so far!
I don't know why I'm putting myself through the pain of waiting for a Bronco again. Still checking every Thursday.

I don't know why I'm putting myself through the pain of waiting for a Bronco again. Still checking every Thursday.

July res and no end in sight for me. Dealing with my Bronco pain by focusing on the GX 😅

This is why I went down to a 17" wheel. More sidewall, more flex at low psi in the AT3W.

As long as the rims clear brakes it seems to be a smart move, more sidewall always a good thing👍

Reactions: r2m
LFD Crossbars installed. Haven't gotten higher than 50 MPH yet so no comment on wind noise at the moment.

kWgCVOY-3Pi-8YPWh4jExv8sGgQ5QknPBSEEwHd8HWoewNzKr3fG8sdqWZmez1wjl2Zk8EX4Bdx-5HRc_Dyb14YtFAaynUXLLn0chx10viYQYjTU6Sl0GXkUix_ioU0o0ff8In2LcTCTDI9ZdfHKcbwr-t0B54ftxT-athdLHjvVk3hvwZj4lTw2-lJ0QcNFCio4bf4VnrxDuxT0L5vlCvkjK3nIYr2mETfbrUNdYfmdCFFSmlEw_0d9lXuL7rwq-VCU-7cUdabK-IsV7KmksVL-PP3jdJuEPax5250Wx_0FV2S49VuY_-5zAC6byFPk27l8L4gJKQ8pktHZoskxR7YRJR1tGo9IkhwvUbZzNc8IQ6q5X_Dc05EYSfOtdTEuyxIdV0hC20TopGjt8P4XH-aR6UtG5yny2zsJuwJXtsarbM_WZgzn1lYQB80fXhPeTRAUTT7hrpzWQ2C2SDQulHJPmjRW0kJ4_6g9rC_aYE8uRfdFz8aFRwlxZRM6gi5NwT2LwfHRKroj0DCLkumM_dYf1uAjdujj4XSMuH8SRnVXzAjBgVQzJtTGpxAJi-3cQAsq8fn80pSrRlngxPZd2W2xc67Uu4eHBYK-PnP_gtvGNjh-KMlDHsRak333Oacy3D1J50IIfXgFU9aF1T7UYABq1eKGjb8HzmSvrFnhOQaSoKk5Y2LzXwucD-M5CDHd2UbZbBkAS2Ixsa2d-XYNRru7MLcQ8HfyetU251SDYD-dY91GdvsEi_dnYwPLJb22K8EjrPPfU9r1lc4sqv6vvOXAbRS3-LkmOmezYGk8YXyepOIKLGHb2PTh5l2LcY21WtmmfyqRsZBvDElm7IiUuBXKWt24ZY9V_SwG6spo5O9S2Zz2cz1ov0wlxKekaqpz1wU2PK_SfgQK2_R0pCXPxbdmz7TXETIOzpKRk8ptcFzWBahz4w=w2106-h1580-s-no
How are you liking those crossbars (I'm considering a purchase - they are the only ones I know of that seem to make (one person) installation/de-installation less of a hassle)

How are you liking those crossbars (I'm considering a purchase - they are the only ones I know of that seem to make (one person) installation/de-installation less of a hassle)
Pros:
+They are sturdier than I thought they'd be. I'd have no issue jumping up and down on one of them if I could keep balance worth a damn. I'd be more concerned about the OEM aluminum rails more than these.
+Endless mounting options and room for modifications if desired. I'm thinking of taking some 1/16" flat stock and tying them together for light mounting options as well as aesthetics. They certainly don't need a tie for strength.
+Looks pretty good.
+Shipped quick.
+Great shipping materials. Very secure in the box, with little room for the UPS guys to damage these if they tried. A+ job here.

So-so:
=Wind noise isn't too bad, but it is there. Thankfully it's not at an annoying frequency. Expecting no wind noise would be unreasonable, but they are just a tiny bit louder than I wanted. Just a tiny bit. Nothing the radio at my normal listening volume doesn't drown out anyways. Not something that would keep me from buying them again but I feel like it's something that people need their expectations set for before they buy. There's a reason why the factory bars look like airfoils instead of these beefy boys.

Cons:
-I'm always going to wish that aftermarket car products are $100 cheaper than they are, no exception here.
-Some of the paint (powdercoating?) scratched off then installing due to the interference fit of the center section and the legs. No metal is showing but it is visible paint damage that was impossible to avoid. These are shipped in the fully contracted position.
-I've only driven these for one tank's worth of fuel but so far we're not looking good here. DEFINITELY not seeing the highway fuel economy my naked roof was seeing. Again, it's only been one tank, but I'm seeing more of a hit from these than from any other of the mods combined.

Install took an hour or so just because there's so much adjustment in this product it feels like it just takes forever to get them lined up right. I placed one of the bars as close to the shark fin as I dared and made sure that there was 340mm of space between the bars. If you set the wind deflector as far back as it can go it leaves just enough space for the sunroof. I don't know if that's what the instructions said to do, I just pulled my man card out and just went to town. 😂 Using moderate pressure with a rubber mallet really helps free the center section from the legs as well as provide fine adjustment. Be warned that they're all going to be different lengths as the factory rails bow inward as you make your way to the rear of the car; something I never noticed until I was installing these.

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
Who's seen this little gem? I like it a lot...

That looks like a good option when OEM is costing over $500. I sure would like to see more than one picture that isn't rendered though. I wonder if you lose more spare tire space too.

That looks like a good option when OEM is costing over $500. I sure would like to see more than one picture that isn't rendered though. I wonder if you lose more spare tire space too.
From the other pictures it looks like it may increase space versus the OEM hitch and the Curt.

There's also another option that doesn't have the recovery loops for roughly the same price as the OEM hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom