THE unofficial Durabak Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

durabak interior with zero rust

I went the full interior, paint strip, zero-rust coat and durabak. Used the pressure washer to get all the paint bits out after a liberal application of Talstrip (twice).

Effed up when I ordered the durabak and only got a quart (brain fart) so I bought a gallon of black herculiner and then did the grey quart over as the final layer. A little bit of black shows through the grey if you look real close, however overall I'm real stoked with the outcome. I also sprayed mine with a cheapo undercoat gun off ebay, real happy with the results and the application. Spraying is very easy. Used plenty of tarps and plastic to cover everything in the garage, over spray was easy to clean up with xylene as long as it was done quick.

stripped, sanded, zero-rust, herc, durabak
IMAG0477.jpg
IMAG0483.jpg
IMAG0487.jpg

final grey layer
IMAG0498.jpg

Sorry for the Hi-jack but here's mine.

You started a great thread and I thought I'd add the pics of the job I just completed today.

So here's the story.

I purchased an INTI roof rack which arrived yesterday and before I install it I wanted to protect my roof and gutters from possible fuel spills from the fuel cans I know I'll be carrying on occasion.

My roof and gutters were/are in perfect condition with ZERO rust so stripping the paint and the original gutter sealant made me a little uneasy. So hopefully with the Durabak I'll never have to worry about rust.

1. Etching Primer
2. 3 sprayed coats of Durabak. Sand, UV, Tectured.
3. Close up.
Etching primer.jpg
3 sparyed coats of Durabak Sand UV tectured.jpg
3 coats close up.jpg

Im doing the cab of my 86 truggy in grey to match the dash etc, no room really to spray it unless I pull everything out of it and honestly don't want to deal with the dash etc

Looks like a god idea, but the surface is pretty rough - how does it clean up after it becomes really dusty/muddy etc..?

Looks like a god idea, but the surface is pretty rough - how does it clean up after it becomes really dusty/muddy etc..?

Pressure washer should suffice. When mine has been really bad, I went to a do it yourself wash and used the broom looking brush on the durabak area and it looks great. I think I'm pushing 3 years and it still looks immaculate.

Thinking of non textured white Durabak on my 40 and black non textured inside the tub, thoughts?
How has yours held up, how is the finish and would you do it again?

However long it's been (replying on ipad, pita), it's holding up well. It is thinning. I will likely do a maintenance coat. Still looks great. That spot I fixed with rust is bubbling through....apparently I didn't seal it off or stop the rust, but overall still extremely pleased.

Yes. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

You should be sure to chat with folks at Durabak company they're super helpful and nice. They really know what they're talking about too. I was chatting to Joe over durabakcompany.com and even called up mid project for help, real pleased with their customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom