The Maltby Crusher, a tribute to Dad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you by chance live near Bothell Everett Highway and 180th? I’m pretty sure I saw a green cruiser rolling around without the roll bar and the windshield down around Sept 17th, was it you?
I'm further east, but right off 180th, but it was not me. I've yet to fold down the front window, nor drive around without the roll cage. If it wasn't for those two things, I would definitely say it was me.

@White Stripe I was just looking at some Icon videos on youtube where they talked about using a sun visor from a lear jet. This looks like an economical solution. I did a search, but there is a lot to choose from. Do you have a more specific one picked out? Appreciate your feedback about the iCrap. I'll probably need to do the same.

As for the bumpers, I order the ARB classic bull bars for the front (delivered in Dec) and I'm eyeing the 4 plus product rear tire mount bumper. I'd also like the ranger gobi rack, but I don't know if they'll work well together.

I'm further east, but right off 180th, but it was not me. I've yet to fold down the front window, nor drive around without the roll cage. If it wasn't for those two things, I would definitely say it was me.

@White Stripe I was just looking at some Icon videos on youtube where they talked about using a sun visor from a lear jet. This looks like an economical solution. I did a search, but there is a lot to choose from. Do you have a more specific one picked out? Appreciate your feedback about the iCrap. I'll probably need to do the same.

As for the bumpers, I order the ARB classic bull bars for the front (delivered in Dec) and I'm eyeing the 4 plus product rear tire mount bumper. I'd also like the ranger gobi rack, but I don't know if they'll work well together.
I haven't figured out which one to get. I need to measure my cage to see what length I need to fold up in between my bars and never got around to it.

The good news is, I'm in love

I really like the height and size of my new 295s.

Now the problems:

Costco mounted my tires on the wheels. I picked them as they had the lowest price around. After loading up my tires, I noticed a chip in one of the wheels...then the next wheel...and next. Every wheel was chipped. The general manager was quick to say they were buying me new wheels.

I kept the chipped ones for now. Once they have the new ones in, I drive my FJ40 in and get them replaced.

The front wheels were very tight. I sanded the rust around the hubs and was able get them on. I was mildly worried I did more damage, but I'd rather it happen to these rims.

I'll need to go back and paint my hubs, front and back. Found some good threads here on paint to use.

The back wheels, combined with the disk brakes, left me with only 5 3/4 turn on the lug bolts before they were tight. Tell me if the math is off but thats 1.5 mm x 5.75 or 8.6 mm of thread. Since the lugs are 12 mm and I need 1.5 x diameter, I need to upgrade to 18 mm of grip. My current lugs are 37 mm - ~9 mm = 28 mm to the edge of the wheel. So 28 mm + 18 mm of grip = 46 mm studs. Once again, another thread points out a Dorman which is 45.8 mm = good enough. I order a set of 12 for the back corners. I'm a little worried that the knurl is slightly larger, so it might be tight getting them in.

Took my cruiser out for the first legal drive, plates, registration, insurance. About a 4 mile drive to get lunch. After about 2 miles I noticed a lull in power and brake burning smells. I immediately turned around and started limping home. After about 200 yards, I thought a caliper was stuck and I slammed hard on the brakes. This only locked them up worst. Now I really had to give the 400 some gas to get it to move. 10 yards latter I decided to call a wrecker.

After the flat bed showed up and we took care of the paper work, I said I can probably drive it onto the ramp. Viola, brakes unlocked. He followed me home.

I ordered new calibers on all four corners while learning a lot about my brake set up. It's an aftermarket disk brake conversion, likely from JT Outfitters. The rear calibers are off a Monte Carlo front axle. Brake power is provide via Hydro Boost. Totally new concept to me, but seems extremely cool.

My carts pretty loaded from CityRacer, new soft lines all the way around but then I started thinking. Other than a trip around the block, this is the first drive since lifting via OME springs. Brakes locked after a right hand turn with the front passenger wheel. I'm starting to think that my soft line was stretched enough to collapse and trap fluid to the caliper.

I think I need extended brake lines all the way around. Any thoughts?

I’m an expert by no means, but I’ve read of the residual valve causing issues. If it lost the lock up pressure over time, the residual valve could potentially cause this to happen. Like I said, you should research this, I not sure I’m right.

Last edited:
I cant be certain, but I think that only one or two brakes were locking up.

Since I have hydro boost braking, I assume I'll need to be in GMC forums looking for answers?

Sounds like your brakes get stuck and then pressure slowly releases. To isolate where it's happening u need 2 people. One to pump the brakes, one to check for the issue. If u think its the front brakes jack the front axle up. Have the brakes pumped until they stick with foot off the brake. Immediately before pressure dissipates, starting at the master cylinder front circuit, crack the line coming out of the master 1/2 turn and hold for a sec then tighten back up and see if the brake releases. If it does release it's the master. If it doesn't release have the brakes pumped back up. Crack the line at the inlet of the front center soft line like u did the master. If pressure releases it's a weird clog in the hard line. If not pump back up and crack middle soft line at the outlet. If pressure releases it's the soft line. Work your way down the system doing this until u get to the caliper bleeder. If it still doesn't release pressure at the caliper bleeder, u have a stuck caliper. Soft lines are a likely culprit though. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks @White Stripe , great, in depth directions. I appreciate it. The only problem I have is that the brakes only locked up once while driving. I'm deciding to play it safe. I just installed rebuilt calibers on every corner and just had a new set of braided stainless brake lines fabbed up. If I get a lock up again, I'll see if I can reproduce it and trouble shoot down your steps.

I'm hoping to have the brake lines on and bled this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom