The wait is over! The GX has arrived! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone! My name is Brian and I live in St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands. I am new to posting on the forum and wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. I have been lurking on the site for some time as I was doing my due diligence and research for the perfect rig and I finally settled on the 03-09 Lexus GX models. After searching the web from North Carolina to Florida and even Puerto Rico I finally found a great deal. I cant believe how much information is out there if you look. I have learned a lot of great info from many of the members and will be modifying my rig as soon as the $$ gets saved up.

I purchased my first Toyota product from Puerto Rico, (Lexus GX) about 6 weeks back and i just took delivery of it last week. I found a 2004 Lexus GX 470 Pearl white with 105,000 miles for $12,000. I flew from St. Croix to Puerto Rico to meet the seller at a Lexus Dealership to find out what was wrong with it. After a clean car fax and detailed visual inspection and the Pre-purchase inspection at the dealer I negotiated the price down to $10,100. A pretty fair deal considering i needed to spend about $2,000 to get the rig back to tip top shape, general maintenance stuff nothing major. Since i needed to replace most of the bushing in the front and needed new shocks any way I put that $$$ toward a lift kit from Toytec. I cant wait to get this thing dirty! I spent about $1,600 for the 3" lift kit with new SPC upper control arms and diff drop kit. Now I need to save up some $$$ before I can have it put on. I am also doing the airbag conversion to coils and shock in the rear. I cant wait to feel the difference in ride quality. It rides very sloppy now with the bad bushings and shocks. I have many little mods to do myself but the lift is out of my scope of expertise and I dont have the tools either.

The first thing i did when i took delivery of the new rig was to get the windows tinted and add a sun strip on the windshield. Next I had the carpets steam cleaned, headlights polished, seats conditioned, and a good detail and wax job. Looking pretty clean now. :steer: I plant to black out all the chrome on this rig and the wheels too. My first try with the removable plastic paint was to plasti-dip the grille. My other projects include LEDs for the interior and the running boards, speaker repair for the front 6x9s and rear 6' door speakers.

Next on the long list of wants are sliders and steel bumper from Souther Style Speed and offset Method wheels and 285/75/17 BFK KOs. :cheers:

IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1617.JPG
IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1617.JPG
IMG_1612.JPG
IMG_1618.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG

Welcome! My next GX might have to be white...I quite like that color.

Awesome GX, great deal, perfect setting - enjoy!!!!!

Congratulations. The I'm a big fan of the GX470 and specifically the white GX470 is my wife's favorite vehicle. I'm 100% certain that you will love it and I think that you got a great deal. I used to live in Puerto Rico when I was a kid and my family would sail to St. Croix often. I envy you. I live in Hawaii now so it's not that bad but I have a soft spot in my heart for the Virgin Islands.

Congrats on the new rig, it looks great! My brother lives in St Croix as well.
Hmmm. What is your brothers name and what does he do here if you dont mind me asking? Its a fairly small island where everyone knows everyone. I live out on the west side and run a flyboard and Jetski rental called West End Water Sports.

Welcome and that's a great start. St Croix is a pretty awesome place to drive a built gx.
Thanks for the comment Dogbite. Once the lift is installed I will be able to take the trails to the north shore of the island and visit the tide pools. There are quite a bit of scenic trails to explore here. Everyone thinks im crazy to lift and offroad a Lexus, my wife included but its my ride! I have had jeeps all my life but I quite like the ride of the Lexus. Ill be sure to take pics and video once im ready for the trails.

Congratulations. The I'm a big fan of the GX470 and specifically the white GX470 is my wife's favorite vehicle. I'm 100% certain that you will love it and I think that you got a great deal. I used to live in Puerto Rico when I was a kid and my family would sail to St. Croix often. I envy you. I live in Hawaii now so it's not that bad but I have a soft spot in my heart for the Virgin Islands.

Tmyers, I was supposed to move to Hawaii before I got side tracked here for a house sitting gig. After a year on the island with my best friend and wife I realized I was finally home. I really love this place and you cant beat the weather and clear water. It does help that I own a business and work at the beach 5 days a week. Its still on my bucket list to make it to Hawaii and see first hand what its all about. Hawaii is what I always dreamed about when living stateside and then I found St.Croix.

Hmmm. What is your brothers name and what does he do here if you dont mind me asking? Its a fairly small island where everyone knows everyone. I live out on the west side and run a flyboard and Jetski rental called West End Water Sports.

Ryan McLain, he works at Zion Modern kitchen. Cook/chef. He's been there about a year and a half. He loves it.

IMG_1628.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1635.JPG
I has been a while since I have updated my progress on the log awaited GX 470 island build. Since my first post I blacked out the emblems on the rear of the GX along with the chrome strip with more Plastidip. I have attached a few photos of my process. All I did was clean the emblems well with alcohol and q tips and spray three coats from various angles. A good tip to remove the paint from small places inside the emblems is a tooth pick.

Whats up everyone? Just after this small mod I talked my good friend and local/personal mechanic into helping me install the 3'' bilstein 5100 adjustable coil overs and toytec springs and shocks conversion in the rear of the GX. Everyone thinks im crazy for lifting the Lexus. I just laugh and say Its my ride. Any my wife is eyeing the GX also telling me she is going to take it once im finished working on it. Not too sure about that but I will make her do a little tail riding with it.

I did a lot of research from members builds and other forums before choosing this lift over others. My criteria was Price, Performance, and lastly looks. I really liked the set up from TOYTEC and their customer service was really great. Gerry from TOYTEC answered all my questions and was very helpful and made me feel a little more at ease spending my hard earned $1,600 on this lift. It took a little longer for the parts to arrive because I have to ship them a second time to get down to the US Virgin Islands. First ship to Miami and then onto the boat to get to the island. I am used to big bulky stuff taking a while to get down here. I usually order tires online and ship them down here also because they are so expensive here. That reminds me. Has anyone else purchased tires from discounttiredirect.com? I can never get ahold of anyone on the phone. Their website works perfectly but forget about getting ahold of a sales person or customer service. They have the best prices but 0 customer service. Very sad.

I did not take very detailed pictures of the install but just grabbed the camera when I had a free few seconds here and there. This install took us 2 days for the front and 3 hours for the rear. The front took a little longer because we had to install new lower control arm bushings and ball joints so everything had to come off the front end. Steven and I replaced the UCAs with SPC adjustable and ones I added to my TOYTEC lift. I was really impressed with the quality of all the parts I got and I am interested in how the truck will ride compared to the bad front shocks and bad lower arm bushings. The GX is still in the shop finishing up the new timing belt, water pump, radiator, and diff service front middle and rear. Steven found my transfer case was leaking so we had to order some new seals. This means another week with having to wait to test the new suspension. I guess all good things come to those who wait. Here are the pics. Feel free to chime in with comments, suggestions. I will add more pics when I pick up the GX from the shop showing the stance and profile.

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1692.JPG

With the front tires on it looks like I will need some wheel spacers to off set the wheels a little. And the 265s look pretty small now. Is 285 70 17 big enough for the 3'' lift? Have not checked steering clearance yet but should be fine. I was also looking at 17x9 MK6 gunmetal 6 spoke wheels. Is 9'' too wide? I think it would look really good but not sure about the fit. Also the previous owner replaced these airbags not too long ago so they are still good for anyone looking to fix a leaky airbag. They are for sale just PM me. Also the pump for the airbag system.

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

Some shots of the rear shocks and springs and toyota bump stops. I was not too sure about taking off the other bump stops that are on the frame since I have bump stops on the springs now. What do yall think?

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom