The Restoration of a HZJ73V-MES... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I would start a thread for my 1991 RHD HZJ73V-MES from Japan. I am starting to amass a lot of photos/parts for it so before photos get too buried in my phone I figured it's time to post up.

No crazy plans for this truck, just restore any parts showing wear and tear. Hopefully my journey will help others with theirs.

To start somewhat near the beginning I always loved a 70 series but found them a bit out of reach since they were never sold in the U.S. So, their it was parked in the corner of my brain until it seemed feasible to obtain one. Earlier this year I had a brand new Tacoma TRD which I liked but after the "newness" wore off it felt a bit soulless, plus it had annoying low rpm hesitation right off of the lot. It was a nice comfortable truck though and I did a lot of traveling in it but I really missed daily driving a Land Cruiser.

So, I put my Tacoma up for sale and started the hunt for a 70series with a 1HZ/1FZ it. After a long search and a couple of test drives, I landed on one from LCD in Utah.

Me and the better half flew into Salt Lake City picked up the truck and spent a few weeks driving it home to Florida...

Utah...
5EA7C476-D27F-4284-92D9-CC6D7BC49BD3.jpeg
ECBF49F3-AB50-4EEA-A5F3-17B9899C54E7.jpeg
383FA652-AE05-41F9-8B04-6D49386374E9.jpeg

The blower fan was only working on two speeds. Problem evident in the photo.

Seal for the hood seemed pretty stiff and replaced with a new one. More time consuming than I would have thought. Removing the old clips without damaging the paint was a pain. Would have taken seconds if I didn’t care what I did to the paint.

A51194B5-D407-4593-88DD-8465DCCC5159.jpeg

3863433D-1A26-4A80-8524-28FED4F91460.jpeg

8E6EAC48-98C4-4A19-B73D-78E687BEAD60.jpeg

3493F16C-B06A-4FD3-87E4-82166AC394D8.jpeg

Pulled the injection pump to get rebuilt, it had the common cold leak condition. Also hunted down enough parts to replace the whole exhaust. Bought every nut and bolt to go with it.

Also replacing the exhaust manifold gaskets and hardware while I am in there.

884EA720-6ECA-473C-B1F3-9A93CF453DA4.jpeg

BB347CE8-FCFE-4BA1-B68A-214E629C5333.jpeg

78155CD9-38FA-4FD5-B558-780E02871DF8.jpeg

BCD08835-CA3D-4353-A0B2-C74BAC10E1FF.jpeg

Baller

Nice purchase. Is this HZJ730002804? Been eyeing it for a while but looks to be in Florida now :)

Yes, I think I bought it the second day it was posted on LCD site. It's been in Florida for a few months now, hopefully enjoying a new chapter of life :cool:

Yes, I think I bought it the second day it was posted on LCD site. It's been in Florida for a few months now, hopefully enjoying a new chapter of life :cool:
Where in Florida?

Congratulations! I too looked at this truck just as it hit the market, great truck!

After I saw a few posts regarding your proper shakedown ride back across the US, it appeared to end up in great hands!

I like the attention to detail, some of the items you are addressing are the ones that drive me crazy not to be perfect or near on a truck this nice!

Not to spoil the surprise of a good build thread and she looks great in the stock configuration, but any plans for bumpers? Kurt with Cruiser Outfitters has a nice set up available that were in stock and on my list for this one!

Saint Augustine where small surf and taco shops are plentiful 🏄‍♂️

Nahlu’s truck (camper) beside the surf station heading into the park is the bomb!

Saint Augustine where small surf and taco shops are plentiful 🏄‍♂️
If you ever find yourself in the Tallahassee area give me a shout. I’m in Southwest Georgia just north of Tallahassee.

Congratulations! I too looked at this truck just as it hit the market, great truck!

After I saw a few posts regarding your proper shakedown ride back across the US, it appeared to end up in great hands!

I like the attention to detail, some of the items you are addressing are the ones that drive me crazy not to be perfect or near on a truck this nice!

Not to spoil the surprise of a good build thread and she looks great in the stock configuration, but any plans for bumpers? Kurt with Cruiser Outfitters has a nice set up available that were in stock and on my list for this one!

Thanks! I do plan on some bumpers, the front will be slightly narrowed with a winch jammed inside it (going for a stock look). The rear I will buy, probably from Kurt funny enough. It will also need some low profile sliders for some light trail use.

Really nice HZJ73.

Sometimes I consider getting a Tacoma for a DD but I don't think I would like it long term either. You made the right choice IMHO.

Nahlu's, Osprey Tacos & Taco Shop all on regular rotations :playful:, Will do G-Runner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom