Builds The Guzzler - 2009 LX570 (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

think the root cause may be leaving the ARB twin on after my last fill
This exact thing has happened to me.
Arb instructions talk about testing the compressor by leaving it on for 15-20 mins to make sure it doesn’t kick on. If it does, you have an air leak.
I have the little arb reservoir and think my leak is there somewhere.

This exact thing has happened to me.
Arb instructions talk about testing the compressor by leaving it on for 15-20 mins to make sure it doesn’t kick on. If it does, you have an air leak.
I have the little arb reservoir and think my leak is there somewhere.
Yes. Exhibit 1 is a totally maxed out subtank after a week of sitting, normally it would be down 5 or 10 psi by then.
Exhibit 2 is me not being absolutely sure I turned it off; had to stow the porta potty setup, so was a bit distracted.

I have it on a bluetooth switch and it's controlled by the iphone. However the app isn't stateful, it just sends off and on commands, but doesn't remember what it last sent, so I have to remember. I have a switchpro clone I got a couple years ago as a christmas gift, maybe I should break down and install it.

Fired right up after 24 hours on the charger, pretty sure I forgot to turn the air compressor off and it toasted the battery over several days of short burst at 60 amps to keep my 2.5 gallon tank at 160 psi.
I've set the relay to off. Will let it sit for a few days and run the voltage again just to be sure there isn't something else amiss.

Which switchpro clone do you have?
Amazon product ASIN B07NN6VWW4
Something like this. The box is somewhere on a shelf, but very similar looking if I recall. I can't endorse (or unendorse); I haven't installed. I think it'll fit in the flip down door to the left of the steering wheel with some dremel work. Pretty sure it glows blue not green, but it's been a while since I looked at it, and that could be wishful thinking.

It's just switching, none of the fancy computer stuff a switchpro can do.

At least one LX owner has installed one and posted on it.
Post in thread 'What have you done to your 200 Series this week?'
What have you done to your 200 Series this week? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-200-series-this-week.818471/post-12740246

Last edited:

nice! Good old school relays vs solid-state mystery box. Been waiting on a switchpros sale, but that’s non-existent.

Quick snow shoe trip to Snoqualamie out of Alpental.
Snow crusty, but if you broke through it was 6 feet of wet powder deep
5E06A54C-3CD3-41A2-8305-361E6358A6B2.jpeg

78FFD0F8-AD3A-422D-950C-CD0C82E9A93E.jpeg

4DC34E07-707B-48C4-85BD-043C6ED6C898.jpeg

39259C00-EEB1-4C86-817D-676285BE43F5.jpeg

Drove 3 hours on Saturday, battery only at 12.2v. So there is still something amiss. Back on the tender.
Replaced the cabin air filter. Went back to an activated charcoal version. Recirculate door still working. It did groan a bit.

Installed the small element fire extinguisher. In this location it is easy to grab with door open, and actually can be grabbed from seat with door closed. Two 3/4” self tapping screws and the free clip that comes with the fire extinguisher.
It fits in the glove box fine, but I prefer it here.

69C1D99A-4AB0-45A8-AEE9-EAB47BCF0224.jpeg

Thought I'd review the service history. I got big .pdf from previous owner, and crossed that with the Lexus online tool and made a spreadsheet while under the blush of new ownership. Now that I've had the truck nearly three years and have a lot more experience re: what needs to be done for preventative, here's what stuck out:
Water Pump 84000 9/2012
Front Seat cushion 106000 07/2013
AHC Hydraulic Pump, Front and Rear shocks 176000 02/2016
Transfer Case Actuator 200500 06/2017
One front bumper replacement, three rear bumper replacements, and two driver side mirror replacements. It's been in a few minor accidents.

No starter or radiator replacements, so I should probably lay in a starter . . . I've got the radiator on watch already as it has had a hairline crack since I took possession, I've epoxied but will probably replace this summer.

Since I recently replaced the AHC accumulators, that whole system has been refreshed in the last five years.

Installed the small element fire extinguisher. In this location it is easy to grab with door open, and actually can be grabbed from seat with door closed. Two 3/4” self tapping screws and the free clip that comes with the fire extinguisher.

View attachment 2557612
That’s a good idea. I keep one in each door but having them mounted would be better. I was a little dubious of the mounting clips though.

That’s a good idea. I keep one in each door but having them mounted would be better. I was a little dubious of the mounting clips though.
Definitely could go with a quick fist too. If this rattles at all that’ll be my next move. I did throw a layer of friction tape on the mount.

View attachment 2557612
Might steal this idea from you! I've just got mine shoved in the gap between the center console and seat so nothing falls into the abyss.

Bought a starter. Didn’t shop too much, found one at a Lexus dealer for $200 shipped. Should have it in three weeks or so, it’s starting in FL.

Amazon product ASIN B07NN6VWW4
Something like this. The box is somewhere on a shelf, but very similar looking if I recall. I can't endorse (or unendorse); I haven't installed. I think it'll fit in the flip down door to the left of the steering wheel with some dremel work. Pretty sure it glows blue not green, but it's been a while since I looked at it, and that could be wishful thinking.

At least one LX owner has installed one and posted on it.
Post in thread 'What have you done to your 200 Series this week?'
What have you done to your 200 Series this week? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-200-series-this-week.818471/post-12740246

If it helps anyone justify the cost at all, the SwitchPros does have a couple features to manage inadvertently leaving devices on. At least that's what I tell myself as it's not a cheap proposition at all. I was pleasantly surprised with the level of integration and capability once I got one.

- Ignition switched toggling of circuits, that can also be easily overridden to use without key in place
- Low voltage disconnect (LVD) to protect and preserve battery for starting.

Bought a starter. Didn’t shop too much, found one at a Lexus dealer for $200 shipped. Should have it in three weeks or so, it’s starting in FL.

I vaguely remember seeing a thread around here about how much of a PÍA it is to get to that thing. Are you having symptoms or just preemptive?

back in college, I kept a hammer in my jeep where you have your element extinguisher. It was like a built-in anti-theft system 😂

Last edited:
If it helps anyone justify the cost at all, the SwitchPros does have a couple features to manage inadvertently leaving devices on. At least that's what I tell myself as it's not a cheap proposition at all. I was pleasantly surprised with the level of integration and capability once I got one.

- Ignition switched toggling of circuits, that can also be easily overridden to use without key in place
- Low voltage disconnect (LVD) to protect and preserve battery for starting.
For sure, if I was out buying one I’d get a switch pro or a Linx. they look pretty cool. Not really unhappy with the Bluetooth relay either. I got this as a gift, so, might as well use it.
was looking for a good place to put it this weekend-didn’t find one. am considering putting it under the dash by the obd2 port. Probably will put it In that drop down cubby though, if I can figure how to take the dash and cubby apart. It’s a perfect friction fit in there.

I vaguely remember seeing a thread around here about how much of a PÍA it is to get to that thing. Are you having symptoms or just preemptive?

back in college, I kept a hammer in my keep where you have your element extinguisher. It was like a built-in anti-theft system 😂
Preemptive, was looking at service history and didn’t see it replaced. Hopefully going to be doing radiator, alternator and starter this summer. i am also going to put in a solenoid bypass while I’m in there. Won’t cost anything and add some redundancy to one of the single points of failure.

Preemptive, was looking at service history and didn’t see it replaced. Hopefully going to be doing radiator, alternator and starter this summer. i am also going to put in a solenoid bypass while I’m in there. Won’t cost anything and add some redundancy to one of the single points of failure.
Take notes and pics of how you do the solenoid bypass. I'll be very curious, and depending on the level of effort might considering doing this pre-emptively.

That said I know you're at 200k+ already, so honestly once swapping the starter you'll probably get the rest of the life of the truck out of it without ever using that bypass :)

Take notes and pics of how you do the solenoid bypass. I'll be very curious, and depending on the level of effort might considering doing this pre-emptively.

That said I know you're at 200k+ already, so honestly once swapping the starter you'll probably get the rest of the life of the truck out of it without ever using that bypass :)
It definitely seems unlikely that the starter would fail, particularly a new one. Probably over conservative here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom