The Restoration of a HZJ73V-MES... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really nice HZJ73.

Sometimes I consider getting a Tacoma for a DD but I don't think I would like it long term either. You made the right choice IMHO.

It's funny selling a brand new car to daily drive something that is 30 years old, I guess part of it is nostalgia for me. I spent 8 years adventuring around in a 60 series in my youth. Sitting inside and looking out at the dash reminds me a lot of the 60 series and the freedom it gave me.

Also got some new floor rubber from @Onur , thanks again for putting the group buy together!👍
3C18BEED-E5A2-4DA2-87E1-A7F8AA4C2E95.jpeg

Today’s progress... old exhaust removed, few holes in each tube, plus a secret message from LCD found, screw driver from @Onur , part numbers for the exhaust manifold hardware & gaskets, exhaust pile to be installed tomorrow.
AD1DD3B1-EEAF-4CA5-83BB-510BD3433D88.jpeg
F1C1EBD1-C841-4A82-BA26-8E8C40BEDE9C.jpeg
72D457CA-BF60-4E78-98A7-A27CCCDAA7DB.jpeg
53E01356-29A8-4D35-99DD-29624B6CBE2D.jpeg

I had one of those exhaust pipes walked here from Germany by DHL, took almost 1.5 months in transit🤨. Also the down pipe number in the picture is an updated one for what reason I am not sure. Looks identical to me 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yep Futaba, Flat head driver from you sticking out of one of the rust holes ;)

Updated torq head manifold studs, new heat shield, forgot to ordered hardware for the heat shield. Order placed for some new stainless hardware from overland metric, not sure it’s a good idea for the heat shield but they were the only rusted bolts under the hood.
B389F227-D025-4CB8-B196-24D1A266A935.jpeg
A09E7427-7FDC-418D-BC86-A50A7F7B74D2.jpeg

986EAA69-E2AD-42ED-803C-87FF945B7825.jpeg

Added new studs/gaskets for the manifold down pipe. Part numbers for reference.
6013EA1B-44A7-46B6-B09D-0FBE0F680AA3.jpeg

9CEBD77C-C0C9-4D1C-B6D6-97D8CF558232.jpeg

Last edited:
Question time. Trying to find out what has been replaced and what hasn’t. Don’t all factory MC have TEQ stamped on them? Mine is an Aisin but no TEQ stamp seen. Does this radiator marking look OEM? Type R?

Also does anyone have a solution for a worn out emergency brake handle? The factory for my model appears to be NLA. It would seem there has to be a newer Toyota one I could retrofit.

I thought I would have had the entire exhaust system on today but I wrestled the middle section behind the t-case for too long. It seemed like every bracket was in the way, heat shield, brackets for side steps, vibration dampener etc. All of it had to come off and then go back on.

That’s all for this week, I’ll get back it on Monday.

Thanks
:beer:
67932DB0-9E18-4E16-A1D2-65F77211C624.jpeg
EAACCD8C-2FB9-4948-9A7A-B5B43B331D8A.jpeg
7E75C875-A345-4FD7-8AB6-A0586705931B.jpeg

Aisin aftermarket MCs will only say Aisin on them, not Toyota since they are technically selling under the Aisin/ADVICS aftermarket brandname and are considered OE equivalent replacement; not, OEM.

Don’t worry about the MC, looks newish.

Take picture of rad from above-- there should be a boss on the top RH tank that has some stuff written in white. If it doesn't most likely aftermarket. New OEM radiator is available in the US from your Toyota dealer: 16400-17080.

Ebrake handle assembly: 46210-60230-B0 Again, this is available through normal supply lines here in the US market.

So when's does this one get the spring-over, Toybox, tube back-half Al? :)

Aisin aftermarket MCs will only say Aisin on them, not Toyota since they are technically selling under the Aisin/ADVICS aftermarket brandname and are considered OE equivalent replacement; not, OEM.

Don’t worry about the MC, looks newish.

Take picture of rad from above-- there should be a boss on the top RH tank that has some stuff written in white. If it doesn't most likely aftermarket. New OEM radiator is available in the US from your Toyota dealer: 16400-17080.

Ebrake handle assembly: 46210-60230-B0 Again, this is available through normal supply lines here in the US market.

1} That's what I figured about the MC. I prefer it to be replaced. It also sorta looked like there was a wrench on those lines at one point.

2} Ill grab a picture of the Rad next week, again I prefer it have been replaced.

3} Annnnnnd awesome news about the brake handle. On order meow.

1} That's what I figured about the MC. I prefer it to be replaced. It also sorta looked like there was a wrench on those lines at one point.

2} Ill grab a picture of the Rad next week, again I prefer it have been replaced.

3} Annnnnnd awesome news about the brake handle. On order meow.

Hello,

Aside from the MC, get a clutch repair kit. It is a good way to refurbish it: you can end up with the new MC and a spare in case you need one.

Juan

Alrighty... Small update. I had a small hiccup while installing a rebuilt injection pump (woodruff key issues) but aside from that it is up and running again. Replaced all the fuel hoses under the hood, and about 50% of the coolant hoses. New exhaust system is on, OEM water pump, Timing Belt, most seals and gaskets on the front of the motor. Started swapping out all hardware under the hood with Metric Overland.

Still slowly swapping out all the interior plastics still available from Toyota. Some parts are NLA, and have some fading if anyone has a good techniques on restoring old plastic.

Aside from that just enjoying driving it...

Till then,
~Al :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom