The thread I never thought I'd start... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just remember, "You can piss in the crank case and it will say 'thank you' and keep running." When everything is clean it will look much better and should surprise you in a good way. You've got this.

Just remember, "You can piss in the crank case and it will say 'thank you' and keep running." When everything is clean it will look much better and should surprise you in a good way. You've got this.

Pissing in the crank case is for the MIGHTY 3FE!

The 1FZ-FE can't handle that...

Well, the saga continues. Went fishing with my son. On the way home I hear a clank. Not a clunk but a clank. More high pitched than normal driveline clunk. It peaked my interest. Then I heard some more clanks. Relative to speed not rpms. Then it went away. So...

You're just paranoid. Drive on till you can't. It probably just wants to go to Home Depot.;)

I'll bet it's your head gasket.

You're just paranoid. Drive on till you can't. It probably just wants to go to Home Depot.;)

Haha. Probably so. I pulled a sample of tranny fluid to send to Blackstone just for grins. I was going to pull an oil sample since it's been 3k since I sent the last one and they said to shorten the interval from 5k. Curious to see how they come back. The tranny fluid looked brand new and didn't smell burned.

Then I went to fill the tranny and noticed the PO used Dexron III instead of II. IIRC Dexron is backwards compliant correct? So III is ok? I can honestly say I've never changed the tranny fluid on my 80s myself.

Dex III is fine. Most of the multi-vehicle types are fine. Maxlife Synthetic ATF works fine and is a good deal. Mobil1 is my favorite but it's hard to find for less than $10 per quart, where as the Maxlife is $20 per gallon.

If you have high mile 80s, I would recommend you do drain and fills of 4 quarts with each oil change for awhile.

My 92 has less than 2k miles since I had the transmission flushed and replaced the mesh screen. My buddy owns an AAMCO Transmission shop. He said the trans fluid that was it is came out looking like new and the screen didn't need replaced. He replaced it anyway since I had a new one.

The 93 is drained now. I'll add the 4 qts of Maxlife and see what Blackstone says.

Is the drive flange inside the transmission housing? Isn't this the most common failure point that people talk about on the 93-94?

Dex III is fine. Most of the multi-vehicle types are fine. Maxlife Synthetic ATF works fine and is a good deal. Mobil1 is my favorite but it's hard to find for less than $10 per quart, where as the Maxlife is $20 per gallon.

If you have high mile 80s, I would recommend you do drain and fills of 4 quarts with each oil change for awhile.

Is the drive flange inside the transmission housing? Isn't this the most common failure point that people talk about on the 93-94?

No, it's outside the front hub on both sides. Held on by the cone washers. Is shorter and has a shorter splined surface than later ones and so it strips out more easily.

No, it's outside the front hub on both sides. Held on by the cone washers. Is shorter and has a shorter splined surface than later ones and so it strips out more easily.

Ok. Thanks.

Woops. Soooo...27,000 miles between tranny fluid changes is....Bad?

No. should be fine once in good shape.

So I think the clank is something to do with the front locker. When my son and I were fishing earlier I was exercising the lockers. Rear locked up right away. Front never did lock up. Had not used it for 3 months or so. Didn't put two and two together.

Just went and drove it and tried locking it up again on gravel and got the same clank.

Thoughts?

When it engages? Or continuously?

One clank when it engages. But it's not the normal driveline clunk. It's more of a ping. Then I had it do it under throttle about 10-12 pings. Then it stopped when I let off the gas. Hasn't happened again.

Odd cruiser noises are either self healing or the first horseman of the apocalypse. By the time you hear it, the damage is done. I say, drive on (after greasing the spines of the drive shafts).

Odd cruiser noises are either self healing or the first horseman of the apocalypse. By the time you hear it, the damage is done. I say, drive on (after greasing the spines of the drive shafts).

Yeah. And I think I'm a bit skittish/paranoid right now.

It's a weird feeling. 25 years of owning Land Cruisers and I've never felt worried about one blowing up and leaving me stranded. Something about this one. It's probably the karma from 10+ years of taking sh!t about the 1FZ-FE! Ha.

I'm going to keep driving it. If she blows, she blows.

One clank when it engages. But it's not the normal driveline clunk. It's more of a ping. Then I had it do it under throttle about 10-12 pings. Then it stopped when I let off the gas. Hasn't happened again.
To me that sounds normal. My front locks instantly with a noticeable "clank".

Not sure exactly sure what you mean by "doing it under throttle" though"

To me that sounds normal. My front locks instantly with a noticeable "clank".

Not sure exactly sure what you mean by "doing it under throttle" though"

When I gave it gas it clanked repeatedly about 10-13 times.

I'm embarrassed to admit this.

The clanking sound is my rear U joints. I crawled underneath this morning, wiggled and felt a little play. Removed the rear driveshaft. They are toast! Ordered up new ones and replacing them tomorrow. My buddy owns an AAMCO and I'm dropping it off there tomorrow. Costs me a case of Coors Light!

I could've sworn I replaced them on this rig. But I checked my spreadsheet and didn't. I can't believe I hadn't already. Stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom